See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 July 2017

My wife and I stayed at the Horse Pond Inn in May because we were attending a wedding in the local area and as it was the bank holiday weekend, everything else was booked up. We were generally happy with our room, evidently recently done up, although it was very sparse. The staff member who checked us in was very helpful, especially as we had asked for an early check in and were rushed for time due to traffic. However we didn't get any breakfast and there was no one around most of the time we were there.
When we woke up in the morning, we had been given no information about our stay so we hadn't no idea when breakfast was. We were out of our room shortly after 9am and several guests were waiting outside the eating area for breakfast because this was apparently when breakfast was meant to be, but the place was silent - not a soul around. Eventually these guests had to leave to go on their way. We waited around for half an hour, went back to our room and returned shortly after 10 when the cleaner turned up and said breakfast finished at 10. He offered to sort us something but informed us he did not have food hygiene certification, did not know how to cook meat because he was vegan and was just employed to clean the toilets. We turned this offer down. There was still no one else in the building. There was no one tocheck us out so we left the key in the room (where it had been left for us - not very secure!) and found breakfast elsewhere.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2017

We stayed earlier this week and had a lovely stay. Our bedroom and bathroom were very spacious and modern and the decor was extremely stylish.

The full English breakfast was substantial , delicious and well presented.

Simon, the owner, couldn't have been more helpful and any requests or queries were dealt with pleasantly. He works very hard to make sure his guests are happy.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2017 via mobile

4 of us recently stayed here and found it very pleasant. I think the rooms must have had a makeover recently based on the comments below. The bed was extremely comfy and everything was clean. I can only give it 4 stars as there was no toilet roll in the room and the milk for tea and coffee was off, however when mentioned to the staff - the lady immediately went to get us some more and was very polite. The breakfast was fantastic - my partner doesn't often eat a full English, but even his plate was cleaned. Overall a good experience.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
simon m, Owner at Horse Pond Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2017

Many thanks for your review we are pleased you enjoyed your stay at the horse pond inn. Yes we have recently updated the letting rooms and public house to a very good standered hoping to turn around the past comments. We hope that if your ever passing again that you will bare us in mind for a place to stay.

Kind regards

Simon mitchell

Reviewed 7 April 2017 via mobile

Came here for a drink and possibly a meal. Left after having 1 pint after one of the patrons mumbled about giving my wife "a slap" after she & my kids sat down in an empty bar. Feel free to visit if you're in a fighting mood! Otherwise, not recommend.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank ColinP1234
simon m, Owner at Horse Pond Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2017

We are sorry you had such a bad expirance at the horse pond inn. It's hard to try and keep all customers in line at all times. All I can do is apologies on there behalf. If you had of come and said to my self I would of acted as needed as I don't condone any one feeling out of place in my pub! I hope you and your family enjoyed your time in the pool room and hope you would give us a chance to show you that castle cary the house pond inn is not as you described.

Kind regards

Simon mitchell

Reviewed 24 February 2016

Booked in for one night as my daughter lodges nearby and I live near Southampton.
Travelled by motorcycle and parking was convenient, right outside my room in fact.
Breakfast wasn't available due to staff problems but there were alternatives nearby so no sweat, The room was clean enough if a little dated but convenient as my daughter was only a couple of streets away. The staff were friendly and I would probably have been a regular visitor until I got my credit card bill to find I had been charged for two nights, Despite e-mails and several phone calls no one bothered to reply, the manager was always 'out' ! Shoddy service, Needless to say I won't be going back.

Date of stay: December 2015