Review Highlights
Amazingly beautiful and peaceful hike with Said in Usambara West

My girlfriend and I did an amazing 2 day hike in the western Usambara Mountains with Said. It was... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
Felix R
Oure, Fyn, Denmark
Usambara Mountain Hike

This was one of the most beautiful hikes I have ever been on! Said and Hassan made it all the more... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Sep A

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
All reviews day hike bush baby my boyfriend beautiful trip great guide first night chapatti recommend this trip amazing trek tanzania trip great guy dar es salaam making sure local nature spent days incredible views lovely person
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 November 2023

I’m very glad I chose a multi-day hike with Said after reading the reviews. You can read all about how good he is I’m other reviews, but I’d like to add one thing. You can really tell how much he supports the local economy in Usambara. On my second night, I stayed at a very new home stay in a remote village that had only been open for 1 month. Over dinner, Said gave tips and advice to them about how to cater to travellers. He has done the same for multiple businesses and some of the more successful accommodations in Usambara can thank Said for being one of the first people bring hikers there years ago. Other accommodation options - namely the really expensive ones - are owned by foreigners and sometimes don’t pay the locals well. Said only supports locally-run business were possible.

The reason this review is 4 stars and not 5 is because he accidentally gave me the wrong itinerary and I only found out after the first day of hiking. The itinerary he was supposed to give me added an extra 10km making it a bit too challenging. Said was accommodating and offered to pay for motorbikes for the additional 10km which I appreciated. Still, would highly recommend this immersive learning experience!

Date of experience: November 2023
Reviewed 25 October 2023

We did a 4 day hiking trip in the Usambara Mountains with Said and it was amazing. We saw nice landscape and hiked throught small villages. The accomodations and the food were so nice, we really enjoyed everything. Thanks to Said we got to know a lot about the culture and traditions, it was very interesting to talk to him and he was a great guide. We were a group of three people and all of us can rellay recommend this trip with Said.

Date of experience: October 2023
Reviewed 12 September 2023

Wow! It is almost hard to know what to write that has not already been mentioned many times over. Said is a wonderful guide and anyone reading even a handful of reviews below can probably tell right away how consistently happy the guests were. He is also just a great person to spend a few days with even if there wasn't much to see (except there is!) - he's extremely kind, open and knowledgeable.

Something that really sets talented professionals like Said apart is that they make complicated things look easy. Bringing outsiders through a small community could potentially be very disruptive and ruin the essence of what you are trying to visit. It is a real testament to Said's care and hard work that everyone seems at ease when we pass by (and we, in turn, also feel more comfortable). As much as we felt catered to on our trek, you get a real sense of how much care Said takes in building relationships with the people of this area. He talks with nearly everyone we pass and sometimes we stop for a minute as they catch up or other times someone will fall in step with us to chat with Said as we walk. I have hiked in other countries with local guides, and I have never had the experience of sharing the unguarded company of locals going about their day. I only wish I had learned more Kiswahili to be able to express my gratitude.

In short, Said performs some kind of magic where you can simultaneously feel comfortable that everything (route, food, accommodations) is well established from decades of professional experience and yet also like a friend is showing you the secret back road no one knows about.

Date of experience: August 2023
Reviewed 3 August 2023 via mobile

Could not recommend a stopover in Lushoto whilst travelling Tanzania more. We did a 4 day hike with Said and it was the highlight of our trip. The landscapes throughout the Usambara mountains are amazing, and so are the places you stop for lunch and stay overnight. Said is so knowledgeable and could answer any question we had from agriculture, geography, wildlife and so on. Great value for money also, Said is very transparent about costs and will assist you with your travels onwards from Lushoto also. A true gem!

Date of experience: July 2023
Reviewed 3 August 2023 via mobile

The accommodation in Mambo view point was incredible, organised by our guide Said. Said was a brilliant guide, full of information and interesting stories.

Date of experience: July 2023