Open today: 11:00 AM - 11:00 PM

from US$327.43
More Info
from US$86.20
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 June 2021

I’m a lover of hot baths so it’s pretty hard to displease me. I’ve seen Blue Lagoon, Myvatn, GeoSea, Secret Lagoon, and Akureryi’s public pool. I thoroughly enjoyed all of them and don’t think it’s really fair to compare these places since each place has its unique charm (and faults).

I’ve actually visited Sky Lagoon twice on my visit. On my first visit at the end of May 2021, it was crowded (sold out because of some introductory promotion they were running), and both the sauna and steam rooms were packed with people. In addition, it was very windy and it rained on and off throughout my visit. I still enjoyed it, but I was determined to experience it again. My second visit, the promotion had expired so it was much less crowded and the wind was nowhere near as bad. I got a ton of fantastic photos. The seven step retreat was more relaxing (although being a Californian, I can’t get used to the ice water plunge).

As noted by an earlier reviewer, the floors are slippery so watch your step. The changing rooms are very nice. I got the Pure Pass (as opposed to Sky Pass). For the more modest among you, the showers in the men’s room are semi private although the changing rooms aren’t (the Skypass provides private changing rooms but I don’t think it’d worth the price difference). Try to book either the first few time slots or last few ones to avoid the crowds if traveling at peak tourist season. Sky Lagoon is only a month old as of this review, so as international travel reopens and this place becomes more well known, it is only going to get more crowded.

Date of experience: June 2021
1  Thank 945byronc
Reviewed 25 May 2021

Fantastic time with family. Relaxing atmosphere and fantastic sauna. Everything is just wonderful both the place and staff.

1  Thank gardarrafn
Reviewed 25 May 2021 via mobile

Excelent time with family. Amazing time and wonderful staff taking care of our needs. Sauna and scrubs are must. Time well spent.

2  Thank Garðar E
Reviewed 25 May 2021

I'll start with a sincere caution. The floors in the changing / shower rooms are incredibly slippery, as is the wooden floor in the sauna. I nearly lost it a few times, and would not recommend that anyone with mobility or balance issues risk it -- the last thing you want is for your magical Iceland vacation to include a visit to our excellent hospital. Caution signs had been placed here and there, so they are aware of the problem and hopefully will fix this safety issue.

Another safety issue is that throughout the lagoon there are rock formations. Some of these extend further under water than you can see, meaning you find it by crashing into it with your knees or toes. The effect would be ruined if these were painted bright orange, but maybe some warning signs would be good.

Now let's get to it! On its website, Sky Lagoon says it's located "deep in nature." What they mean is that they are on the tip of the Karsnes peninsula, which is part suburban housing and part industrial park. Nearby you can find the place where canned corn and peas are produced, and you could even buy a forklift or a headstone. I don't have a problem with this -- it's a cool place to walk around, but I don't know why we have to lie about it?

The whole area is under construction, so I suppose soon enough all of these long standing businesses will be relocated and replaced with shops and cafes... time will tell.

Walking into the lagoon, I was greeted with an empty beer bottle in the entry way, and a long queue to enter. No social distancing. Only three or four people working the counter -- this won't be enough when they're in full swing. It's also super and dark and cave like. I guess that's atmosphere?

I had the "Sky Pass" which gave me access to completely private shower and changing, but that's not much of a perk for an extra $40 or so. You don't get a robe or a glass of bubbles or anything to take home. Maybe fewer people to see you wipe out on the slippery floor?

It wasn't too crowded, but there was a long line for the bar (this ebbed and flowed, but never completely went away). The "natural" rocks and boulders in the lagoon were covered with empty glasses. An employee has to swim around with a bucket and collect these. I hope they get a bonus!

At one end of the lagoon is the "Sky Ritual." Note the website says, "The traditions of bathing culture are integral to the Icelandic way of life, and they’re at the core of the Sky Lagoon experience." My Icelandic in-laws all choked at this. It's hype. If you want to really see the Icelandic bathing ritual, please make a visit to one of the many community swimming pools. They are a central part of Icelandic life, and the number one way we survive the winter. NB: Of course natural lagoons were the way in older times, but these now often get so many visitors that they have very high levels of bacteria. Best to avoid. Stick with man-made, maintained pools.

So, the ritual! Plunge in a cold pool (no thanks), sit in a sauna which has, no joke, the largest window in Iceland (and that slippery floor), stand outside in a cold mist (you can do this for free about 300 days a year), smear up with an oil and salt scrub, visit a steam room which is so steamy you cannot see what's happening in the back (again, no thanks), then shower off and go back to your lagoon visit.

It was nice, but not life changing.

But swimming around in the warm water (some parts are hotter than other, so you can find your ideal spot) was nice, especially when it comes with such good views. Of course there were also dudes getting a little drunk and singing loudly, and another person deciding to do a lap with lots of splashing kicking feet. So, you know. It's a tourist attraction, with all the good and bad that goes with it.

I did have a nice time, but if I were on a budget or had limited time, I'd probably skip and just visit one of our community pools. And remember all those perfect pics you see are carefully crafted selfies, and don't always tell the whole story!

8  Thank MsMessyHG
Reviewed 17 May 2021

Great experience! Hard to believe you're in the middle of the city, looks as a wild corner of Iceland, very realistic.
A beautiful view includes the Reykjanes volcano eruption, the president residence, Snæfellsjökull, and the West side of Reykjavik.
2 hours is enough to get rid of stress and feel the difference.

2  Thank SergeyK1376