Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
jelka2018
Berlin, Germany

Nice location and great service!

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 15 Jan 2018
We absolutely enjoyed our stay at Kanaani Rest house. We got a very spacious room with a little terrace and an amazing view. It was clean and had everything you need including Moskito net, towels etc. The people who were welcoming us (all locals) are lovely! Very friendly and helpful. We chose to have breakfast and dinner there and both meals were always very good. They are prepared according to your schedules.
When asking for hiking tours they suggested a tour guide (Kasimu) who we ended up doing 2 hikes with. He is a very friendly young guy, speaks English and was happy to show us around and helping us out.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay in Kanaani and Lushoto and can only recommend it!
Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
5.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Responded 6 Feb 2018
Dear Jelka,
Thanks a lot for your lovely rating! We are happy, that you enjoyed much staying with us and experienced our warm and friendly staff being enthusiastic to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. Looking forward to maybe host you again another time.
$178
    $46
    • Vio.com
    1.9 km from Kanaani Resthouse
    Free parking
    You do not want to miss this experience...
    $198
    35.0 km from Kanaani Resthouse
    3.0 km from Kanaani Resthouse
    38.0 km from Kanaani Resthouse
    View more hotels in Lushoto
    See what travellers are saying:
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 4 December 2017

We enjoyed our stay at Kanaani, especially because the staff was very friendly and tried their best to help us with travel arrangements etc. The rooms are rather simple but equipped with all you need. Unfortunately the shower had very low pressure, yet that is not uncommon in Tanzania so we were used to it. The guesthouse has nice views from the terraces in front of the houses. The food was plenty and good, especially for vegetarians a nice alternative to the food served in other parts of Tanzania. We booked a 2-day trekking tour to Mtae with Simon, the local guide. We highly recommend him and the tour if you're interested in experiencing the local culture and the people's everyday life.

Date of stay: November 2017
    Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Review collected in partnership with this hotel
    rafiki-tz, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Kanaani Resthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Dear Franziska,
    Thanks much for your rating! We are happy, that over all you enjoyed your stay with us. We are sorry for the low water pressure . As you mentioned it is an common problem , especially bcs often there is even not enough water available. We would love to welcome you again another time!

Reviewed 23 June 2017

I traveled alone and spent 3 nights in Kanaani resthouse.
    It was low season, and there was nobody else there. The guesthouse is not very close to the town, 20/30 minutes walking, but the road is safe.
    My room (a family one) was big 3 windows and bathroom with hot water.
    The towels were really old and there were moisture spots on the ceiling.
    Not a nice first impression... but in general the room was clean and ok (fast cleaning service every day).
    The best thing was the food, a big choice for breakfast and dinner with fresh fruits and vegetables, even if I was the only guest!
    The staff was nice and helpful, but I had the bad surprise to find half of the clothes I gave them to wash, with stains of rust very hard to take them off.. they probably laid them on dirty wires..
    I was really disappointed because they didn't tell me what was happened and just bu change I discovered it, few hours before leaving (they had put my things in a bag).
    I insisted that at least they did not charge me the last night and of course the laundry service (about $ 25 for all), although the value of my ruined clothes was double ...
    The owner Sabine was not there, and she didn't answer to the phone when the receptionist guy call her to explain ... and at the end I didn't pay. I was also sorry for the small incident
    because apart from this, I was quite happy about my stay there ...

Date of stay: May 2017
    • Trip type: Travelled solo
    1  Thank IngridNogara
    rafiki-tz, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Kanaani Resthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2017

Dear Ingrid,

Thanks much for your review. There are only a few older towels, ( means one year) , which the colour faded out, most of them are new. I think unfortunately you got the few older ones. As for the moisture spots, we had unexpected heavy rains in Lushoto, which also even closed the road for some days between Mombo and Lushoto, so we had been not able to repair the spots at once during the rain. As for now everything is back to normal again. No spots at all. I am very sorry for what happened to your cloth, bcs of the rain, I think there was no way to dry up on any other rope. Yes, unfortunately the staff didn't realize what happened. I apologize for that. As for me not being available on the phone, bcs I was outside the country for important family issues, so either the call does not get through or I can't pick the phone with the Tanzanian number.
    I am happy that except for this incident, you enjoyed your stay with us. We welcome you, to try us again another time!

Reviewed 15 March 2017

My friend and I had a great experience at Kanaani Resthouse. The view is beautiful and the dinner is delicious. A really good place to relax and just be when you are traveling on a budget. We used it as our base before going on a 3 day hiking trip into the Usambara Mountains, which it was perfect for. Thank you for everything, Sabine!

Date of stay: March 2017
    • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Paula,
    Thanks much for your nice review and we are happy, that you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to welcome you again another time!

Reviewed 18 January 2017

This place is really great! Quiet, peaceful, everything you need to relax. I spent 3 days here with my boyfriend august 2016, sitting on the verandah with the great view, reading books and going on hikes. The food they serve is homemade style, really yummy. Staff was really welcoming, escpecially the owner, Sabine. Very good value, I would recommend this to everyone!

Date of stay: August 2016
    • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    rafiki-tz, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Kanaani Resthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2017

Dear Guest,
    thzanks much for your kind review. We are happy, that you enjoyed our services and your stay with us. Great, that you where able to relax, thats why we love to be a little outside of town. Thanks also for praising our food, which we always prepare fresh and try to offer great variety. We love our guests and are pleased, if you feel at home and experience our kind and welcoming spirit. Hope to see you again another time!

Reviewed 17 January 2017

Me and two friends stayed here for a night, arriving in the evening and starting a trek of the Usambara mountains the following morning. We read only great reviews beforehand, but when we came to this place it wasnt quite what we expected. First, it took us about a 5-10 min drive from Lushoto to get here, on a very bumpy offroad type of street which gave us some doubts on the way. And when we arrived there was an enormous Tripadvisor sign at the gate which seemed rather threatening than welcoming. The Resthouse was completely dead, except for 2 staff members and 2 security guards there was nobody else, although the Resthouse was quite spacious.
    I m still giving 4 stars because the rooms themselves are good, you have a great view in the morning, and the few staff members were very, very helpful when we spontaneously asked if there was anything to eat ( late in the evening ) and they all of a sudden cooked us a great dinner with a big variety of things.
    So I guess it was just our individual situation of arriving late in the evening that gave the whole hotel a creepy flair in the beginning, but the place itself is good. The only real downer is that it is not within walking distance of Lushoto.

Date of stay: January 2017
    • Trip type: Travelled with friends
    2  Thank AAK1030

Dear guest,
    thanks much for taking time to review our place!
    Yes, we are a little outside of town, like 20 min walking distance, which also has the advantage of beeing a more quietand relaxing place, than in the busy town. Unfortunatly the roadconditions are not up to us to repair, the local town government has to deal with this, so we do not have much influence on that one.
    Our outside sign is large because sometimes people get lost to find us and we are restricted on how to buiold up signboards.
    You came at a time, there have been no other guests, so I do not know what you did expect to find?! Sometimes all rooms are booked, sometimes none or only one or two.
    So, if there are no guests, there is no need for many staff members on side, only the ones needed to keep up and being standby.
    I am happy to hear, that you recognized, that even the few staff people where able to make and serve you an amazing dinner.
    You might come back another time finding our place more busy. Thanks much and welcome again!