“Amazing roti!”
Review of Straits Kitchen

Straits Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Taihape
Price range: US$3 - US$20
Description: Generations dated back to the Sultanate era of authentic Halal Malay cuisine. Carefully imported ingredients from the straits prepared and served high up in the mountains of Rangitikei, New Zealand. Straits Kitchen, A Peninsula's appetite to please the Sultans
Reviewed 1 February 2017

Absolutely delicious roti bread - the best I have ever had! I could have eaten 10 of them if I hadn't been so full from their generous portion size!

Reviewed 31 January 2017 via mobile

We spent a couple of nights in Taihape, and we ate here on our first night. The staff were friendly and happy to guide us on what to order based on our preference for spicy food.

They have a good range of spicy and not so spicy foods. We shared some mixed stay skewers to start. I had the beef randang which was really tasty. My partner had the BBQ chicken. As we both like spicy foods they gave us a small dish of additional chilli to increase the heat level to our taste.

They are not licenced so I had a drink called a randung which was bright pink and came with cream, sprinkles and a cherry on top. Once I stopped laughing and tasted it , I discovered it was effectively a rose flavoured milk shake that complimented the meal quite well.

I would go back again next time we pass through taihape.

Reviewed 27 January 2017 via mobile

We had Roti Chanai, chicken curry and a Malaysian chicken fried rice. We had to order extra roti x 4. Because they were so dam good. Beats some places we eat in Wellington. Awesome little Taihape. Worth the visit. Thank you.

Reviewed 25 January 2017

Loved the delicious food in this restaurant. Not quite sure why we were in Taihape :) but found this restaurant and were blown away by the food and service. Totally recommend.

Reviewed 24 January 2017

For a little country town this restaurant is out on its own. The décor reminds you that they want this to be an experience for you and then there is the courteous hospitality and the menu. The menu options are broad, and we chose vegetarian. We had ourselves a fruit juice made with real oranges to set the scene for our meal, from entrée to main dish to desert. We had it all and a wonderful time and the meal was most satisfying.