“Excellent ”

Metaxy Mas Tavern
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Pyrgos
Price range: US$23 - US$34
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I have eaten here four times. It is still one of my most favorites on the island. The food is Cretan and south Aegean. Traditional but carefully done and a bit modernized. My favorites are their salads, the Kataifi filled with cream cheese, the lamb and rice, seafood risotto and the rakomelo at the end. Wonderful hearty food. Great stone patio too.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,373)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Lucky for us, we stayed very close by in an airbnb. Not so lucky for us, we went on our last night. We would’ve eaten there every day if we had known how good the food was and how cute the atmosphere was. Such reasonably priced and delicious food, attentive and friendly waitresses, and cheesecake :) We had the pomegranate salad (to die for), fried feta (which is not pictured because my husband devoured it), the grilled mussels (my personal fav dish of the night), and the spicy pork dish (damn near licked the plate clean). If you’re staying close, go daily (not kidding) and if you’re staying far.... rent an ATV, scooter, car, helicopter.. whatever you need to get there.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The view,the hospitality,the food and the cheesecake!!.I have read about this place and was also recommended by our hotel and I was glad we went.We didn’t wait long as we just went on a whim with no reservation.The food was pure ecstasy and the free dessert of cheesecake is to die for.My number one resto in Thira!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We enjoyed a wonderful meal this past week at Metaxy Mas. I had booked a reservation before leaving the states and spoke to the staff at our hotel regarding this choice. They had nothing but positive things to say about the food. We ate outside and were very comfortable with the blankets that they provided. I wish that I remembered our servers name...she was very sweet and attentive. My husband had the lamb which he loved! I had the spicy pork dish and it was so good! The desert, a cheesecake on the house, was a delicious way to end the meal. The only downside is that there is nothing around the restaurant. We were in and out in a little over an hour. I would definitely recommend this gem!

Reviewed 15 October 2018

Try to make sure you have reservations. It is not required but is best if you would really like to dine here. The service was efficient and pleasant. On the house Raki (alcohol) is served at the start of the meal along w/ bread (1 euro charge per person) w/ EVOO and you can also ask for just a one person portion. For appetizer we ordered the feta which was wrapped in phyllo dough, fried and drizzled w/ sesame seeds/honey. It was quite good. For entrees: my husband ordered the special, which was a burger (the patty only) stuffed w/ feta cheese. He said it was good. It was served w/ salad greens. I ordered the lamb cooked in a yogurt sauce w/ mint and it was served w. rice. My food was surprisingly extremely bland and was in need of salt. The lamb was very tender however. A complimentary cheesecake was served for dessert and it was very good. Overall, a nice restaurant w/ pleasant service and a nice ambiance: very good for a date or quiet meal. I'd suggest giving it a try but maybe ask your server for a meal suggestion to get something tasty.