“Definitely best Choux ever!”
Review of Patisserie Roku

Patisserie Roku
Price range: US$9 - US$27
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Roku is recommended in the local tourist guide leaflet...and every word is true: all of us really like Choux and enjoy it wherever we can get them. Choux at Roku where just excellent! Filled with the heavenly light melting custard cream right in front of you...the crispy shell...
Just another reason to return to Kurokawa Onsen!

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 13 February 2018

You can't beat the raw matcha chocolates - six for 700 yen. Wanted to take a few boxes back to Australia but was told by the helpful staff that they only last 3 days. There are four stools by the window - grab one to try their amazing freshly baked cream puffs with a cup of coffee.Fabulous little bakery just down from the tourist office.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 5 February 2018

Must try. I bought a little bit of everything and brought it back to my hotel for a late night dessert feast. It is hard to describe as I've not had anything that tasty. Don't just go for the puffs, try the cheesecake and creme brulee looking dessert as well, it is well worth the trip.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 21 December 2017

We were in a small shop when another shopkeeper came in & gave our shopkeeper some freshly baked bread rolls – the smell was amazing. After concluding our purchases, we promptly went looking for the bakery. We recognised the lady inside Patisserie Roku.

Although the shop is small, there is a huge variety of cakes & breads. We chose the Hazelnut crème cakes. When we asked for takeaway, the lady asked us when we were going to eat the cakes – we responded in 1 hr & the cakes were packed with a small icebag to keep them fresh (the ambient air temp was 2 deg C ! ).

We went back every day. The Shu-Crème was amazing – the choux pastry was light & the fresh crème is inserted after ordering.
The quality of the diary is amazing, probably one of the best I have ever tasted.
The deserts/ cakes are not sickly sweet - I usually eat savoury type deserts however I enjoyed everything at Patisserie Roku.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 15 September 2017

This is a good half way stopping point if you drive a long way.
It was low season at the time we went, so no queues at all.
I tried this cake shop which is very good for after lunch.
I got the No.1 Custard pudding, Aso milk cheese pudding and a peach pudding which I like the most.

Date of visit: July 2017