Review Highlights
A MUST on your list-Exceptional area in our country

This was a stunning day for us. We drove to the Hauroko Lake and were greeted by Johan. We lucked... read more

Reviewed 10 May 2021
Margaret E
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Amazing, unforgettable experience.

Best jetboat trip ever in New Zealand and best tour guide in Johan. What amazing local knowledge... read more

Reviewed 4 March 2021
Kiwitramper28
Christchurch, New Zealand

All reviews venison waitutu lodge lake hauroko bbq lunch thrilling ride new zealand swing bridge wealth of knowledge day adventure excellent pilot patties grade rapids southern hospitality wilderness experience native bush amazing adventure wonderful trip
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

A NZ wilderness adventure from start to finish. Don't miss this one, it's worth every cent. Beautiful native bush, a rocking and rolling jet boat ride, and barbequed venison for lunch at a quirky lodge on the isolated South coast. Wonderful!

Date of experience: November 2017
wjet, Owner at Wairaurahiri Jet, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Hi
Thank you for your review. It is truly a awesome place we’re we get to work and play in. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to show it off to you:-)

Safe Travels

Kind Regards
Johan and Joyce
Wairaurahiri Jet

Reviewed 7 November 2017

Last week, I set out to go for a walk along Lake Hauroko. In the carpark, I met Johan, co-owner along with his wife Joyce, of Wairaurahiri Jet. He told me that there was an opening available on his jet boat excursion that day, and just like that, my plans for the day had changed. For, what I can assume was, the best. For the next 6 hours, I learned about local flora, fauna, and history, while exploring New Zealand’s deepest lake, and traveling down a rapid filled river till we reached the sea. Along the way, there were a couple stops for us to stretch our legs and get more insider knowledge about the area. Then, we breaked for lunch. Johan dropped us off at the beach to explore, while he went off to prepare lunch. Normally when you go on one of these half day excursions, if lunch is even provided, it's something in the way of ham and cheese sandwiches and apple slices. Not with Wairaurahiri Jet. This was a full spread. A cheese platter to start with, followed by meats, salads, and other sides. We even got a complimentary bevvie. I was blown away. Then it was back on the boat, with two added travelers (they had pack rafted down the day before, and had arranged transport with Johan to head back with us). This time, there were no stops. Just lots of fast-paced twists and turns back up the river to the dock where we’d first started. New Zealand has numerous jet boat excursions on offer, many in adventure-packed Queenstown just a few hours away, and although I haven’t gone on any of those trips, I can’t imagine them being better than the one I went on with Wairaurahiri Jet. Wairaurahiri Jet offers other services, like transport to and from the Dusky Track. I definitely plan on getting in touch with Johan for boat transport in the future. Truly an awesome day!

Date of experience: October 2017
justjuice, Owner at Wairaurahiri Jet, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Hi, Thanks for your great review. I'm pleased you where in the right place at the right time. Best wishes for your summer in Fiordland. Cheers, Johan.

Reviewed 3 November 2017

Great service from Joyce and Johan across Lake Hauroko at the end of the Dusky Track. The booking process was easy and they were quick to respond to my phone message (they are often out of signal on the lake/river) and by email. It's a great service for trampers in the area and I liked that Joyce always takes the time to note in the hut book when she will be back next, so that any trampers who have not booked will know when to expect the next boat (they only run the trampers service if they have booking so definitely call ahead).
I was also lucky enough to experience the jetboat ride down the Wairaurahiri all the way from Lake Hauroko to the South Coast! This is an amazing untouched part of fiordland which is fantastic to explore by jetboat as you can be the only people for miles around - much more of a wilderness experience that any other jet boating I have done around Wanaka and Queenstown.
Highly recommended for both track transport and as an activity in this stunning corner of NZ!

Date of experience: November 2017
1  Thank CarolineB_NZ
justjuice, Owner at Wairaurahiri Jet, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2017

Hi,
Thanks for your kind words. Its great to get feed back on our Dusky track service and the Wairaurahiri Jet, Thanks:-)
Hopefully we will see you again some time
Safe travels.
Warm Regards
Johan and Joyce.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Well worth the money and a thrill to be where it would take me days to walk there and back. Lovely couple. Delicious venison and salads for lunch. Learnt about NZ birds bush and conservation. Best way to go out for lunch in all New Zealand.

Date of experience: October 2017
justjuice, Owner at Wairaurahiri Jet, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Hi,
Thanks for your comments,
Boating in and out sure does save time on the legs:-)
I hope you come back sometime.
Safe Travels and thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

This boat trip was every penny worth it! It is a 6 hours trip over the deepest lake in New Zealand and then down the Wairaurahiri river with a few stops a long the way. We were able to spot a deer and learned about the protection work in the fjordland areas. We were stunned by the BBQ venison lunch down at the waitutu lodge, Johan is a really good host and cook. We had a marvelous time and would highly recommend their tour! Especially if you're not keen on crowded and busy places. The river tour has everything New Zealand nature has to offer.

Date of experience: June 2017
wjet, Owner at Wairaurahiri Jet, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2017

Hi.

Thanks so much for your kind words
Johan is a great host.
His enjoyment of the area, he gets to call his office, shows with his passion for the wild Wairaurahiri and the surrounding area.
Thanks again for your review.

Kind regards and safe travels
Joyce and Johan