1,905 results
All reviewssands restaurantprivate beachno liftbuilding workbeach barsea viewst ivessecret escapesreception staffcoastal pathrestaurant staffheated poolstunning locationlovely hotelspa treatmentswedding partytravelzoo deal
Reviewed 19 June 2018

I am not one to complain but was distraught when I turned up at the Carbis Bay hotel to find huge building works taking place hanging over the beach destroying the view and peace. They are extending and building out the hotel.I have been here a few times and know how beautiful it was previous. I booked a stay through secret escapes and was not warned at any stage that this would be going on. I complained and was told that they notify their guests who book through them and that secret escapes should have notified me. I dont think this is acceptable and I was so upset that I was not told and I would not have stayed. This was a treat for my husband who has been unwell and was more stressful than relaxing. All views from the hotel ruined and the noise was horrible. Not only that but it took us 25 mins to try and park as the car park was mainly full of workmen vehicles. We were 'upgraded' to a seaview room that was looking straight out at the noisy works and woke me up at 6am with beeping vehichles and banging. The room was hot and noisy with people stomping and creaking above and the building works made it worse. We also had a dinner included in our deal (which was also very average) and I thought I had better ring ahead to reserve a time as I had not received any comunication from the hotel. I was told 'well done for calling we are almost fully booked'. And on checking in reception congratulated me on taking the initiative to book ahead as the only tables left were after 9.30pm. ?!! All in all I am very upset about our stay and nothing was done to compensate us. I am in contact with secret escapes now to take it further. I would recommend no one stays here until all the work is complete. And please do ask for a quiet room as ours was so noisy with the building work and without!

Room Tip: Choose top floor to avoid noise above
1  Thank Sasha P
Catherine D, Front Office Manager at Carbis Bay Hotel & Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Dear Sasha,
We note your review, thank you for your time. To reassure you, our amazing new beach lodges will be finished very soon and ready in July. We are very much looking forward to their completion and being able to offer enhanced beachside accommodation and new facilities to our guests. They are away from the hotel, spacious, light and airy with their own hot tubs and a very exciting addition to our Estate. All our guests are notified and we always do our best to find the best room to suit our guests' wishes. We regret the mix-up over your dinner reservation as we always try to contact our guests in advance of their arrival. We would be happy to discuss with you further if you would like to call the office of our Assistant Manager and of course, hope you will visit us again at a future date.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

I have admired Carbis bay on social media for years and planned 2 nights especially to come. Was a disappointing experience all round. Hotel nothing like anticipated from their website and social media and I don't think it was down to the building works, this didn't bother us apart from having to wait 20 minutes in the carpark to check in after a 12 hour journey as they were offloading cement. Room tired and grubby, not what expected from the pictures, although did not mention this as I knew they were full as they had called us the night before arrival to see if we would be willing to "change the date of our stay" (overbooked) so I guessed as we were on a cheaper package rate we would be allocated the poorer rooms which I can accept. They forgot to bring over our menu in spa which I shrugged off but then it happened again the next night in the bar, which was very quiet, Even after I eventually went up and got one from the bartender no one came to take an order so we left after 30 minutes for dinner- twice the hotel missed out on revenue due to their service. Evening service was rude when I asked for a 125ml wine which says is possible on the menu- he snapped "must be an old menu, we cannot do that" and snatched the menu away and said only 175ml is possible. First morning our toast was given to another table and we had finished our breakfast before they realised. The next day they did not come to get our toast/food order for 25 minutes, (only us and another 2 in breakfast room as we came down for it opening) which we had to leave for our journey home. I have genuinely never complained about a hotel, especially on tripadvisor, previously being a hotel manager for many years I empathise with the challenges- but the lack of service and apparent leadership from any Management in the F&B area was surprising. It honestly felt like it was a chore for the staff to deal with guests. I mentioned my experiences on checkout but was not contacted by any Managers as I expected I would be. Only saving grace was the food was excellent, the check in staff friendly and that we were not paying the full rate - really not worth the cost or journey.

3  Thank gctraveller2018
Catherine D, Front Office Manager at Carbis Bay Hotel & Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Your time spent in writing your review is appreciated, thank you. We are pleased you enjoyed your food but sorry to learn of your restaurant service experience. This is not our expected level of service and we would very much welcome the opportunity to speak with you if you would like to call us and request our Assistant Manager's office.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

Great room, the spar was very good, treatments worth the money. The grounds and beach 100% clean and tid (no plastic waste or rubbish).The food offer was good but the evening meals could be improved, that said the breakfast was great Nice outdoor heated pool and of cause the atlantic is there to swim in, very clean water and warmish. All in all we will go again. There were building works going on but, very well managed to avoid noise.

Room Tip: sea and beach view

Dear Steve,
Such a lovely review on our spa and beach, thank you. Our evening menu is generally very well received but thank you for your views. Our lodges are nearly finished - perhaps try them next time - they are just amazing when you go in and see how they are on the edge of the ocean!

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

You know you are onto a winner as your drive down the windy road and are presented with a sublime view of endless clear blue sea and stunning surrounding. We booked some spa treatments at the hotel however you could tell from the presentation of the hotel its very well managed and looked after. Everything felt and looked in place and the staff well groomed and presentable. This place was serious about their presentation. We w were led to the spa area which had a lovely secluded swimming, outdoor wooden sauna, and hot tub. All of which were operational and clean. The swimming pool needed some cleaning of sediment that had settled at the bottom but other that, you couldn't fault it. Myself and my partner both booked some massage. I went for the sports massage and Juan, who did not fail in relieving months of muscle knots over a period of an hour melting them away with the skills of someone who knew exactly what they were doing. Good effort Juan, I tip my hat to you.

The massage rooms had lovely aroua about and I felt instantly comfortable. It was immaculately clean and all the equipment worked and it looked good. Perfect space for melting away those muscles knots.. Ah the pain.

We stuck around and used the rest of the facilities, all of which were clean and looked good, plenty of flavoured water on tap, but didn't quite ubderstand the plastic water glasses. To me it felt strange to be drinking out of them.

I left there feeling heavenly and would highly recomment it there.

One thing that would be interesting would be to see the place at full capacity, we were lucky and there was hardly anyone around.

We later went to eat at the beach hut which is a stones throw away from the spa/Hotel. The place was again brimming with natural light and the decor was quaint. The food was lovely and the chefs put their labour of love into the plates. I couldnt faluter it. The waitresses where all very lovely and kept a keen eye out for, if we needed their attentions. Service with a smile and we felt very welcome at the location. Even given a little. Birthday plate treat, as it was my partners birthday. One of the girls went and grabbed it from the main hotel, which was a very lovely gesture.

Only thing was we couldnt give any tips when making a card paymet... Errr who uses cash these days..

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrVeep

Dear Mr Veep,
Thank you so much for your great review - we are really pleased you enjoyed your stay and particularly our beautiful Spa and Beach Club Restaurant. Do come again if you can (oh, and by the way, those plastic glasses - these are just in case you are tempted into enjoying a drink within our pool area!) .

Reviewed 17 June 2018

The hotel is in a prime location overlooking a beautiful bay, but you must hurry if you want to enjoy the view as extensive building work is in progress below the hotel terrace which will seriously spoil the view. How on earth planning permission was granted is a mystery to me. When we were there at the end of May there was continual noise from building works and lots of construction traffic. I think it's very sad that commercial greed has resulted in such an idyllic beach being over-developped like this.
When we first arrived around lunchtime we were told it was too early to check in and were asked to return at 3pm. When we did so, we were shown to a tiny airless room overlooking the car park and the 'bathroom' was little more than a cupboard. This was allegedly a superior double, in which case I'd hate to see what a standard double is like. We asked to be moved but were told that it was too late as everyone had checked in and here were no spare rooms. Strange, after what we had been told earlier... Eventually another (more helpful) receptionist intervened and found us perfectly acceptable room with a sea view.
Breakfast was adequate, dinner was average and quite expensive, The pool area is pleasant but cramped. The hotel's unique selling point is undoubtedly the view, but for how much longer?

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Janis,

Thank you for your review and please don't be concerned at all about any change in the view. It is most definitely still as stunning as ever and our location is being enhanced with superb additional lodges on our beach, all with the most amazing sea views as well.
These are nearing completion and really are the ultimate in beachside living. Soon all the construction work will be done.
We are pleased we found you an acceptable alternative for your room and do hope you will return to see what we are doing.