“Best dinner of our Japan trip”

Kobe Beef Kaiseki 511
Ranked #1 of 454 Restaurants in Akasaka
Price range: US$47 - US$196
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Akasaka, Roppongi
Description: Winter Vacation : 12/29(Mon)~1/4(Sun) Sunday and National holiday are closed.
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

We have been touring Japan for the past 10d (Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Tokyo), so as an escape from all of the sushi and ramen, we decided on a good steak dinner as our last meal. Upon recommendations from family members and friends, this was the place to go to for Kobe beef.

The restaurant itself was located downstairs from a street that was no larger than a typical alleyway in the US. Our family of 4 was seated in a private room that was minimalistic with modern touches. We learned that the name of the restaurant, 511, comes from a combination of the highest quality grade of A5 beef along with a marbling score of 11 (with 12 being the highest). It’s very rare to be able to get a cow with grade A5 and level 12 marbling according to our host.

Four kaiseki options were offered, and our family chose various ones. Kaiseki is the Japanese version of a multi-course set meal, and my course contained no less than 8 different dishes. We also ordered an additional 100g cut of Chateaubriand (the best and most expensive option) for comparison tasting. I’ve never had Kobe beef offered in so many ways, from dumpling style, to tempura style, to sushi style, to standard flame grilled. The group agreed that the Chateaubriand was the most flavorful and most tender, followed by the sirloin, then the tenderloin... but all cuts were fabulously better than any prime steak at any premium steakhouse in the US. I did not need a knife to cut into my steak, and it did literally melt in my mouth! I would consider this restaurant to be fine dining, and the prices reflect that, so splurge if you can.

This meal was the cherry on top of our Japan excursion!

1  Thank trungus1

Reviewed 22 May 2018

We were there at lunch time and ate very good lunch set with reasonable price. The place was little bit hard to find but it was worth it!

Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

We wanted to try kaiseki and an A5 Kobe beef on our Tokyo trip. This restaurant answers both of these. Ordered the ¥13000 menu and we were seated in a private room. Wow. Amazing food and service. Highly recommended.

3  Thank pandacb
Reviewed 13 May 2018

After having several steak meals in Tokyo my final night had to be something special. I did the Kobe beef course menu and wasn't disappointed. Every course had Kobe beef, and I paid extra to increase the size of the entrée. The service was outstanding, and the restaurant bought my first drink since my hotel had made the reservation for me. Upon leaving I was given a beef noodle kit to make at home.

3  Thank James V
Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

When in Japan, one needs to have a Kaiseki dinner and Kobe beef, among Sushi and Ramen, of course.

After 21 days in Japan, 14 of which we’re in Tokyo, this is one of the best dinning experiences I had in Japan and probably the best value for what I got in my life.

Order the Kobe-beef Course. You will be pleased by receiving excellent Kobe beef and a Kaiseki dinner format. It basically means you get a bunch of small dishes presenting Kobe beef with various cooking techniques and flavors.

For my full and detailed review, checkout the dot com of BobbyGTimes. There will be a list titled Kobe Beef in Japan.

1  Thank Robert G