eDreams
Priceline
FindHotel
All reviews heaphy track whitebait fritters fish of the day portion size great meal separate toilet lamb shank ed's bar a great place to stay hot water great shower great spot comfy bed new zealand stayed one night tania accommodation
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 November 2020

We overnighted here after hiking the Heaphy Track. Friendly staff, great hot showers, comfy beds, good coffee and meals at the on-site cafe and restaurant. We recommend the pies - yum.
They cater for many types of traveller with motel type accommodation, ensuite rooms, and back packer shared bathroom rooms. We found them simple, clean and tidy.

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2020 via mobile

This is the 2nd time we have stayed here, the last being 6 years ago on completing the Heaphy Track. The accommodation is tired and basic, but comfortable, but over priced in my view (we stayed in a lovely king room at the Rydges in central Christchurch for the same price). Dinner was good with hearty, generous portions, but overpriced (city prices, but this is very remote West Coast NZ).

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2020

My husband and I booked Studio (ensuite) for $130 in October for one night stay. That was a wee frustrating stay for us. A good example of when the imagery of the website gallery looks tremendously better than the place in real life. Sadly, but owners don't seem to put enough of effort to keep the area alive and modern. Perhaps, ages ago, this place looked and felt decent but not now.
Don't get me wrong. It is not terrible, and I am not expecting luxuries 5star for 130$. Still, I don't like to pay money for the result displayed on the internet, which appears to be not even close in real life.
* The unit was dark, light bulbs gave not enough of light.
* Torn wallpaper in the corners.
* Outdated renovation. Lots of small things that catch your eye.
* Crookedly hanging mirrors.
* The fridge door faces the wall, so you can't fully open the fridge. Seriously?
* The car park area around the units is a bare ground; so, on a rainy day, all this turns into the mud you bring into the room.

I've been travelling around NZ a lot, and do have experience with different sort of accommodation for this price range. Frankly, for this money, I've seen much better places. If you are ok with staying in the tent - better to go to Kohaihai beach campsite (16 km driving up North from Karamea). Beautiful spot just for 8$ per night for a person.

To be fair, I should mention the positive sides:
* Friendly staff.
* The bar seemed to be a trendy place, cause when we get there on a rainy day was all packed with guests.
* Lovely entrance in the colonial (?) style.

Date of stay: October 2020
Reviewed 31 August 2020

Did the walks up to the archers and asked a local where was the best place to stay. Hands down the Last Resort was the best advice ever. Booked into a cottage that had a bath. We had dinner as well and I had the chiefs special for the night which was a seafood platter and it was one of the best I have ever had.

Date of stay: August 2020
Reviewed 10 August 2020

The Last Resort is ideally placed for your time in Karamea whether you are there for the arches or the estuary or the tracks. Take time to look at the welcoming mosaic when you arrive; a lot of work went into it. The somewhat rustic appearance of the complex fits comfortably into the Karamea environment. The amenities such as the restaurant and the parking are excellent. All you would expect to find in a motel room is there except the lighting is not the best and one chair and two stools for three people? In the restaurant, the continental breakfasts were really good and not expensive while our dinners over the three nights were superb. We paid city prices for the pork and scallops, for the salmon, for the lamb shanks but it was well worth it. Congratulations and thanks to the staff.

Date of stay: August 2020