All reviewsno liftcouncil car parklimited hotelmetro centrelounge barjunior suitehuge bedhotel parkingnice hotelnewcastle areaper dayfront streethighly recommend this hotellovely roombeamish museumno air confull english breakfast
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Ok, reviewed this hotel before and it is ok but having recently developed walking problems, thought I should add a few notes. There is limited hotel car parking but a cheap park nearby. It means more steps and steps up to reception. There isn’t a guest lift, so if you choose an economy room you will be on the top floor. There is a service lift and staff will willingly take you up on it but during breakfast rush hour, it can feel awkward to ask. Just to advise you that if you have walking problems, it’s probably better to phone direct when you book rather than use the website.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Joy B, Manager at Best Western Gibside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
It is always better to book direct with the hotel and let us know your requirements. We have ground floor rooms and are always happy to help guests with their luggage from the car.
We do hope to see you again and please request a ground floor room when making your booking.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

We arrived at the rear of the hotel and found the limited parking full but parked in the nearby free overnight car park. We then found a flight of quite steep steps to the reception . Friendly receptionist checked us in to room 202 and then explained we had a further two flights of stairs to our room. Upon entering our room we discovered a thin layer of dust over nearly everything. A coin and hairclip were found on the floor suggesting the room had not been cleaned properly also dirty marks on the window . The room decoration is gloomy and out of date with net curtain which at roughly 70ft up a bit unnecessary. There is a lift for staff use but it would be very nice if the customers could use it. Modern bathroom with shower over bath . No comment on restaurant as not used by us.

Room Tip: Quiet on the top floor
Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank johnsue1069784
Joy B, Manager at Best Western Gibside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Thank you for your review.
I apologise if you felt your room was up to standard. I will discuss this with Housekeeping as we pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our hotel.
We do have ground floor rooms if you consider booking with us in the future, please request. We are also always happy to help anyone from the car park with their luggage.
Once again please accept our apologies for he cleanliness of your room, rest assured this is not our normal standard.

Reviewed 23 June 2018

I had lunch here with a friend. I feel the the prices have gone up considerably since last time I was there. We didn't want to spend a lot of money, so we ordered a 'relatively' cheap meal - baked potato with prawns in marie rose sauce. I'm sorry to say that the kindest thing I could say about it was it was OK. The prawns were fine, the marie rose sauce was watery. There was no dressing with the salad. When I asked the waitress for some, she said there was only salad cream! (yuk!) She went down to the main restaurant and brought little ramekins of balsamic vinegar and Caesar dressing. To be honest, last week, I had the same thing in Morrison's café for half the price. Standards have fallen in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Joy B, Manager at Best Western Gibside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am sorry you were disappointed in your lunch as we do not normally receive any complaints regarding the quality of our food.
i will certainly investigate this with our Head Chef.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

This is a good place for a meeting - reasonably basic, but the coffee and cakes were good and the staff helpful. The toasted sandwiches were a bit hit and miss - some well filled but others a bit empty. Good paninis and hot meals ok

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Ian K
Joy B, Manager at Best Western Gibside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2018

The staff were extremely friendly and helped wherever they could. I'm a very "picky" eater, but I found that the food was second to none, I loved my stay at this hotel and, given the chance, would have no hesitation at staying again! Staff excellent, food excellent, location also excellent - loved it.

Room Tip: We (my wife and I) had room 309 on the ground floor. We were perfectly satisfied with the room and services.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Les C
Joy B, Manager at Best Western Gibside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.
We all look forward to seeing you again soon.