All reviews afternoon tea high tea family friendly hotel half term main restaurant a la carte menu lovely grounds cream tea scones coach house country house steam room old house great facilities relaxation room relaxed atmosphere full body massage
Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

Me and my friend visited on Sunday for a relaxing spa break and light lunch (extra £12) whilst our boyfriends were off on a stag do. So they treated us.

We arrived, through the hotel which was stunning however we waited at least 15 mins to be seen, a pleasant lady then pointed us in the right direction of the spa.

We arrive at 12.30ish & had booked lunch at 1pm. We could see our table was reserved so didn’t think it would be a problem. We were seated with a questionnaire & our robes etc at the table. We went for a walk to come back and someone else be at our table and no robes to be seen? We didn’t think too much of it and just asked if we could sit outside for our lunch. This seemed to be a big issue & had to go to the bar to order food and drinks. When I asked for a wine list I was told we had to go into the hotel for this.

Our light Lunch then came(£12), I had a prawn and crayfish sandwich with chips. My sandwich had a sour taste and the prawns were so watery it was making my bread do soggy. I then avoided the fish as was worried it was off and ate the chips. I wanted to inform the staff but no one was around! When she finally came over to take our plates. I told her how I felt and just got brushed off. No sorry, no offer to exchange.

We just got on with it as didn’t want to waste the day it had only just begun. We then visited the spa reception and explained again about our towels and that Someone is now in our seats meaning we went our side.. she replied ‘what do ou want me to do about it’ I then got a little annoyed and asked for more towels and robes?! We did get them eventually.

We had a bottle of wine and asked could take it through. Yes in plastic glasses. So I asked for plastic glasses. Which seemed as if I had asked for a million pound. We then waited to get our glasses. Our bottle of wine was left of the bar for us to go back and top up. I asked if we could put it in the fridge as anyone could help themselves. I had a simple answer of no.

The spa was nice, but pictures are deceiving. It was full of children and was not in the slightest relaxing. The hydro pool was tiny and full of dead flys and wasps and other floating objects.
The facilities were spread out. I then went for a massage. She was 5 minutes late and I was let out 10 minutes Early. But to honest I was glad it was over. I wasn’t asked what pressure I would like it. After squirming around for a few minutes thinking the therapist would notice and change I then asked, I had to ask another 3 times for her to be softer. I didn’t enjoy it at all.

Was very disappointed with the staffs attitude when trying to complain. I never normally complain about anything but when paying so much money we expect a good service.

Would never return which is a shame because the grounds and hotel and beautiful.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank lucyannet2017
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Dear Lucy-Anne T,

Thank you for writing your review yesterday, I am concerned and sorry that you experienced shortcomings with your spa day as its not our normal level of customer service. I have discussed the review with Samantha, our spa manager, and she has asked me to convey her apology. Please could you email Samantha as she would like to restore your faith, the contact email is samantha.denning@theelmshotel.co.uk

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 August 2018

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and little boy for 2 nights last weekend for a summer break. The booking had been quite problematic with several phonecalls made to us querying the rate etc and also an email addressed to a different customer with inaccurate information about our booking. We were therefore a little anxious about how our stay would be.

The hotel is beautifully furnished and quite quirky in décor. The grounds are extensive and great to walk around. We were told we weren't allowed to dine in the main restaurant as children were not allowed which we found quite strange in this day and age. Our little boy is 6 and quite used to eating in restaurants and would have behaved beautifully. Nonetheless this was the rule so we ate outside in the garden. The a la carte menu was cooked extremely well, wimply delicious and there were some unusual combinations on the menu which made it interesting. Unfortunately we had to wait quite some time after our food had been served for cutlery to be brought to us. Overall we found the staff very friendly and went out of their way but they did seem to be over-worked in many areas. The spa and pool area was not manned during all opening hours which seemed a bit disconcerting should someone get into difficulty whilst swimming in the pool.

This is not a cheap hotel to stay at and we felt that there was a definite lack of management present on this occasion. No management to greet or generally oversee the staff who were all quite young and albeit doing a good job it was noticeable that no-one was leading the team. I also note the rather bland responses from the General manager on this site. Specific problems raised by customers should be addressed individually.

Having said all of this we really enjoyed our stay and would be happy to recommend to others. A few small tweaks could elevate this hotel to excellent.

Room Tip: Family room was large with plenty of room for an extra put up bed for our son
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank nurse319
Reviewed 8 August 2018

Went with a group of friends,service was great & staff were friendly & helpful. Facilities were good & choice of treatment was fabulous. The food was great too (big portion for lunch!) my only criticism would be that there could be some sun loungers outside while using the spa as it was such a beautiful day when we went & some loungers to use would've been perfect.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

My husband, my best mate and her husband booked The Elms for us all for 2 nights, as a surprise weekend away for my 50th birthday. From start to finish we had a lovely time. The staff were in on the surprise, letting my best mate & her partner in to our room before hubby & I booked in. They were able to jump out & shout SURPRISE at me when the receptionist showed us to our room. A lovely bouquet of flowers had been ordered & placed in our room. Beautifully presented & tasting food, served by attentive staff. We took our 12.5 yr old boxer dog with us for the weekend, there were 2 bowls left put for him. The hotel/restaurant has it's own orchard, veg and fruit garden, who's produce is used for the restaurant.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jackie W
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2018

Dear Jackie W,

Thank you for writing your review after recently celebrating your 50th birthday. Its certainly sounds like you had a wonderful suprise, and we are delighted to know how much you enjoyed your stay at the Elms.

With best wishes,

Reviewed 6 August 2018

Yes, a very attractive building in a superb setting with young, friendly staff who have clearly been trained in customer service but we found several basic faults which somewhat spoilt our stay at The Elms.
As we had our dog with us we were staying in a block of accommodation to the right of the main hotel.
Fair enough but we were unable to drive within a comfortable distance of our room to unload the car because of
a stone built flower bed blocking the access route.
We found the dinner menu ( £45 pp !! ) somewhat limited in terms of selection and two of the main courses incurred a supplementary charge..
The newspaper ordering system seemed to fail completely, the first morning we received two newspapers when
we had only requested one and on the second morning we received the wrong newspaper completely. Surely it
is not too difficult in an establishment of this size ( 30 rooms?) to implement a system that actually works?
The coffee served at breakfast was luke warm and virtually undrinkable due to a large quantity of grounds which
appeared when the drink was poured.
We and friends who were staying had difficulties in reconciling and actually paying our final bill.
The points listed above may appear trivial but The Elms is by no means a "cheap" hotel and for the money we paid we would not have expected to encounter some of the elementary failings which somewhat marred our stay

Stayed: August 2018
2  Thank 503Tony
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Dear 503Tony,

Thank you for recently staying at the Elms and for writing your review. I do hope that on the whole you enjoyed your stay but would like to apologise that you found some parts of your stay to be of dissapointment.

With best wishes,