All reviewsslept like a babyfar northcape reingastunning viewsbed was comfortablerichhillharbourunitshostbedroomcafesovenbalconypubaccommodation
Reviewed 1 March 2017 via mobile

This is a simple selling point, you are up on a hill, gazing out across a beautiful bay when you sit in your sofa, awaken in your large bed or when you sit in your private garden area. It is absolutely fantastic, you can get the same view on foot or in a car, but can you wake up to it?

The rooms are spacious and partially updated, some of the kit is ageing for example the internal doors are starting to fail to close. However, everything worked, the new stuff was nice. Water pressure is gravity fed, therefore you aren't going to write home about the shower.

Welcome was very friendly.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2016

I stayed for one Thursday night at The Mangonui Motel, having found it online, and been impressed by how it looked. I have to say, its even better in real life. More than just a motel room, more like an apartment, with full kitchen, separate bedroom very comfortable lounge area, and great outside space complete with patio furniture. The views are absolutely stunning too, with a panoramic 180 degree vista over the harbour, across the bay and out to sea. It has to be seen to be believed. The large bed was very comfortable, the wifi connection is fast and there is full full Sky TV. It is also such a quiet location that in the evening I could hear the morepork and kiwi calling from the reserve across the bay.The proprietor was very friendly and helpful, even taking the trouble to put a welcome sign up for me when I arrived which was a nice touch. Being able to check in at noon was also good.In terms of price, I found the rate to be very reasonable, and considering the high standard of the accommodation, I would say that this was an extremely good value booking. I wish I could have stayed for more than the one night, but if I'm ever in Mangonui again, I would definitely stay here. This delightful little town has everything you could possibly need, restaurants, shops, bars and a very lovely area hereabouts. One tip: Fresh and Tasty, next door to the Hotel on the wharf does the best fish and chips in town. I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about this absolutely superb place, in fact I would go as far as to say that this is one of the best motels I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Room 5 has the best of the great views. It was a real pleasure staying in it.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank JJL1666
Richard M, Owner at Mangonui Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2016

Thank you for your custom and the great review. I could not have said it better.

Reviewed 22 June 2016

The 'best views' in Mangonui convinced us to book and we were not disappointed. We were upgraded and the rooms were clean and comfortable, with a stunning view of the harbour. The electric blanket was really good for the middle of winter. The free wi-fi was fast and constant. The steps down to the village are not as daunting as it sounds, and only takes a few minutes to get down. We highly recommend the Mangonui Motel and will certainly go back there.
We stayed at a few 'more expensive' motels on our trip and they were not as clean, and we had to pay for wi-fi.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2016

At first sight this looks like an ordinary slightly run down motel. However, the sign on the building that says " best views in Mangonui" is 100% accurate. Our room, No.7, I think, was newly renovated with panoramic views out across the harbour. Just superb. We stayed here for three nights and didn't see Richard till the third night when he brought us candles, because the storm coming that night "was going to cut the power" and it did. That said, we only lost it for a short time. His stand-in, Wi was a helpful and lovely young lady. The laundry service was prompt and cheap. Word of warning, it is a steep walk to the waterfront. If you're unfit drive down.

Room Tip: The room furthest from reception, No.7 I think.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2016

we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a room with an even better view of the harbour.The host was very courteous and our name was even on the welcoming board outside the office.Nice roomy unit with separate bedroomVery comfortable and just the sounds of nature

Room Tip: I think unit 6 had best view.We had unit 5 with 2nd best view I think