Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
More Information

Ways to Experience Newstead Abbey
from US$8.73
More Info
All reviews japanese garden rose garden gardens are beautiful victorian kitchen formal gardens car park lovely place cakes nice cafe afternoon tea lord byron lovely walk national trust be visiting again on arrival waterfall poet
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 June 2021 via mobile

Visited Newstead Abbey on a glorious warm day. We paid the entrance fee at the gate and told the fee included the House and Grounds. We drove to the parking area then a short walk to the Abbey only to find the Shop open and the house only opened at weekends. If we had known this at the gate we may not have visited.
However the walk around the wonderfully kept gardens was beautiful.

Note to Nottingham Council make it known to the public at the Gate the days the house is closed

2  Thank normanw587
Reviewed 19 June 2021

Newstead Abbey and Gardens were a wonderful surprise to me - we were going elsewhere but due to the restrictions we came here instead. What a delight , the gardens are stunning , the Abbey and house so interesting and best of all the stories that our guide David shared with us.

The staff were amazing , so welcoming and accommodating with our group. Thank you so much.

The bonus of listening to a brass band in the gardens was delightful but this was where I needed David as I wanted to ask who the two statutes on the rear of the house were - but no matter the rest of the Abbey and grounds were more than enough.

Reviewed 17 June 2021 via mobile

Went to Newstead Abbey with family as a special treat. First time didn't realise this but it's currently only open on weekends and Bank Holidays. So explored garden the whole time instead, came back during the school holidays and got tickets to the house. Price for adult is very reasonable and you see so much for your £10 worth, bought ticket on day. Parking is separate, was £6 per car and there was a gentleman at the gate selling tickets. Lots of place to park, we found a space in the field under the tree. Was a beautiful place to see, felt very safe as person at start spaced us out, you went around by yourself but house was set out so you go one way. Afterwards we walked to the old stronghold on the edge of the lake, it's a nice walk between a farmers field and the water and when you get there you look across to the abbey. Had lots of choices as to where to eat, they had an ice cream truck (independent) and two small shops just around the corner from house entrance. I'd say you need about £15 for coffee and cake for 2. Had a wonderful time, even went around the gardens again. I think you should see the house at least once, part of Abbey had collapsed, but Chapel and other halls were okay. Had an interesting thing called a skull cup, and even had Lord Byron's room where he sat down and wrote his famous poems. Lots to see in this place, took a good 2 hours with the house alone.

Reviewed 4 June 2021

I made the mistake of taking an address from the sat nav in my car,what a clanger to drop.
Yes it took me to the village of Newstead,but that is not really where you need to be.
All the local's that I asked directions from, kept telling me the same thing,go over the railway tracks in the village.
So after much frustration we were told by a group of walkers that we were totally in the wrong place.And that was only a way in on foot,and that the walk was well over a mile away.!
So Newstead Abbey is in Newstead Abbey Park, Ravenshead NG15 8GE,
Once we had found Newstead Abbey,it was a treat to wander around the lovely gardens on a really hot day.
Summing up,car parking was pretty good,and not too far to walk for the shop,cafe & loos.
Next time I will use NG15 8GE in the sat nav,and save myself some time and hassle.

Reviewed 2 June 2021

The grounds are stunning, perfect for a family picnic. The facilities are woefully inadequate, having to queue 15 minutes to use the only toilet facilities which were gross, and the cafes had very limited and very expensive offerings. Take your own food and drink, you will save a fortune. The house was interesting, but we felt the £10 admission fee was excessive on top of the £6 parking charge, and there's no concession for retired people.

Date of experience: May 2021