All reviewspublic bathfamily martthe ground floorjapanese bathper daypleasant hotelrooms are smallday passten minute walkbus routesconvenience storeaverage hotelcoin laundryaround the cornerjapanese foodjapanese hotel roomscomfortable stay
Reviewed 6 January 2016

I stayed with my sister at this hotel for two nights. When booking via Booking.com, the hotel emailed us that early check-in was possible without extra costs, as we would be arriving around 9am. Once arrived at the hotel, we we first rudely told that this was not possible. Full stop. Until I questioned openly whether the personnel spoke poor English (hence it sounded rude), a female manager came to us and explained to us and apologized that there was no room available for early check-in. We left it like that but I want to stress that we would have taken another hotel more central to Kyoto Station if we've known all the time that early check-in is possible for 1.000 yen per hour and only if there are rooms available. None of this was mentioned at the hotel website or in our correspondence through Booking.com.

Having said this, this hotel provided a good bath facilities if you want to make use of it. The room has two big beds but it made the room very small. We face another wall and the windows couldn't be opened. It was dark most of the time.
We found quite some dust in certain area so the room was not properly vacuumed. The amenities are sufficient though. The reception is very helpful each day for providing travel details to our destination. It's located conveniently near quite a few busstops. I'm happy with the service level on other aspects but I would stress the rooms to be cleaned for properly, especially for those with dust allergies like me.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank gdekui
Reviewed 5 January 2016

This hotel checks all the boxes. Quiet, comfortable, clean, and in a good location. Everything a traveller could possibly need is provided, and if not, the helpful hotel staff with do their best to see to it that you are taken care of. They cater to the non-Japanese speaking tourist, which is especially nice to have in Japan, with such things as an English language booklet explaining the hotel's services and facilities, and clear signage everywhere. The location was another plus. You can reach this hotel from Kyoto Station by taking Bus #50 for 230 yen and get off at Shijo Nishinotoin, which will practically drop you at the front door! Additionally, the hotel is near the Hankyu subway line and many busstops to take you to various places around Kyoto. One last thing I would like to add is a story which typifies the lengths to which Japanese service will go. One evening I did a small amount of laundry in their coin operated laundry machines. Wouldn't you know it, but the next day I discovered I was missing one black sock. I asked the young man at the front desk if anyone had turned it in, and not only did they have it, but had catalogued it, placed it in a small plastic bag dated and labelled!! I was pleased to have the sock returned and blown away at this efficiency. Yes, I would definitely suggest staying here.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank Whirled_traveler53
Reviewed 29 December 2015

I stayed here for 3 nights in a Double Room with Small Double Bed. Check-in took a little longer then usual due to the mass of other visitors that day, nevertheless once I was served, it was prompt and courteous with a bonus of asking if anything else was available and was upgraded to a Twin room which had lots of space for a solo traveller. The hotel also has a spa on the ground floor with also have a large bath area and massage seats that are bloody amazing! An added bonus was that there was also a laundry room so you wash your own clothes which wasn't expensive and offered a viable alternative to overpriced dry cleaning service. Location was excellent, being very close to all main attractions and restaurants so made venturing so much easier. I really enjoyed my stay at Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyoto Shijo having the best beds I've slept on in any hotel I've ever stayed in, would go back if I ever visit Kyoto again.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank 4mHere2There
Reviewed 22 December 2015

The Misui Garden Hotel in Kyoto was a clean, modern respite after a busy day sightseeing in Kyoto. The staff was gracious and very efficient and the room was small (aren't all Japanese hotel rooms), but well laid out and had everything necessary. I enjoyed dinner in the hotel restaurant sampling traditional Japanese fare, although I was disappointed they were out of the green tea ice cream. If ever in Kyoto again, I would definitely return to the Mitsui Garden Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank sconsaul
Reviewed 12 December 2015

The Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyoto Shijo was a nice place to stay for a couple of nights. The staff were friendly, check-in was easy and our luggage that was delivered from our prior hotel was waiting in our room for us. The rooms were on the smaller side but comfortable. Not much of a view, at least from our room, although we could see the Kyoto Tower in the distance. We had the breakfast buffet both days were stayed there and there was a good selection of Japanese and Western food. The hotel is about a ten minute walk from the nearest subway station, which isn't too bad unless you're lugging suitcases around. At check-out, the staff helped deliver our larger luggage to our next hotel in Tokyo.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family