“Some good,some poor”

Add it.
Matfen Hall Aqua Vitae Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Matfen
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

My sister and I visited on the 23rd March. Our package included 3 treatments and lunch. The team at reception were very friendly and explained the layout of the spa well. The sauna was small, but pleasant, as was the jacuzzi. The pool is also small and occupied by an exercise class when we were there.

We weren’t given clear directions to lunch or slippers, but were rescued by the very helpful hotel receptionist, who showed us the way and gave us slippers. We were greeted at lunch with a small glass of water and not offered any further drinks. Lunch was very poor, we both had the stir fried vegetables. We were expecting seasonal vegetables with some crunch - we got undercooked noodles, with peppers and aubergine in a thick sweet and salty sauce. The sorbet for dessert was okay. We would have ordered a hot drink to finish if anyone came to the table, but they didn’t.

Our treatments then followed. The exfoliation and massage were excellent, but then I was given a manicure while I was still in paper knickers, under a towel on the massage bed. I didn’t realise what was happening as my eyes were still covered. Needless to say there wasn’t a chance of getting back into my knickers and the robe without smudging the nails. Can’t think why they didn’t get me back in the robe after the massage and do the manicure at the nail bar downstairs.

On balance I much prefer Seaham Hall, so they’ll be getting my custom in the future.

1  Thank leej0hns0n11
"lockers"
"facial"
"robes"

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

We went here for a spa day, missed out on a few things... welcome drink not provided and lunch was quite cold and a awful little table in the conservatory area, but the food was nice.

The spa was lovely and the massage was excellent and really enjoyable. Love the spa and the area, just shame about the drink.

2  Thank greenplane
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Used the spa as part of a mini break at the hotel. Lovely little place, very friendly staff and great facilities.

Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

I went to matfen hall for a pregnancy massage at 37 weeks pregnant. I have to say I wish I’d gone sooner and had time to fit another one in before baby comes! It was amazing! The therapist was kind, professional and really knew what she was doing. I would def recommend this place for any treatment.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 September 2017

My boyfriend and I visited Matfen Hall's Aqua Vitae Spa yesterday. My boyfriend is an outdoorsy dude, who would prefer a walk up a hill to a lounge in a chair. HOWEVER, I was determind to find somewhere that would help him to properly relax after a week's worth of night shifts and show him that it's ok to sometimes just stop and take some time to yourself. BINGO. Matfen Hall Spa was indeed that place.
We both appreciated the warmth of service from arrival to leaving the hotel. We were welcomed with a brew and a homemade biscuit. The facilities were clean, spacious and homely. We felt comfortable enough walking around in our robes with bare feet, in fact it felt a little like being at home (a much bigger version!) The afternoon tea was a delight and then the icing on the cake was our back, neck and shoulder massages by Cherise and Allie. These girls have magic hands and made us feel so comfortable and at ease. It was a truly luscious and indulgent experience and one that certainly loosened the knots. Cherise was wonderful throughout the day, ensuring that we had everything we needed and that we were happy. Our favourite three things were:
1. The warmth and welcoming attitude of the staff
2. The relaxation room; a gorgeous retreat of sheer sensory bliss.
3. The pool; a light, airy space with surprisingly warm water. None of that "oh s**t it's cold...keep swimming...keep swimming" business.

1 thing that could've been improved:
1. The hot tub seemed to be colder than the pool so we avoided it. Think it was just a technical fault! These things happen!

I would also suggest checking when classes are on in the pool, as it can be quite loud when a class is on. But fun to watch! We wanted to join in!

Thank you so much Matfen, we'd love to come back.

I & J (the newly converted spa fan!) x