“Highlight was Guide Tour of Ulva Island”

Stewart Island Experience
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Oban
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy a leisurely cruise of beautiful Paterson Inlet, viewing hidden coves and beaches including a visit to the Ulva Island – a renowned wildlife sanctuary. An on-board nature guide provides commentary throughout the cruise and leads a 45 minute walk through part of the Ulva Island. This island is home to abundant birdlife, including some of New Zealand’s most rare and precious plant species. Departs: Oban. (Previously named Paterson Inlet Cruises).
Reviewed 29 December 2015

We went to Stewart Island by the ferry for the day and included the Paterson Inlet cruise in our package. The cruise was enjoyable but cruise but the highlight of the trip and worth a five-star rating was the hour or guided tour on Ulva Island. Our guides were very informative pointing out plant species such as orchids and birds. I got close up images of SI Robin, the endangered and rare Yellowhead. If you’re into wildlife rather than history of Stewart Island, then just take a tour that only goes to Ulva Island.

All reviews
"nature"
"path"
"bays"

Reviewed 8 December 2015

WOW, what a gorgeous paradise. And then, to have local knowledge compliment the trip was so invigorating. By far, the best trip way down South.

1  Thank Tiare111_5564
Reviewed 20 October 2015

I wanted to give a review for Real Journeys Stewart Island Discovery Expedition but can't find that particular trip on Trip Advisor. The entire journey, from Sun, 11 October 2015 through Friday, 16th October 2015 was the most awesome ever. Regardless of high winds and some rain the amazing crew kept us busy exploring. Walks for all levels of ability, from tough to ambling . Nothing was too difficult for this crew. For me it was an amazing spiritual journey and even if you can't walk much, take this trip! The scenery, the crew, and the most awesome, yummy food (and way to much of it) would be worth the trip alone. Skipper Chris, Chrissy, the trained chef, intrepid staff members Keran, Richard, Mike and Felix are a encyclopaedia of information and if by chance they didn't know the answers we looked it up in a book. Every place we explored was a different experience, loved Ulva Island although there wasn't a huge amount of bird life to be seen on our day as we had just gone through a week of high winds and rain but we saw amazing things anyway. The crew pointed out tiny orchids and other things we would have never seen on our own. I can't say enough about this trip - every single moment was "beyond perfection"!! Thank you so much Milford Wanderer!! Anyone reading this is more than welcome to contact me with questions or wanting more information. BTW, I am 73 if that info helps for others considering this trip!

3  Thank curlydogs4
Reviewed 20 March 2015

We thoroughly enjoyed the immense Patterson Inlet, with a very good commentary giving information about earlier times and birdlife. The highlight was being able to see native birds on Ulva Island - robins and saddlebacks, and around the boat - albatross and muttonbirds. On the island, because of my wheelchair and some others using walking sticks, we did a shorter circuit as a small group with a very knowledgeable, ex-DOC guide, and the birds approached us, because we were quiet and moving more slowly. I was so happy to be able to participate so fully.

The crew were extremely helpful all the time. There was a hoist at the main wharf, but I chose to use the steps and several crew supported me four times to make sure I did it safely, getting on and off at Ulva Island as well as Stewart Island. The path from the wharf at the island is rough at first, but only for 4 metres and then the tracks on the island are wide with a smooth shingle base - very easy for the wheelchair. My husband pushed me around. The track does go up and down a little.
Definitely worthwhile doing! Special memories of the curious, tame little robins, and a big thank you to the kind, friendly staff.

2  Thank Kay B
Real_Journeys, Manager at Stewart Island Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2015

KayB, Saddlebacks, robins and albatross – what a delight. Thanks for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again. Kind regards, The Stewart Island Experience Team

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 March 2015

Travelled and unfortunately stayed over in Invercargill to make this tour along with the crossing from Bluff however it was worth the effort and time. Stewart Island was wonderful and then to add this cruise and visit to Ulva Island and guided tour made it special. As a novice with flora and fauna and bird life it was great to now be able to recognise Saddlebacks Bell Birds and the cocky NZ robins it was all over far to quick. The guide was good and answered every question along with the need to keep developing the redress from non-native visitors such as the introduced and feral animals and humans that have exploited this environment
However if I am this way again I will revisit perhaps by water taxi and spend more time alone discovering and learning. Give it a visit it is really worth it and your dollars will help the further the maintenance and natural beauty of this lovely place.

StPolo, Ulva Island is a highlight for lots of our customers. Thanks for taking the time to post a review. Kind regards, The Stewart Island Experience Team