“Great atmosphere”

The Iron Fairies Ginza
Ranked #1 of 44 Nightlife in Ginza
More attraction details
Owner description: A beautiful bar tucked away in Ginza, nearly all the staff speaks English, there is never a cover or seat charge and it's open late every night. A must see for the unique interior and carefully crafted cocktails. A lovely and diverse wine list is complimented by Hokkaido cheeses and fine Japanese salami. A large selection of Japanese whiskies are available as well as Japanese craft beers. A magical little place in Tokyo.
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

The cocktails are amazing! We’ve had a few Luscious and Red Velvet Martinis - check these out. Great service and glitters!!! Would love to come back!

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"tokyo"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 8 August 2018

We went for pre-dinner drinks and decided to try its cocktails.

I had Heaven Lonely Flows, which is the most ridiculous drink I've had. A liqueur glass was smothered in a huge ball of cotton candy. I was told by the server to be careful in case it toppled over. If one has to be so careful with one's drink, then it's not really worth the effort. What's more, the sticky cotton candy went everywhere: my fingers, face, my knees, my spectacles. And the drink itself? It was nothing to write home about. My second drink Fire Smacker was better. The piece of chocolate went very well with the slightly salty drink. My friend had the Tokyo Tiptoe Julep, which he declared 'the nastiest drink' he's ever had.

We didn't like the 500-yen 'cover charge', where every guest was automatically charged 500 yen.

The Iron Fairies Ginza, like its Hong Kong branch, is just too precious and self-consciously 'cool' to do anything for me.

1  Thank WKKHKQ
Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

I went to this place looking at the reviews and the pictures.

The place is definitely done up well. Magical alchemic quality to it - fairies and figurines and iron keys and butterflies hanging all over. Very mystical.

The music though did not go with the ambience created. Strange mix of pop songs spanning decades. We asked to change the song and they would refuse or simply get offended.

One cocktail ( the mint julep) was strong. And then another was super super weak (the glenmorangie was killed off completely). The service was tentative and not exactly enthusiastic. The staff did not know the age of the Yamazaki they had on hand. The lack of knowledge was a bit alarming. We wanted to stay at the bar but were asked to move inspite of it being a fairly non-busy night (it was a Wednesday night) and almost no one sitting at the bar.

This is an underground bar and not cheap at all - definitely need to up their game on all counts and not just the ambience.

1  Thank fali84
Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

What a great place, first the ambience and decoration is incredible and you just hope the drinks live up to the expectations. They don’t disappoint. Tried different cocktails and a Monkey 47 GIN. With all the choices in Ginza this is a must. Luis the Batman, great guy that knows his craft.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 April 2018

I like Ash Sutton‘s bars so I‘ll give Iron Fairies Tokyo 1.5 stars, but my drink was small, weak, and expensive and the service was unfriendly and slow. The music sucked, too.

I‘m a regular at the Iron Fairies in Bangkok and I‘ve visited the Hong Kong location, so I had to visit Iron Tokyo. So disappointed.

The place is very nice, like all of Sutton‘s bars, but I was pretty much ignored by the staff when I came in. I would have left had I not wanted to compare the three locations. Lots of empty spots, but I was told they were all reserved. Finally they found a place for me. The menu is very small, almost no food and not very many specialty cocktails, so it was easy to decide. But hard to get someone to take my order.

I had a Pink Tako, which actually comes with a real octopus garnish. I suppose it‘s meant to be eaten, but unless you can eat leather, there‘s no way it‘s edible. I chewed the smallest part and felt like a dog with a rawhide chewy.

The drink was tasty, but tiny. With virtually no alcohol. All this for about US$15.

I felt like a snack, so I ordered the mixed nuts. Which turned out to be a tiny, shallow bowl. Tasty nuts, with good variety. All yours for about US$8.

And to add insult to injury, you pay about US$10 service charge. This isn‘t a sky bar with a fantastic view of Tokyo, it‘s an underground bar.

Who plays a-ha Take on Me, non-ironically? The Iron Fairies Tokyo. Both the Bangkok and Hong Kong locations have awesome live music, but this Friday night in Tokyo, I got bad 80s pop. I‘m told they sometimes do have live music, but it doesn’t matter since I won‘t return.

So, a tiny, near alcohol-free drink, tiny bowl of nuts, poor service, and bad music, all for about $US33. What a deal.

I travel a lot and seek out interesting bars wherever I go. I especially like places with no menu and mixologists who really know what they‘re doing. I guess I‘ll have to keep looking in Tokyo, because now I can cross the Iron Fairies Tokyo off of my list.