Review Highlights
Don't Miss This!

If you're not going with Johan, then you're not jetboating! Seriously, this was absolutely... read more

Reviewed 29 October 2018
Cutiepet2tie
Lynchburg, Virginia
Worth every cent

A big group of us some locals some from afar went on the full day trip and it was amazing! Johan... read more

Reviewed 15 October 2018
kwilly95
Southland Region, New Zealand
via mobile

All reviews venison waitutu lodge lake hauroko bbq lunch south coast new zealand wild river day trip capable hands fast flowing river dart river exhilarating ride worth every cent those trips dry humour southern ocean bird life
Reviewed 11 January 2018

I can't say enough good things about this experience, it was just fantastic. The scenery, the wild river ride, the beauty of the coast and the amazing views out to the Solander islands. Roffy is a great host who gauges the personality of his guests and tailors his commentary and trip to reflect their interests. Several times he stopped on the way to show me places of interest we had discussed and this really brings the day alive. A really memorable and enjoyable day. I think almost everyone would find this experience really worthwhile and this is wild New Zealand at its most raw. Just brilliant. Cheers again Roffy.

Date of experience: December 2017
Reviewed 11 December 2017

This was a great day, we took the whole day option. Johan was an amazing host - very knowledgeable about the history in the area and very competent travelling down the river

Date of experience: November 2017
wjet, Owner at Wairaurahiri Jet, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2017

Hi,
Thanks for your kind words and your review.
Safe travels
Regards
Joyce and Johan

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

I recently done this jet boat ride with family, I have been down this river and back two times and on one occasion we flew into The Waitutu Lodge by helicopter and had our 92 year old Mum along for the ride . I will return there is not a better jet boat trip any where in NZ quite like this travelling through pristine wilderness forest . You start of with a journey across mystical lake Hauroko then down this wild fast flowing river to the southern ocean. You will find the Waitutu lodge at the river mouth, the caretaker hosts of the lodge are Peter and Rose and their lovely dog Sofia will greet you. The accomodation is basic but very comfortable. A great place to escape the daily grind . Your hosts on this incredible trip are Johann and Joyce. The knowledge and deep insight that Johann has for this incredible area is priceless, you will learn so much from this man about the nature and history of the region all explained with a very dry humour. Joyce and Johann commitment also the the ecology of the area is to be commended; with their on going trapping of feral pests that are eliminating a lot of bird life. Do yourself a favour take this incredible journey .

Date of experience: November 2017
wjet, Owner at Wairaurahiri Jet, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

Hi.
Thanks for your great review. I could use you, to write our next brochure:-)

I’ll pass on your kind words to Johan.

Hopefully we will see you again on one of our Adventures.

Kind Regards and safe travels
Joyce

Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

A NZ wilderness adventure from start to finish. Don't miss this one, it's worth every cent. Beautiful native bush, a rocking and rolling jet boat ride, and barbequed venison for lunch at a quirky lodge on the isolated South coast. Wonderful!

Date of experience: November 2017
wjet, Owner at Wairaurahiri Jet, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Hi
Thank you for your review. It is truly a awesome place we’re we get to work and play in. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to show it off to you:-)

Safe Travels

Kind Regards
Johan and Joyce

Reviewed 7 November 2017

Last week, I set out to go for a walk along Lake Hauroko. In the carpark, I met Johan, co-owner along with his wife Joyce, of Wairaurahiri Jet. He told me that there was an opening available on his jet boat excursion that day, and just like that, my plans for the day had changed. For, what I can assume was, the best. For the next 6 hours, I learned about local flora, fauna, and history, while exploring New Zealand’s deepest lake, and traveling down a rapid filled river till we reached the sea. Along the way, there were a couple stops for us to stretch our legs and get more insider knowledge about the area. Then, we breaked for lunch. Johan dropped us off at the beach to explore, while he went off to prepare lunch. Normally when you go on one of these half day excursions, if lunch is even provided, it's something in the way of ham and cheese sandwiches and apple slices. Not with Wairaurahiri Jet. This was a full spread. A cheese platter to start with, followed by meats, salads, and other sides. We even got a complimentary bevvie. I was blown away. Then it was back on the boat, with two added travelers (they had pack rafted down the day before, and had arranged transport with Johan to head back with us). This time, there were no stops. Just lots of fast-paced twists and turns back up the river to the dock where we’d first started. New Zealand has numerous jet boat excursions on offer, many in adventure-packed Queenstown just a few hours away, and although I haven’t gone on any of those trips, I can’t imagine them being better than the one I went on with Wairaurahiri Jet. Wairaurahiri Jet offers other services, like transport to and from the Dusky Track. I definitely plan on getting in touch with Johan for boat transport in the future. Truly an awesome day!

Date of experience: October 2017
justjuice, Owner at Wairaurahiri Jet, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Hi, Thanks for your great review. I'm pleased you where in the right place at the right time. Best wishes for your summer in Fiordland. Cheers, Johan.