“Great service, poor value”

Kobe Beef Kaiseki 511
Ranked #1 of 470 Restaurants in Akasaka
Price range: US$46 - US$194
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Akasaka, Roppongi
Description: Winter Vacation : 12/29(Mon)~1/4(Sun) Sunday and National holiday are closed.
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

While the staff and service was excellent and offered a vegan option for my partner, I wasn't that blown away by the food itself. I think other reviewers are blindsided by high cost meaning high quality, but I've had better steak and better experiences in central London for a better price. Maybe my expectations were just set wrong; I'm glad I did it but it's not something I would repeat.

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

We have been touring Japan for the past 10d (Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Tokyo), so as an escape from all of the sushi and ramen, we decided on a good steak dinner as our last meal. Upon recommendations from family members and friends, this was the place to go to for Kobe beef.

The restaurant itself was located downstairs from a street that was no larger than a typical alleyway in the US. Our family of 4 was seated in a private room that was minimalistic with modern touches. We learned that the name of the restaurant, 511, comes from a combination of the highest quality grade of A5 beef along with a marbling score of 11 (with 12 being the highest). It’s very rare to be able to get a cow with grade A5 and level 12 marbling according to our host.

Four kaiseki options were offered, and our family chose various ones. Kaiseki is the Japanese version of a multi-course set meal, and my course contained no less than 8 different dishes. We also ordered an additional 100g cut of Chateaubriand (the best and most expensive option) for comparison tasting. I’ve never had Kobe beef offered in so many ways, from dumpling style, to tempura style, to sushi style, to standard flame grilled. The group agreed that the Chateaubriand was the most flavorful and most tender, followed by the sirloin, then the tenderloin... but all cuts were fabulously better than any prime steak at any premium steakhouse in the US. I did not need a knife to cut into my steak, and it did literally melt in my mouth! I would consider this restaurant to be fine dining, and the prices reflect that, so splurge if you can.

This meal was the cherry on top of our Japan excursion!

1  Thank trungus1
Reviewed 22 May 2018

We were there at lunch time and ate very good lunch set with reasonable price. The place was little bit hard to find but it was worth it!

Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

We wanted to try kaiseki and an A5 Kobe beef on our Tokyo trip. This restaurant answers both of these. Ordered the ¥13000 menu and we were seated in a private room. Wow. Amazing food and service. Highly recommended.

3  Thank pandacb
Reviewed 13 May 2018

After having several steak meals in Tokyo my final night had to be something special. I did the Kobe beef course menu and wasn't disappointed. Every course had Kobe beef, and I paid extra to increase the size of the entrée. The service was outstanding, and the restaurant bought my first drink since my hotel had made the reservation for me. Upon leaving I was given a beef noodle kit to make at home.

3  Thank James V