“Lunchtime on May 2nd 2018”
Review of Passage House Inn

Passage House Inn
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

I had booked a table for 1230 lunchtime on Wednesday for three of us. Not a member of staff in sight. My son saw our table and despite being asked to spell my surname when I booked the name on the reservation sign was spelt incorrectly. We sat down and waited and waited. Eventually I went up to the bar to ask if anyone was going to serve us. “Oh people usually come up to the bar to order. We have someone off sick, but I’ll get someone to come to your table.”

So menus were found, drinks and food ordered. Starters and most of mains were OK, but my son’s pie had dried up edges, as though it had been left in a microwave for a bit too long and the mashed potato looked as though it was made up, rather than real potatoes.

It is some years since I was last at the Passage House Inn and it will be several years before I go back again.

2  Thank zaksgran4503

Reviewed 21 April 2018

We visited on Friday 20 April 2018 for dinner. What a mistake ! Staff are slovenly - bearded man waiter (manager?) scruffy, grimey, trousers nearly around his knees. Ordered Ribeye Steak - £15 - when arrived, plate was cold, steak thin and limp. Had obviously been precooked (suggest kitchen method to pre-cook stack of steaks, keep warm until ordered then taken out, shown pan - maybe grilled - for 30 secs, then served). THE WORST STEAK I HAVE EVER HAD & WORST RESTAURANT. Management and staff standards/training/supervision obviously very poor. Grave doubts about food hygiene standards. When complained, staff defensive, argumentative. We will never return - probably the worst restaurant in Devon and association (by being next door and serving their guests) detrimental to standing/reputation of Best Western hotels. To add insult to injury, was served cold coffee. Don't go there !!!

5  Thank 123greenmail
Reviewed 19 April 2018

Just to be clear, this review is of the pub not the hotel next to it.
I have visited this pub on a number of occasions over the last 30 years and situated next to the River Teign, it is unquestionably at its best when the sun is out, the tide is in and you can sit out by the side of the river for a drink or something to eat. A few years ago I even watched an Osprey flying up the river as I was having a drink here. Having said that you can sit in the pub/restaurant and look out over the river at any time of the year and can expect a well cooked plate of pub food at a reasonable price and choose from a drink from a limited but reasonable selection at the bar. It's never going to knock your socks off with high range cuisine or specialist beers/ciders but as long as you understand this it is well worth a visit, particularly in the summer.
The pub itself is split into a pub and restaurant section and food and drinks are available in both. The restaurant has more tables by the side of widows but if eating/drinking inside I tend to prefer the pub end as it has a little more of a "pub" feeling, however this is personal choice.

Reviewed 17 April 2018

Went here for the evening dinner on a Sunday we were staying in hotel next door and had the carvery which was very nice except for having to put up with the chefs children running around shouting as his wife had brought them in. As food was good we decided to go back on Monday evening when there were very few customers, most of those staying in hotel. We ordered the house spcial which was curry and a slice of Chicken Pie with veg. We had to wait 44 minutes for it to be served, I am no chef but could have done it in half the time, and even then the pie was overcooked and the poppadoms were like shop ones cooked in oil, and were served all soggy.
Drink prices very expensive, I will avoid in future.

3  Thank Gloryhornetboy08
Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

Served by a lady with short hair and rimmed glasses no problem until I had to take the tea back as it was only warm, refused to give me a hot pot of tea after looking in the pot and saying most of it was gone.
I went back outside and returned with 2 cups of tea one nearly full the other a third full .
She still wouldn't give me a hot pot of tea, insisting it was hot, I of course disagreed with her.
As I walked away she said again it was warm !! I replied yes Luke warm .
As I got to the door i heard her say go away!!
Charming way to treat customers.
I turned around and said I think someone wants a review on trip advisor.
She then said from behind the bar and I'm still by the front door, that's what you wanted a free cup of tea .
No I wanted a hot cup of tea ...i wasn't asking for money back !
Disappointed sort your staff out passage house ...
And I will be back as I have a wedding to go too there..
God help us if the service is like I experienced today .

3  Thank Jacky B