“Gives a real feeling of what it was like ”

Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: The Centre is home to Lancaster NX611 and a museum based on a WWII airfield with original control tower, Escaping Society museum, Home Front exhibition, Hampden restoration project, memorial chapel and many memorabilia exhibitions. The Centre is open Mon-Sat. Closed Sundays. During the Summer the Lancaster performs taxy runs usually once a week. It is possible to have a taxy ride on the Lancaster, booking is essential as rides get booked up months in advance.
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

This centre is not your slick museum but something more genuine - nothing flash but the setting gives you a feel for what it would have been like to be part of a Bomber Command squadron during WW2. The briefing room, sleeping hut and the control tower are small but authentic. Inside the hangar is a Lancaster being restored. There is something amateurish about the heritage centre but I say this in the kindest sense - run by passionate volunteers that show it as it is. It would have been nice if there had been computer terminals where visitors could search a database of those who served in Bomber Command squadrons. Friendly staff in the cafe.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,051)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"who lost their lives"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 28 April 2018

I had heard about this place but whilst on a weekend bikers ride last week we were in the area so went to have a look, I'm so pleased we did.
Its like stepping back to 1944, the buildings, the planes, the vehicles, wow I could spend hours here, unfortunately we only had an hour before closing but everyone was so good, I ended up spending a small fortune in the shop but its all in a good cause.
There's so much here, a Lanc that you can pre-book to join for a taxi round the airfield with four bloody great merlins on full bore !?@!"£$?! , they are trying to raise the funds to get her flying again (she was at one point the last flying Lancaster) so if you have just won the lottery I'm sure a few hundred grand would help out?
They are also rebuilding a mossie and a Dakota and have the cockpit of a Canberra to play in, plus loads of trucks, parts, history to enjoy, and remember.
Its a wartime airfield with all the buildings still intact and being used as they were intended.
They are also trying to construct a Hampden (the old flying suitcase) to static display and must have the biggest collection of parts for this lovely aircraft (if i win the lottery thats where i'd spend a big bit of it).

Reviewed 25 April 2018

We combined our visit with the morning at The Battle of Britain Memorial Museum and started our visit here with tea and cake in the cafe. It was easy to find and parking is free. Upon paying our entrance we got the leaflet telling us what there is to see and immediately headed for the hangar as this was where our interest lay. There are lots of artifacts, restorations to watch, Just Jane - the Lancaster and to be honest so much you could spend the entire team reading the info in the hangar. Next up we saw the quarters, the control tower, the church, the home front exhibit and a couple of things taking us right up to 20 minutes before closing as we wanted a quick look in the shop. We would have liked time to look in the shop but the cashier was leaving early and was rushing us which was a shame. Overall a very interesting museum and good day.

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

We hadn't planned this visit at all. We were on our way home to Warwick after a long weekend on the Lincolnshire coast. And were going to visit a nearby NT property. .. lucky it was Monday I guess because, we had a great time at the museum. I did wonder if my wife would be OK , as it turned out I think she enjoyed it as much if not more than I did. It's not just " Big boys with big toys " (wife's original impression :-) )
There is so much more and to be honest I could write a book about our visit, from the lady at the counter who first welcomed us and gave us our tickets , to the lady who made us a coffee.
Great maps to show where the several exhibitions were housed . The main hanger with the star of the show ' Just Jane ' a very beautiful Lancaster Bomber , being faithfully restored to original working order.
We spent so long in the main hanger looking at the memorabilia of items from the war years, very personal things too , I have to admit to tears in my eyes at times.
So time for a lunch and we had only managed one hanger..... we had just about finished and sat looking at what to see next , the hanger doors were opened and ' Just Jane ' was pushed out onto the tarmac ....
Time for the Treat I mentioned. . It was engine testing time. Brilliant.
Time then to visit the other exhibits , conning tower , escape museum which was very moving and informative.
And after 5 hours we figured we had better head for home.... but want to return to see the bits we missed.
Sorry , I nearly did write a book.