“A gem on the island of dreams”
Review of Il Pirata

Il Pirata
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

We took lunch here on our final day on tremiti and it was superb !
Loved the things that everyone else seems to hate ,
Agree that the menu is superficial tho he did cook a very good fresh tomato pasta with fresh basil and Parmesan for my vegetarian wife
I asked for potatoes and was told no , and wine was local by the litre or half litre
I then said what about a Greco de tuffo
So he found one , actually 3 by the time we finished and it was superb
The fish platter we were given with no choice was superb
And the experience was a treat one of the best we all had in many years in Italy
And all for circa €100 with tip
We also had a tour of his exstensive picture collection and his small museum
This is a very quirky venue but I shall remember the day as one of the best ever in Italy and have no hesitation in recommending if you visit
But remember you get what you are given
Enjoy !

Reviewed 7 July 2016

Nothing appears to have changed since Phil S reviewed this place in August 2014. Manager still up to his old tricks of feigning Primi menu is unavailable and trying to upsell you to the secondi section of the menu. Also demanding cash, Stand your ground and he pillows albeit with a sour look. Pity. The food is very good and the restaurant has a beautiful position.

Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

This restaurant has a wonderful position in front of the sea on the main beach in San Domino. I remember they used to serve good food in the past. I remember they had a small pool full with lobster and other fishes. Yes I remember! Now this is all in the past. The food is quite under average, but still you have to pay a lot of money. I left the restaurant very disappointed. Still hungry, realising to have spent almost 80 euros for a big bowl of pasta with 5 shrimps. 3 leafs of salad and a bottle of water. I should have gone in the centre of the island looking for a snack, but I did not want to move from the beach, but next time......I will remember!

1  Thank Gerardo S
Reviewed 22 August 2014

First, the good points. The food at this restaurant was really, really delicious. They served the tastiest fritto misto di mare and the biggest, most flavoursome grilled prawns we have ever had. The waitress service was also entirely acceptable; prompt and friendly.

Second, the bad point. There is a tallish man, with grey hair and a light grey beard. I think he may be the owner. Beware him.

When you tell him what you want, he might tell you that the dish you have requested has finished for the day, because the restaurant has been really busy. He might then recommend you have something else, which might be one of the more expensive dishes on the menu. When you ask to see the menu you again, he might say that most of the dishes have finished, and again recommend you have what he has suggested. You might then see someone at a nearby table being given the dish you have just been told has finished).

When it comes to paying the bill, he might tell you that credit cards are not accepted, despite the fact that someone at a nearby table has just paid using theirs. He might tell you that there is now a problem with the line.

It might be that the owner just wants people to pay cash for his most expensive dishes, especially English tourists who can't speak Italian well enough to argue with him, and explain that what he is saying doesn't appear to be true. I would really like to think that this man doesn't tell lies to English tourists on purpose, but I seem to be the second English tourist from Nottingham, England, who has experienced a mysterious problem with the telephone line when trying to pay by credit card. More than a coincidence?

In summary, fantastic food but very devious service from Greybeard the Pirate.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

What a wonderful place to have a relaxing lunch - overlooking the sea and the wooded cliffs of the Tremiti coastline. But what a pity the food didn't match. We both accepted the owner's recommendation of grilled local fish - this turned out to be a small plate of whitebait and squid - no sauce and no vegetables. With some water, the bill came to 46 Euros.

When I wanted to pay by credit card, the owner said there was a problem, despite displaying a prominent sign to the contrary. However, when he did finally accept the card, the problem had miraculously disappeared.