See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Called in for lunch only to find they weren't doing any that day! Ordered a beer instead & asked for the wifi code (big sign outside saying FREE WIFI) they didn't have any wifi! Strange atmosphere, bit like a wild west saloon, we drank up & left

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

3 of us stayed here while travelling on motorcycles. We parked our motorcycles around the back of the hotel behind a locked gate. Pretty secure.
The rooms were very clean, crisp clean sheets and fresh smelling.
We had 2 rooms. 1 with 2 singles and 1 with 1 single right opposite the shared toilets upstairs. Also very clean. Great pressure in the showers too.
We ate at the hotel to enjoy the whole vintage style experience. We all had roast of the day which was just like mums Kiwi home roast.
Played pool and had a few drinks. Slept well in the comfortable beds. This hotel has been redecorated in some parts to suit the era.
I noticed when we were leaving in the morning, the windows were being cleaned, the banisters dusted, just how they would've when the hotel was built.
We loved it and will stay again when we are in the area. Total cost $140 for accommodation. $12 for small roast and $18 for large. Restaurant opens at 6pm. Worth even stopping for passing travellers for a meal. Great value and country hospitality.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 October 2017

We stopped at Gretna in September 2017 as an overnight stay before a day's skiing - for which it is perfectly convenient (about an hour to Turoa skifield). The room was very tidy and frankly better appointed than we had any right to expect, with high ceilings and some remaining original features.

However, here's the but: We booked and paid in advance via Wotif, but when we turned up at the Hotel there was a note to "pay on arrival" on our booking - and the same on all the bookings on the same page. When I told them we had paid in advance, they said it was pay on arrival because they never charge until people turn up in case they don't (????). My phone was flat by this time so I couldn't check my emails and I presumed I could have made a mistake, so I paid but kept the receipt.

Guess who was charged twice?

When I finally got onto Wotif customer service (the phone line kept me waiting indefinitely listening to La Isla Bonita on repeat, hardly the best example of Madonna's oeuvre) on email support@customercare.wotif.com they were actually very helpful (astonishing). Gretna denied the double paying and said they just take an imprint of a credit card and I had made a mistake. But no! I knew I had paid on a debit card and thankfully I had that receipt, which I emailed to Wotif and then was eventually reimbursed one of the payments.

Golly, though, could the Gretna be any more tricksy? Are they devious, or simply incompetent? It's a pity though because the actual room was fine and at a good rate. Way to shoot yourselves in the foot, Gretna!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

We dropped in on the way down from Auckland to welli.
Rooms were very simple but clean, did for the night.
Bar and kitchen were great, the steak was absolutely gorgeous!

We would definitely recommend!
(And come again)

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

Kim and Dave were super accommodating at the Gretna. The rooms were very very clean and tidy. A great place to stop on the way south. We have an electric car and Dave was happy to let us plug in and charge.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family