All reviews huge bed food order good size nice room breakfast was included bed was very comfortable dressing table one night stay top floor an evening meal pudding brains pub skomer island breakfast room little gem west wales biscuits
Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

I have nothing but praise and thanks for the staff at Lord Nelson's specifically 'Rob' who helped us: We arrived late 11:30 pm :problems with booking, worked out gave us a room, helped GREAT stay. Good

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
LordNelsonMH, General Manager at Lord Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Thank you for taking time to leave a review during your vacation. We are happy that we were able to help you out with the mishap and look forward to hopefully seeing you again if your on vacation this way again. I will ensure that I pass your kind words onto Rob.

Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

After ordering breakfast here I would strongly advise against it. The orange juice was clearly carton and served warm! The tea cup had stains in it and the food was luke warm. Bacon rock hard, eggs over cooked and thoroughly greasy. The service was slow and forced. The staff seemed more interested in their own conversations and eating at the bar ! After meeting the family we decided to eat at the hotel. Big mistake ..... we should have learnt from the breakfast. We ordered and paid for two rib eye steaks 2 children’s meals and drinks. Once paid for I was advised that the rib eye was unavailable so ordered the rump to find that was also unavailable. We went for the mixed grill but alas that was also unavailable. We changed our order again and opted for fish and curry. I asked for the difference in price £18 and was told the manager had gone shopping. We couldn’t even have a drink unless we paid even though they owed us nearly £20. When Liz returned from her shopping trip she advised my husband that he could only have a refund if he provided his full name and postal address. Under gdpr legislation this is unnecessary and therefore should not be asked for. The worst of our experience was the attitude of the manager. If she had offered a refund of the money and an apology it would have been forgotten.

The only enjoyable aspect of our visit was the very lovely barman (Jake I think his name was)

The hotel needs a good clean and a new Manager.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank CardiffGal2010
LordNelsonMH, General Manager at Lord Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2018

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. I apologize that you did not receive what you expected, but when personally speaking to yourselves at breakfast and in your evening visit you did say that you had enjoyed breakfast with us and your meals. I do apologize with the lack of stock but the order was placed 10 minutes before we closed on a Sunday evening after an extremely busy weekend and therefore we were down to limited stock. The price difference and apology was made in my absence of which was refused and on my return was dealt with, we do understand all privacy with GDPR but unfortunately when refunding onto a card it is policy to take guest details these are not then used in any way without the guest permission. If you would like any further information please contact myself at lordnelson@sabrain.com where I will be happy to help.

Reviewed 15 August 2018

Negative:

Avoid the left side of this hotel. On the left side is a massive fan set into the wall under the floor of room 106. The room above (212) was hot from the heat rising through the floor and you can only open the window a crack. The fan kicks in all night and creates a vibration similar to a diesel engine, also there is a massive duct running up the wall and when it rains, the sound is like trolleys being pushed around Billingsgate market. Not an easy sleep. Two steps down when entering the room are at differing heights, so you could easily break your neck or have a serious injury, especially if you are a tad doddery. The light switches are ridiculous, both bedside lamps are controlled from the side of one bed. so you will have to decide who goes to sleep first, so they have the bed with no switch! This is a twin room but only one seat, you could not even sit together for a cup of tea. If you want to charge your phone or laptop while using it, you will need at least a 5 metre extension lead, there are no sockets next to the beds. Milk jugs were cracked, these are cheap enough to replace and not a good impression for foreign visitors. Rooms 212 and 106 should not be guest rooms, they should be storage rooms, I guess the rooms adjacent left/right suffer similar effects to a lesser extent. Avoid room numbers 211, 212, 215, 105, 106 and 108.

Positive:

The location is superb, within walking distance of everything. Breakfast is excellent, a choice of three. Staff are friendly and helpful. Nicely decorated interiors and a spacious reception and breakfast room. Kettle and complimentary tea, coffee and milk. Good wifi.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 211, 212, 215, 105, 105 and 108 on the left side of the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
LordNelsonMH, General Manager at Lord Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. I do apologise with the problem of noise from a fan which was near your room this fan is switched off every night at 10pm the latest and should not be turned back on until 7am the next morning I do apologise if this wasnt the case and I will personally ensure that this is the procedure in future. If you would like to discuss this further then please email myself at lordnelson@sabrain.com

Reviewed 11 August 2018

Four of us stayed on Monday 6th Aug 2018. Upon arrival the receptionist (Steve?) resolved a minor hiccup very quickly with good humour. Our 2 rooms were large, clean and tidy.
Beer at the bar was as it should be. The wine list ample. The food; good value for money.

The best thing about this place is the staff. Bethan and Cerys certainly deserve recognition - such great humour and banter. (the rest of the team were non too shabby too!)

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
LordNelsonMH, General Manager at Lord Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2018

Thank you for taking time to leave us a review I will ensure I pass your lovely comments onto the staff including Cerys, Bethan & Steve !!! ( who we also know as Rob). We are happy you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2018

We based our stay at the Lord Nelson, the staff were dedicated, friendly and extremely helpful. The building was as expected for a grade 2 listed. The room was big, clean and very comfortable. The amenities were very good biscuits delicious and the bottles of water very acceptable, We had food there the breakfast was all in the price lots of choice and delicious, we had an evening meal which was also delicious.

Stayed: August 2018
LordNelsonMH, General Manager at Lord Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and thank you for your kind comments. I will ensure that I pass these comments onto the team and look forward to seeing you again in the future.