1. Excellent location right on Track 6 of the La Loire a Velo cycle track.
2. Beautiful view.
3. Very quiet location.
5. Very comfortable beds.
6. High quality lounge and kitchen furniture.
7. Very well designed inside.
Even better if:
1. It is very damp inside - dehumidifiers throughout the house are a must. Nothing really dries inside.
2. Crumbling ceilings and walls are a nuisance - not nice when the ceiling crumbles on to one's face whilst sleeping at night - Walls and ceilings need to be refinished.
3. Kitchen kettle needs to be replaced with something with more kW - current one takes too long to boil water.
4. Wi-Fi signal is unreliable even in the lounge.
5. Outdoor lights require repair since they don't all work. Arriving back at the house late at night requires a phone torch to help go down the stairs.
6. Smell of soot is overwhelming in the kitchen and master bedroom.
7. The shower plug holes in the ground floor bathroom were almost fully blocked - another maintenance issue which should be resolved.
8. Net screens would be very useful outside opening windows or doors so that windows/doors can be left open in the evening - otherwise, too many insects enter the house.
9. Brighter internal lighting would be welcome.
- A truly unique experience – it is a very cool historic site in a great location.
- Spacious and well appointed
- Comfortable bedding and furniture nicely matched to the décor that is thematic to the cave’s history
- Great views from the terrace
- The inside, especially the lower two bedrooms and bath are damp. Really damp. Like moss growing on the walls damp. If you go out for a run or a bike ride and hang up your gear, it will not dry. Ever. Same with your bath towel (to our surprise, towels were apparently not included in the rental – be sure and check if you book). A few relatively inexpensive dehumidifiers would probably fix the problem, and it is unfortunate that they have not been installed.
- Because of the moisture problem, when the windows are closed, it is a bit smelly. Unless the towel heater is left on in the lower bathroom, the smell is so overpowering that it is almost unusable.
- Maintenance is lax. One of the bathroom doors won’t close. The coffeemaker is junk. The kitchen faucet is loose. Many lights are out, and the hallway lights flicker.
- It is listed as having air conditioning. It does not. Yes, it is a cave, and naturally somewhat cool, but on a hot humid day to get rid of some of the stickiness would have been a godsend. Listing it as having A/C because it is a cave if that was the intent is misleading.
Overall, I recommend it, particularly if you’re travelling during cooler weather where the heating system might be able to overcome the moisture issues. The addition of dehumidifiers and a few hours of handyman work would make it a five-star property.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How easy was key pickup/access to the property?|
|Overall condition of the property||Bedding & mattresses|
|Kitchen & utensils||Bathroom cleanliness|
|Other facilities & amenities||Service|
|Friends getaway||Families with young children|
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|