See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 October 2017

We stopped at Gretna in September 2017 as an overnight stay before a day's skiing - for which it is perfectly convenient (about an hour to Turoa skifield). The room was very tidy and frankly better appointed than we had any right to expect, with high ceilings and some remaining original features.

However, here's the but: We booked and paid in advance via Wotif, but when we turned up at the Hotel there was a note to "pay on arrival" on our booking - and the same on all the bookings on the same page. When I told them we had paid in advance, they said it was pay on arrival because they never charge until people turn up in case they don't (????). My phone was flat by this time so I couldn't check my emails and I presumed I could have made a mistake, so I paid but kept the receipt.

Guess who was charged twice?

When I finally got onto Wotif customer service (the phone line kept me waiting indefinitely listening to La Isla Bonita on repeat, hardly the best example of Madonna's oeuvre) on email support@customercare.wotif.com they were actually very helpful (astonishing). Gretna denied the double paying and said they just take an imprint of a credit card and I had made a mistake. But no! I knew I had paid on a debit card and thankfully I had that receipt, which I emailed to Wotif and then was eventually reimbursed one of the payments.

Golly, though, could the Gretna be any more tricksy? Are they devious, or simply incompetent? It's a pity though because the actual room was fine and at a good rate. Way to shoot yourselves in the foot, Gretna!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

We dropped in on the way down from Auckland to welli.
Rooms were very simple but clean, did for the night.
Bar and kitchen were great, the steak was absolutely gorgeous!

We would definitely recommend!
(And come again)

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

Kim and Dave were super accommodating at the Gretna. The rooms were very very clean and tidy. A great place to stop on the way south. We have an electric car and Dave was happy to let us plug in and charge.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2017

We called in there for drink and a meal on a Sunday and were impressed by the friendliness of the staff and the locals,along with the Roast Dinner.On the following Saturday, returning home,we called in again.This time,the staff informed us that a band would be "sound checking" for later in the evening,"just a short while".We,along with the locals,were then subjected to an endless cacophony of multi-decibel noise.A local patron informed us that it is always the same and the owners don't care about the patrons.We left without dining!That's why I feel that we visited two diffrerent hotels on different days.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple