All reviews hotel parkside non smoking room good sized bathroom ueno park keisei skyliner pleasant place to stay smell of cigarette smoke narita airport convenient location minute walk an update per night room facing tokyo standards buffet breakfast beds were comfortable spoke good english
Reviewed 7 May 2018

I stay in twin flooring room park view. The room is big comparing with other hotel in Tokyo.
The location is near subway, JR and Skyliner from airport. It is near Ameyoko market, the popular market, and Ueno park.

Room Tip: If you have kid, we recommend twin flooring room.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 December 2017

Great location, within a 5 minute walk from Ueno Station (Keisei exit) after a 40 minute trip on the Keisei Skyliner from Narita Airport. Very spacious Standard Double Smoking Room (by Japanese hotel standards) on the 5th floor, with a great view over the Shinobazu park and pond.
Very good sized bathroom with toiletries and extras. Large king-sized bed was very comfortable.
Did not eat there, as there are so many restaurants in the many streets outside, from European to South American among the many thousands of different Japanese ones.
Staff were friendly, spoke good English and no problem asking for what ever I might have needed.
There is a huge piano bar on the 10th - rooftop floor. With a great pianist playing all recognised tunes. The bar has an amazing view over most of the surrounding area.
On the down side, the free in-room WI-fi was very poor, and when I asked if they could do anything to improve it, they gave me a dongle to get better reception, it was only marginally better - I'd suggest getting a SIM card at the airport rather than rely on the hotel's WI-fi.
Otherwise, no complaints at all.

Room Tip: Choose the uppers floors with a view of the Shinobazu park and pond opposite
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Michael D
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

Great location. Near train station, across from Ueno Park, lots of food options nearby. Also the rear of the hotel faces the red light area of Ueno with lots of stripper joints, escorts and other adult entertainment.

What makes this hotel distinct is that they have car parking on-site. Very few hotels in the area have parking.

Observation, we had a room facing Ueno Park, assuming that it would be fairly quiet. It was quiet when the amphitheatre across the street wasn't being used. Or you will have to endure whatever event happening.

As for the room, small but not unexpected. It was clean enough. We found the beds to be uncomfortable. Wifi was fast enough to stream Netflix without issue.

Building probably needs an update soon but what they have works and is decently clean.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2017

The hotel is in a great location, close to Ueno train station, with lots of eating and shopping facilities close-by. The "red-light district" at the back of the hotel is not at all scary or confronting! I found it very quiet inside the hotel and I got a good night sleep each night I was there, even when a typhoon came through!
The room was an adequate size for a Japanese single room, but it was a bit dimly lit. It was an older style room but perfectly adequate. The bathroom was well equipped with toiletry items. I had no issues with the wifi. I didn't feel like my non-smoking room was smoky, and I am very averse to the smell of cigarette smoke!
The front desk staff were polite and helpful. I was able to leave my bags for a whole day after checking out and they were perfectly safe. I was able to change clothes in the downstairs rest rooms before leaving for my late evening flight.
The buffet breakfast was good, with plenty of Western and Japanese options. The front desk staff like to know what time you'll be having your breakfast but it didn't seem to matter when I was a bit late one morning.

The location of this hotel is a big plus! I would recommend it!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2017

My close buddy and I visited Tokyo and we stayed in Hotel Parkside Ueno.
We have stayed in standard twin room for 4 nights, non smoking room.
Room size were big, for Tokyo standards and very clean, but slightly old fashioned. Price were slightly at high side, and we paid about USD125 per night, with breakfast.
Breakfast were basic, but adequate to kickstart the day.
The location was superb, just maybe 5 min walk distance from Keisei-ueno station, Yushima subway, and other subways are just a stone thrown away.
The aircon was centralized though its temperature can be controlled, the mode cannot be changed to heater or other mode, so it might not be a good choice if we were to stay there in winter.
Will try again to stay there if I am not in Tokyo during winter.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends