“Cool Place and only getting better”

The Hunting Lodge Winery
Ranked #3 of 4 things to do in Waimauku
Reviewed 7 September 2017

The Hunting Lodge is a great property with fab potential. They have quite the business outside of their own wine and right now only sell their wine from the cellar door. I really enjoyed their Sauvignon Blanc and mixed vineyard Pinot Noir. We had great service from a very friendly family owner. This property has amazing potential and they are working to capitalize on it. It's just beautiful.

Also available are coffee and snacks/pastries/sweet and savory with seating. Perfect place for a conference or other event.

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

We dropped in to The Hunting Lodge Winery as part of a wine tasting tour. I found the service and wines to be the best of the day. I would come back again and give lunch a go, separate to a tasting tour. Very happy.

The_Hunting_Lodge_nz, Manager at The Hunting Lodge Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thanks for your feedback! We're so glad you had a great wine experience and look forward to hosting you again. Your lunch options just got more diverse too - we're about to open up our restaurant so you'll have the choice of a casual cafe meal or more upmarket style restaurant dining experience. See you soon!

Reviewed 15 August 2017

After church, we decided to drive out West of Auckland in search for good cafes for brunch. I have visited a lot of wineries and cafes West of Auckland and decided to try the Hunting Lodge Winery. Upon arrival, I realised that this used to be the Matua Winery where I bought vinos a while back. Feeling hungry, we went straight to the cafe and hunted for a good feed. The choices in the cabinet are not that impressive, and the menu was more of platters suited for wine tasting experience. Me and my wife ordered the pies, chicken for me and smoked fish for the wifey. Since the Cafe is just small, we ended taking an outdoor barstool by the wine barrel turned into a table. How I wish it was summer afternoon, but still at the tailend of the Auckland winter, alfresco is not that pleasant. The pies came with a bunch of mesclun salad which to me, could be matched by my fave cafe along Corinthian Drive in Albany. Since my trip was not a wine tasting one, not one of the staff came back to check if we are doing alright or the food was better than the one from the Henderson bakery.
In fairness, I had a glimpse of the platters and they looked nice and would definitely go with the vino. I might come back for wine tasting during warmer months, and laze alfresco in one of the benches scattered all over the circular lawn.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Warm inside, you can brave the elements for a walk outside also. Great wine and coffee. Their platters are substantial, and they have a few tasty offerings in the cabinet.

Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

We stopped for morning tea, and it was very pleasant. The host had great hospitality and customer service. I enjoyed my Bloom infusion tea, very rich, in depth flavour. The muesli slice had a lovely surprising white chocolate in the base! Definitely will recommend to friends. Can't wait to try the restaurant once it re-opens.