Vio.com
Timothy K
New Tecumseth, Canada

Wonderful Family Experience

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 18 Sept 2018
Just got back...write it now or write it never! Simply speaking...we had a great week, we’ll be back for sure. We started by booking last minute and landed on The Grenadian by Rex by a lucky accident. We read the previous reviews and thought it met what we needed with a 10 & 8 year old in tow. First impressions were spot on (good job previous reviewers) the place has a lovely Caribbean charm, it’s shows it’s age but that’s cool, its been a little “worked in”...in a good way. The nice people that run the place couldn’t have been more sweet and accommodating, Grenadian’s are a genuine people, very nice and for the most part pretty happy. The Rex is a very authentic Grenadian experience, the food was outstanding. My kids are pretty fussy, not one complaint did we hear. my wife and I love Caribbean food, I wasn’t disappointed. We had some delicious home cooking and lots of it, the food varied though, something for everyone. The Breakfasts were outstanding, we met Chef Garfield and Chef Roger, they guys cook with “Soul”. Chef Garfield took time out for an “air hockey” challenge which delighted the kids! The entertainment was good, again something for everyone. We especially enjoyed The Steel Pan Drums and and wonderful duo called...Rita and the Exceptional Perfectionists...yeah, great name! We had a nice evening hosted by Chris the General Manager, we saw him around quite a bit. The resort itself is absolutely beautiful, we’ve never seen such wonderful natural landscape right on the beach. The wildlife was very cool! The Pool area was fine, a tiny bit tattered but it’s high up and has really nice breezes and it takes the elements full on. Because you’re higher up the views are brilliant, we watched the sun set every night. In fairness we saw lots of staff working away on upkeep and projects. Our impression is simply that The Rex does a good job and is busy, so it shows it’s use. I’m sure when we return next year we’ll see the same hard work at upkeep. We don’t play tennis and its pretty hot most of the time so that’s that. The rooms were OK, nothing special, just the basics. We used the mini fridge for snacks but the rooms could be called a little old fashioned. All the amenities are great and The Rex is ridiculously close the the airport you basically never really notice. The drinks are delicious and the staff now what they are doing. We met some great characters selling their crafts on the beach, really nice and not too pushy. We met a really nice lady at the Rex Beach Market, Edith Williams. Buy her crafts, she’s a lovely lady. Finally, we had a great Saturday in St. George’s the Capital of Grenada. The history and culture are completely on display, we explored Fort George and self guided through the town. Completely safe by the way, we had a nice lunch at The Nutmeg Restaurant overlooking the harbour. The kids were blown away and completely overwhelmed...it was awesome. We highly recommend Grenada and especially The Rex and we look forward to next time.
Trip type: Travelled with family
gndgm, General Manager at Starfish Granada Resort, responded to this review
Responded 18 Sept 2018
Dear timkennelly52,

Warm greetings from the Grenadian!

Thank you and your family for choosing to stay with us as we thoroughly enjoyed having you all here. Noted are your comments on the age of the resort as well as around the swimming pool. That is an October project for skim line tile replacement as well as replacing the cushions and fabric on the cabana beds and chaise lounge chairs. And a little painting will not hurt....

We hope to see you once again in the near future and thanks for your last minute to the beautiful island of Grenada!

Regards,
z
    $235
0.6 km from Starfish Granada Resort
pool view
$228
0.6 km from Starfish Granada Resort
Free parking
Hanging by the pool trying to pick up wifi.
    $211
    $587
2.0 km from Starfish Granada Resort
View more hotels in Magazine Beach
2,346 results
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 September 2018

My husband and I stayed at the Rex September 3-10 for our late honeymoon/my birthday. We had a suite overlooking the sea, with such a beautiful view -- thanks a lot, Chris!! We had a great week overall, and the staff even went above and beyond to make my birthday enjoyable which I really appreciate.

Deslin at the restaurants was absolutely amazing and always smiling. Sharilin and Sharmin were very friendly to us as well. The gentleman who I believe may have been the night manager at the front desk almost every night was also amazing and very helpful to us, I am just sorry that I didn't get his name, but please let him know Mr. & Mrs. Stultz say thank you again! The food is "OK" . I am a very picky eater, but I was still able to find something to eat at every meal, so no complaints from me. My husband and I also appreciated that local dishes were often served as well rather than just 'tourist food'. Dinner by the pool at Spicers was so much nicer than eating indoors and we wished that every night could have been served out there.

We had an issue with the bed in the room on the first night however the staff worked very quickly to fix it for us and so we slept comfortably the rest of the week. We rarely had issues with Wifi, however we also didn't go on vacation to sit on our phones all day...

Both of the beaches are beautiful, however we did not have water shoes so we stayed at the beach to the right as we heard there are more than a few sea urchins. The snorkeling was cool, we saw a lot of different fish. The pool is ok. I am not a pool person, but the water is warm and is also very shallow throughout.

The grounds are beautiful. We took a walk around the lake almost every day. Lots of wildlife - birds, iguanas, dozens of crabs. There are even a few cats on the grounds, two of which are very friendly.

We knew in advance that the resort was in need of upgrading/repairs so I have nothing to complain about and I imagine the resort will be even better once that has been done. Our trip was worth the money, we had a blast, and we would return again. A big thank you again to all the managers and staff for making our trip memorable!

Room tip: Definitely go for a Sea View - you will not regret it!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
gndgm, General Manager at Starfish Granada Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Dear Mr. and Mrs_Stultz,

It was wonderful having you both here with us at the Rex Grenadian. Glad to see that you had fun on your Honeymoon and birthday.

Thanks for the mentioning of some of the great team members here with us. Such persons are the ones that make a vacation an amazing experience for our guests. And those that you have mentioned, have been working with us for an average of 15-20 yrs.

We hope to see you both on one of your anniversaries in the near future. Have a great rest of the year 2018!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

I was initially hesitant about staying at a resort so close to the airport, but was pleasantly surprised that there was no noise disturbance from the aircraft.

A minutes drive from the airport we were able to easily park within metres of the lobby in this resort.

With a standard check-in we were able to pay an additional US$30 for a 6pm late check out.

We had beachfront rooms which were standard and clean. They had a fridge and a safe. Special mention to Vernel, our housekeeper. She was efficient, helpful and always greeted us with a smile.

Breakfast was a simple buffet. We had room service a few times, the food was average and the service was slow 2/4 times.

Be mindful that the resort is not in walking distance to downtown, shops or restaurants.

Overall, an ok place to stay.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank BlacKiwi

Dear BlacKiwi,

Love the name by the way....

Thank you for vacationing with us here at the Grenadian and for the "shout-out" of Vernel. She is one of our many great team members who are the true reflection of Grenadian and Grenadian culture. I also want to thank you for mentioning how close we are to the airport and the noise was not/is not an issue. The Rex Grenadian is amazing where one can vacation almost on a private beach so close to the airport.

Thanks for choosing us and we look forward to your return in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 13 September 2018

If you stay at the Grenadian make sure to pay for the “All inclusive package “ and in a beach access accommodation. I stayed in the Hillside view room and I couldn’t get WiFi connection and had to walk up the hill then up two flights of stairs to the 3rd floor. The dive shop didn’t have a boat to take us scuba diving so we used another hotel’s dive shop.

Room tip: Get the ocean view room.
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
gndgm, General Manager at Starfish Granada Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

Dear Phatrdr3,

Greetings from the Grenadian once again. Thank you for staying with us. We are aware of the wi-fi situation and are in the process of resolving this matter in a timely manner. As for the Dive boat being out of commission, glad to see that we assisted and recommended an affiliated establishment.

Thanks for staying with us.

Regards,

Reviewed 12 September 2018

Hotel is good for all inclusive .There are meal options which were good but not volunteered !There is only one other restaurant in walking distance of the hotel !Reggae buses (which are excellent) will take you into the local town for around £3.50 each. But these stop around 2000 (night buses are an experience!!)

Room tip: Sea view is excellent

Dear keelyamos,

Warm greetings from the Grenadian. Glad to read that you experienced the culture of Grenada via the maxi-buses. also, wonderful to read that your overall experience at he resort was a good one as it was our pleasure hosting you.

We hope to see you once again in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 7 September 2018

Spent my honeymoon at this resort from 1st Sept to 5th Sept 2018. On check in we were upgraded to a sea View room. I must say it was a lovely view of the ocean from the room and the bed was the most comfortable I have slept on for quite awhile. Short trip from the airport. Smooth and quick check in. I was on the all inclusive plan and had sufficient to eat and drink. Never went to afternoon tea as I didn't see the need to as at the time I was still filled from breakfast and lunch. There was always sufficient to eat. Soups were tasty but a bit cold at most times. I have to mention here how tasty the was fish. Any method in which the fish was done be it grilled, fried, baked etc it was very tasty. Room was very clean and was kept well every day by the room attendant. Staff was generally very warm and friendly. Did the full day tour which was very educational. Mr Dragon was the best. Charmaine at the tour desk was also very friendly and helpful. Thank you for taking us to Gran Anse. What an amazing beach. All in all my wife and I had a marvelous stay at the Rex and enjoy every moment of our stay in Grenada. I will recommend to friends and family anytime. Will be back one day.

Room tip: A bit dated but comfortable.
1  Thank labelstnt
gndgm, General Manager at Starfish Granada Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Dear labelstnt,

Warm greetings from the Grenadian.

Congratulations on your recent marriage and thank you for choosing this resort as your Honeymoon destination. Glad we met all your expectations and we look forward to you both celebrating several anniversaries with us.

Kind regards,