Review Highlights
Wow

What an awesome day. My wife and I did the Doubtful Sound trip with Real Journeys. We got on a... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
PhillipB294
Palmerston North, New Zealand
via mobile
Lucky enough to say this is my 2nd time :-)

I have recently done this cruise for the 2nd time (the first time being 15 years ago). That was... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
kristabel2016
Napier, New Zealand

Recommended experiences in and around Manapouri
from US$328.45
More Info
from US$167.52
More Info
All reviews wilmot pass across lake manapouri doubtful sound day trip tasman sea power station overnight cruise the bus fiordland navigator new zealand te anau complete silence nature guide turned off fur seals quad share packed lunch
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

Having read all the reviews I booked an overnight boat trip- three of us in a quad cabin. It was one of the last things we did in NZ, and it was a wonderful way to end our trip. Well organised, pleasant staff, the best buffet dinner, kayaking, nature talks, sea swimming, waterfalls and rain, and rain and more rain! But this simply gave the fiord an ethereal beauty with swirling mists, rainbows and shafts of sunlight breaking through to create stunning spotlights and shadows. It was achingly beautiful and we loved the thought that the pristine forests have largely never been explored, which made the experience all the more special. The staff work incredibly hard to maintain the highest standards of cleanliness, cuisine and service. We did appreciate all their efforts and realised that as soon as we left, they only had a few hours before the next guests arrived. For anyone considering this trip, we advise good waterproof trousers, jackets and shoes and a complete change of clothes for the evening as it is impossible to get everything dry. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: March 2018
Real_Journeys, Guest Relations Manager at Real Journeys, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2018

Kia Ora Manel,
Thank you for a wonderful review. It is great to hear you ended your trip with the iconic Doubtful Sound Experience and enjoyed the spectacular views Doubtful Sound has to offer. We hope to see you again in the not so distant future.
Kind Regards - The Team at Real Journeys.

Reviewed 12 April 2018

Booked this in advance only to be contacted by email and told I was upgraded. When i arrived in Manapouri the day before the tour, I went to see the office to find out what was happening. My morning tour had been cancelled and i had been put on a later one. What was the upgrade? The later trip was more expensive but I didn't have to pay the extra. It didn't really suit me to go later as i had further travel plans the next day but I had no choice. No apology, no explanation. I went on the later tour and found that there was little or no interaction with the mostly backpacker crew. I had hoped for some information on the local flora fauna etc but almost none and only read parrot script. No NZ humour. I was pushed out of the way many times by another tourist, observed by staff but nothing repaired. When I asked the Captain about a flora issue he turned and said "I don't know". On the return journey all the young female staff gathered beside the young captain and chatted about the forthcoming nights out. I felt that the guests did not exist, and the use of backpackers is unacceptable in this location. No staff member took the opportunity to speak to me or even acknowledge anyone once all day although the boat was not crowded. I even had one of the female staff from the restaurant push me out of the way to get a photo with her camera when some penguins had been pointed out. There was no courtesy on this tour. Apart from the beautiful scenery the day was disappointing in not feeling that we were valued guests or in fact were even there. Hopefully some NZ staff will make a big difference.

Date of experience: October 2017
3  Thank Jennifer D
Reviewed 9 April 2018

We crossed the lake by catamaran from Manapouri, which took around 45 mins, then boarded a coach for our journey over to Deep Cove. Chris, our driver, was amusing and knowledgeable and the drive was particularly impressive as the rain caused the waterfalls to be spectacular! A short way from our boat, Fiordland Navigator, there had been a problem with the road and it was deemed to be unsafe. We walked, one by one, over the narrow walkway and then boarded a vintage coach for the final 650 metres. Apparently, this is likely to be the case for around 3 months, but it wasn’t a problem. Once aboard the small ship, Marky introduced the crew and we were shown to our spotless and surprisingly spacious cabin. Lovely opportunity to meet other passengers followed, as well as kayaking, trip on the ship’s tender or for the braver amongst us, a swim in the Sound! A choice of two soups at 5.30pm, followed by a fabulous buffet prepared by our chef Phil and Lydia at 7.30pm. Later, we sailed from the mouth of the Sound into the ocean where fur seals relaxed on the rocks and we watched the sun set - simply stunning. The bar was available for drinks to be purchased and complimentary hot drinks were available throughout the trip. Carol, the onboard naturalist was brilliant, telling us facts and information and answering any questions about the Fiords. We then anchored to a mooring bouy overnight. A sunny morning, and a lovely continental breakfast at 0645 was followed by a fabulous cooked breakfast; once again prepared by Phil. We then started our return trip through the Sound accompanied by Dusky and Bottlenosed dolphins - just fabulous. One of the most poignant moments was when Glen, the captain, turned off engines and generators and everyone was completely still and silent - what a special moment - just the beauty of our surroundings! 24 hours later, our return journey was equally well organised and our coach driver, Alan, as knowledgable and entertaining as Chris. This overnight cruise was definitely one of the highlights of our trip to New Zealand. Thank you

Date of experience: April 2018
Real_Journeys, Guest Relations Manager at Real Journeys, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Kia Ora Mim, thanks for taking the time to post this wonderful review. We are so pleased to see how much you enjoyed your visit to Doubtful Sound with us. Seeing wildlife such as dolphins swimming alongside the boat in such magical surrounds truly is fabulous. We are so happy that our guides and staff looked after you so well throughout your trip and that the overnight cruise is one of the highlights of your visit to New Zealand.
Kind regards, the team at Real Journeys.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Highly recommend this trip - the whole journey is what makes it an unforgettable experience, although the fjord is the clear highlight.
I love sunny weather and our trip to the fjord was our only rainy day of the holiday but that made it spectacular- literally scores of waterfalls pouring down cliffs and mountainsides.
We went out to Tasman Sea. Saw fur seals, dolphins and albatross. Went out in the small boat in the pouring rain sitting under a tarp - and still loved it. Braver souls than me went kayaking and swimming.
The guide’s commentary was good - not too much but very knowledgable with plenty dry wit. His slide show after dinner is well worth attending.
Food is very good and plentiful. Wine was expensive, but very good.
Sleeping berth for 4 is small but well planned to make good use of limited space. Very clean. Bit too warm for me.
Toilet and shower facilities are good - kept clean and tidy and higher than usual standard for a boat.
Staff across the boat were great - efficient, professional with good sense of humour. Happy to answer all questions. Always around to help but not in your face.
Loved it.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank thomsonclan6
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We did the overnight cruise in March 2018..blessed with fabulous weather on day 1, and atmospheric misty, cloudy weather on day 2. Everyone at Real Journeys is really professional, friendly, and hard-working. The cabin-upgrade is great..we just didn't want to leave the boat! It was the high point of our NZ trip, and we would strongly recommend it! The dinner is excellent, and we availed of the on-board kayaks for .45 minutes around the Sound.

Date of experience: March 2018
Real_Journeys, Guest Relations Manager at Real Journeys, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Hi there Alan, thanks for the five star review. We are thrilled to see what a wonderful time you had on board this overnight trip with us. Hopefully the rest of your time in New Zealand was just as memorable.
Kind regards, the team at Real Journeys.