See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 August 2017

my daughter has just returned from a trip to japan and stayed at this ryokan for two nights with friends. the people were extremely friendly and helpful nothing was too much trouble for them. and they could believe how much food they were served for breakfast and dinner to their room.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 December 2015

We stayed for 2 nights. The location is great, opposite Kyoto Station. The building is quite run down and all furniture and fittings are old. Smokers are allowed in the hotel lobby and rooms. Although we did not smell any smoke in the room but the corridor smelt of strong smoke smell. Shoes not allowed in the hotel, you have to wear the hotel's slippers to your room.
The mattresses provided were very thin. Expected the mattresses to be laid out when we came back in the evening but were not. We had to do it ourselves. The shower and toilet are separated. There is even a mini bath tub in the shower room, very small shower area too.
Breakfast was provided but not that great. First day was salmon and second day was saba and with little dishes of pickles and rice to go with. Rather dry for me.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2015 via mobile

Nice and central place. Very close to the main station. Everything you need is around. Really friendly and helpful staff (Grazie )! We had a small room with a cattle and an own small bathroom included. Also a public bath is available, seperated for women and men. Stayed two nights. Everything was quite clean.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2015 via mobile

Ryokan are meant to represent the very best of Japanese dining and accommodation. Unfortunately, this ryokan falls far short of the quality I have experienced in other establishments across Japan.

At just over 32,000 yen for two people for one night this represented one of the more expensive ryokans I have stayed in. While I'm well aware you can pay well above that for ryokan in Japan, the main gripe I have with this one is it does not represent good value for money and for any foreigner keen to get their first ryokan experience I suggest you stay far away from Satomo.

The building is very run down. It's clear that little money has been spent on it for many years. The lobby smells of rotten fish and looks very grotty! Not very inviting at all.

Rooms are small and drab with cheap faux tatami matting and cheap lacquer wood cupboards. All are well worn, chipped and peeling. The air con in the room was very noisy and in desperate need of replacement. The wifi connection was flakey at best and it was near impossible to use as it kept dropping connection intermittently. The biggest shock came when I wanted to take a shower and wondering what the stagnant smell was I peeled back the curtain to find huge patches of mould (see attached image). When we phoned them about this they apologised profusely but said it was
Impossible for them to change it. At check out they apologised again but this standard of hygiene is unacceptable and should have been addressed immediately. An apology is not enough in these circumstances.

Food was typical kaiseki affair but not as elaborate or exciting to look at or eat as one would hope for. Staff serving were polite and accommodating.

I can only imagine the price of this ryokan is solely down to its location (being so close to the station) and the fact it was during the summer I visited. My advice for what it is worth is go to a proper ryokan even if it means going out of your way a little.
You will get far better value for money and a much more memorable experience.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ichiban_Sensei
Reviewed 14 May 2015

We stayed here for 3 nights, it was good but some people on our floor was loud and smoking. :( I guess hotel people can't make them upset. So we bore the situation a bit.

Room Tip: Super near to train staion!
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family