“Lovely service in a small town”

Leon d'Oro Secolare
Ranked #2 of 21 Restaurants in Canale
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed lunch in the dining room with good quality china, attentive staff and tasty food. Excellent value. Recommend the risotto and the cheese platter.

1  Thank Aust_mum

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

My husband, daughter and I dined here last night, and could not have been more pleased with the food and the service. A beautiful restaurant, we felt very at home. Our daughter is a vegetarian and Luciano, our waiter, made sure he took care of her. He was especially wonderful, and all the dishes and wine he recommended were delicious. Nadia, the owner, is the third generation female owner and was incredibly friendly and warm. We were very impressed with the food, and the service and generous hospitality were amazing. We recommend the vegetarian quiche and the ricotta raviolis. We also enjoyed the risotto and the lamb and duck. Great evening, we would return in a heartbeat. Grazie Nadia and Luciano!!!

1  Thank Denise P
Reviewed 19 January 2017

Yes, I see the reviews that this place is "Old Fashioned... Traditional... not very exciting... but our experience there tells a very different tale. We had eaten in two of Canale's finest restaurants the previous two nights, having arrived on a Sunday afternoon. Still uncomfortable driving in Italy at night, we wanted something close to where we were staying on that Tuesday. I can see why some folks might find it a little stuffy, but we were welcomed with incredible hospitality from "Mama" who took over from her Mama a few years ago. She was very excited to have us in from a local hotel, and took great care of us. Yes, the food is very traditional, but also much better than just "well executed". The menu given to my wife had no prices, so old school, but that's the thing about this place, from our experiences in Piemonte over the week, "old school" can be pretty fantastic. In the middle of our meal, a local truffle hunter came in with a box of truffles. I asked our waiter if anything we had ordered would be appropriate with truffles. He answered with a polite, but emphatic "no" but offered to order us a couple of dishes that would be appropriate. I have been a waiter for many years, I love this gentleman. I am a little embarrassed that we can't remember his name. I was told by the owner he has been with her for over 30 years. By far we had the best service in town from him and at another restaurant I'll cover in a separate review. Noticing that we were enjoying our dinner, a local couple at another table, engaged us in a bit of conversation, it's their favorite restaurant in town. They were so happy that we were happy. A great night, we came back for another memorable meal with more truffles a couple of days later. Grazie Mille Leon D'Oro Scolare!!!

1  Thank Kleefrog57
Reviewed 27 July 2016

We stopped for lunch at what we thought was a bar and were so pleasantly surprised to be taken through to a large dining room at the rear of the premises. Everything was very elegant and service was prompt. My partner was given the menu with prices - which really took me back to my younger days when this was done. Our meal of roast veal and vegetables with gravy was generous and the hostess called at our table to enquire how it all was - which is always a nice touch. This was a pleasant experience but we would not rush to return and would rather try other restaurants in the area.

Reviewed 17 June 2016 via mobile

There's a difference between "traditional" and "old fashioned". This place is old fashioned. It's the kind of place that the wealthy widower in his '80's goes to regularly because he knows what to expect. Yes, it is traditional too, in the sense that it serves the standard local fare, albeit in a somewhat stuffy, if not formal atmosphere. I saw no evidence of passion or creativity in the dishes, but they did meet the criteria for decent local cuisine. A little on the pricey side too.
With all of the great restaurants nearby, I can't think of any good readon to return here.