All reviews excellent experience private bath shuttle bus breakfast and dinner the grill memorable stay odori station per person nice view english session sapporo ryokan onsen yukata baths exit
Reviewed 14 May 2018

This is one of the better hotels in Jozankei and I gladly paid the extra for it.
However, staying at this hotel was the worst hotel experience ever.

First of all, I booked a non-smoking room 4 months in advance and via a booking agency, I made a separate request for non-smoking room. Also before I finalized my booking, I did my homework and went to the hotel’s website and checked the room type very carefully (well…this hotel has 17 different room types and only 5 of them are non-smoking) and made sure that I was booking the non-smoking room.

When I checked in, they assigned me a smoking room and the smelt really really bad. Despite that I left the large window open for the entire afternoon and evening and had an air purifier at full power, I woke up in the middle of the night and had to open the window again and leave it open throughout the night.

As soon as I went into the room, I asked for a room change and the hotel asked for an upgrade fee of 9,000 Yen (about $90). At first I was willing to pay extra and I asked if I could check the non-smoking room first and then decide, the hotel refused to do so. The hotel asked me to pay first and only then they could show me the room. At that point, I just gave up the room change. Of course the hotel did not do anything about the smell that I mentioned earlier.

Later that day after checking all the emails and booking details, I realized that I indeed booked a non-smoking room, so I tried again at the front desk to verify the fact that I booked a non-smoking room and pointed out (by showing pictures) that the room that I was assigned to was different from the one that I booked. However, the hotel manager kept saying that the booking agency did not request for a non-smoking room and blamed everything to the booking agency.

To make it worse, this hotel does not speak English. The person who speaks the best English does not even understand the word ‘decide.’ Luckily, I was able to speak a little Japanese and had a translation app to help me out.

Last, the service mind at this hotel is non-existent. As I was having a bit of trouble communicating with the hotel staff regarding the room change, I asked for another staff who speaks better English. I did not mean to be rude and I think my request was a reasonable one since this hotel is not a small boutique ryokan with a few rooms. This hotel has 60 rooms!! However, I guess the staff was rather offended by my request and she just snapped. Ever since, she was giving me this attitude throughout the dinner (well…we has Japanese Kaiseki Dinner and she was serving us since she was the only one who speaks English at the hotel) and refused to communicate in English and kept using Japanese.

I had a very strong feeling that this hotel neither cares nor wants foreign tourists at their place.
Please avoid this hotel, especially if you are a foreigner like I am.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Jinhee K
Reviewed 20 November 2017

Excellent service from the staff. We were checked in seamlessly and the staff polite and courteous. We chose the traditional tatami bed. Room is spacious. The bed and room cosy, comfy, clean and well-maintained. Maybe it was the start of winter, we have no issues with bugs and insects as some reviews commented. We put on our hotel-provided yukata and Japanese slippers throughout our 2 nights stay: for meals at the restaurants and wander on the streets.

Food at the restaurants are commendable and pretty average. The breakfast buffet spread was quite limited. We had Kaiseki-ryōri (懐石料理) dinner. Grilled dishes on the first night + chicken hotpot. Fresh seafood, sashimi and + seafood hotpot on the second night.

The indoor and outdoor hotsprings are amazing too. Hotel is not too crowded, making this a very relaxing stay.

Easy access to the hotel via free shuttle bus from Odori with advance booking.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2017

We stayed 3 nights in late October. Took the advise of other travelers and booked a room with private onsen in the room. Our room was a combo, 2 western beds and 1 tatami bed. The room was huge, very clean and well maintained. The hotel provided Japanese slippers and Yukata, so you don't need to bring a lot of clothes.
Our stay included both breakfast and dinner. Food was excellent, you have the option of traditional Japanese or Japanese grill, both are fixed meals.
Mr Narita and our shuttle driver were very nice and provide excellent service. Mr Narita, who works at the Grill and is the bartender spoke English well and was very friendly and helpful. The baths were great too. Overall excellent experience and worth the money.
One word about the free hotel shuttle, make sure you give yourself a lot of time to find Exit #1 at the Odori station. It's a long way from where you exit the train .

Room Tip: our room on the 7th floor was big and had a private onsen - worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank awayWeGo415
Reviewed 25 August 2017

We needed to have a private in-room spa this time for a reason and, therefore, we reserved this hotel the first time though we generally take another one in this area.
The temperature of spa attached to our room was very low or cold even after draining several minutes so that we had to add hot water (heated tap water) to the bath.
Our primary objective to take this hotel was not fulfilled.

There are many steps (uneven floor levels) in the room and are dangerous for aged people especially during nights (no lighting).

Foods were at average considering the price level although all the staff in the restaurant was nice.

There were a couple of other issues.

Room Tip: Confirm if your requirement would be satisfied before booking.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Super excited to have a trip alone with my husband after crazy months at work!
This onsen was the perfect getaway, we got a room with a private onsen, with western style beds. (Slightly old, but all onsens are at this state)

Hotel package included a dinner with was delicious but wasn't too full at the end of the dinner. (No picking, no adding orders-This is Japan)

Everything was great during this stay except this staff I met upon check out.
許·瀚雯 Xu Han Wen, was very rude as we had requested for late check out to enjoy the last bits of our stay. Check out time in bed. We had asked her whether we could pay a fee for late check out, she couldn't respond with a definite answer, so we immediately just packed up and left.

We had taken longer than expected to pack our bags and when we got to the reception, we were charged an extra ¥4320 for 'late charges'. I did not agree with this, neither did she ask my consent when I asked if I could stay longer for a charge. Worst of all, her attitude was horrible. I never stayed at a hotel with this service before.

I strongly urge this this establishment to educate 許瀚雯 on the 'standard of excellence' as well as how to deal with guest. We didn't travel all this way, to deal with such service and bad attitude. She totally ruined our trip.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple