“Nautical Experiences boat hire”

Boat Rentals Pollensa
Reviewed 28 June 2017

We initially spoke to 'Joan' who offered us a special price of 120euros for 4 hours hired assured us we would be able to take ourselves out to the Blue Cave to snorkel, had a think over lunch and went back to book. A very nice English man helped us to organise our trip for the following day, explained we can't get to the blue cave as its beyond the no licence zone, quoted the standard price of 120 Euros (so much for Joan and her special deal) but offered us a good deal for an 8 hour hire of the 'Silver' Boat, it was the boat that made us book with them as it had a lovely sunbathing area at the front and didn't need a licence, we paid our deposit to come and take the boat out the next day. On our return the Spanish man refused to honour the offer we had been given the day before even though he was there and confirmed it. After a long and slightly surly (on his part) conversation he offered a 10 euro reduction on the full price but wouldn't guarantee that we could have the boat for the 8 hours. We decided to stick to the 4 hours hire and headed off to the boat. The staff member who was there to instruct us could barely speak english and didn't seem very sure of himself when navigating the boat to the jetty where he left us to it. After that bad start we had an amazing time exploring the bay out as far as Formentor, we dropped anchor in Calo Des Moro bay behind the Fortreza and had the place pretty much to ourselves to swim and snorkel, heaven!
There are a lot of boat hire places all together by the marina touting for business, we would certainly recommend taking a boat out but be aware that the deal they offer may not be what you get (Also as an extra when you get back you have to pay for fuel, ours was 20 Euros on top of the 120 hire cost.)

1  Thank TheWoodburns
"marina"
"sea"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

We rented a no license boat for 1 day. It was new boat called "Brothers", very good. The Team were very friendly and helpful.

We had a great day. Thank you

1  Thank TulipCP
Reviewed 16 September 2016

Our boat rental and day spent in the bay of Pollensa was the low point of our vacation due to the quality of rental and level of service / professionalism conveyed by Boat Rentals Pollensa.

I had reached out to Catherine at Boat Rentals Pollensa (also appearing to do business as "Nautical Experiences") back in July 2016 to inquire on availability, size, license requirements, etc. for a day rental for 4 persons in early September.

I was informed there were two boats available for rental in which did not require a license and was provided details for each. We had elected to rent the hard body boat "Atlantico" for the day as it appeared to accommodate our group of 4 best as the "Julia - Zodiac420" was inflatable and did not appear to be as spacious from the photos regardless of the fact it said it could accomodate 6 instead of 4. After many back and forth emails attempting to secure the Atlantico rental we finally received confirmation the day prior to our departure requesting a wire be sent for 50% of the rental fee of 160 Euros (or 80 Euros). I informed Catherine that since we were departing the next day I would not be able to process a bank transfer and asked whether acceptable to pay full balance in cash the day of. She confirmed this was acceptable and that reservation was guaranteed for the Atlantico and rental was available from 10am to 6pm.

Fast forward to the day of rental. As we were staying in Palma we had nearly 1 hour travel time to reach Pollensa. I messaged Catherine at 08:39am to inform her we would arrive to collect boat by 11:30am. Upon our arrival (prior to 11:30am) we located the booth and met Catherine. As we began to speak with her we were interrupted by a women who also rented from them as she forgot the map at the booth. The woman was handed a map and Catherine proceeded to inform us that a mistake had been made and that our requested boat had not been delivered and instead we would receive an "upgrade" to the Julia Zodiac420 at no additional cost. As stated previously this was not our desired boat as it appeared to be less spacious than the Atlantico we reserved.

Given we had already drove from Palma and had planned to explore the Pollensa bay that day, we decided to make the most of it and accepted the "upgrade".

I quote "upgrade" as it is a far stretch... it may have been 20 euros more to rent but it was a pitiful boat, worn, weathered, and essentially taped together. It was cramped for the 4 of us let alone the 6 they claim it could accommodate comfortably. The engine had us moving at a snails pace - even those kayaking were passing us at times.

We were told there were a few areas in which we could anchor and when we stopped at the first, Formentor, we were told by those operating the bouy's that we would need to pay 14 euros regardless of how long we stayed. This information would have been helpful at the time we discussed with Catherine areas we could anchor. We then proceeded to go to one of the sandy areas in which no bouy was necessary and found the rope provided for anchor to be insufficient, after several attempts and no luck anchoring and drifting towards the shore we decided it simply wasn't enjoyable and we decided to return back to the port to return the boat.

Once we arrived to the port we were greeted by Raul to check the prop, petrol consumption, etc. At this time, we saw the woman who interrupted us in line return with her boat which was none other than the Atlantico (the boat we had reserved). She and 3 other women were quite comfortable with plenty of room while the 4 of us had barely room to sit without overwhelming the others personal space.

At this point I was irritated to say the least as we were told that our boat "wasn't delivered" due to a "mistake" NOT that is was given to someone else who had been right next to me when you were telling me of said "mistake".

I calmly approached Catherine at the booth and conveyed my frustration. I asked why she would have said our boat wasn't delivered when it clearly had been and that the "mistake" was that they rented to someone else knowingly and then tried to cover it up in hopes of keeping our rental fee. Her response?

She became confrontational indicating it wasn't her mistake that Raul gave the boat to the wrong people. I asked how that could be when the woman who rented our boat was right next to me when she was informing me of the mistake? Obviously the mistake could have been easily corrected since Catherine already knew they were taking our boat at the time she rented to us. As I suspected after speaking with the woman it wasn't a mistake and they simply gave our boat away as the woman who rented it didn't like the Julia Zodiac420. When I called Catherine out on this, she proceeded to say that they normally have a deposit which has NOTHING to do with the "mistake" made as she emailed me to confirm it was ok to pay in cash the day of and I emailed 1.5 hours PRIOR to them opening to tell them when we would arrive. She then told us we needed to pay 25 euros for petrol which there was no support for the consumption - only a phone call from Raul telling her 25 euros. I asked for a discount given our inconvenience and she said she already gave us one by "upgrading" us the the Julia Zodiac420.

All in all, very disappointed with this company. They took advantage of an opportunity to make money by being dishonest and pawned a boat off to us that was in no way worth 60 euros let alone the 190 euros they charge for it.

If I could rate them LESS than 1 I would.

In conclusion, if you want to have a nice day on the bay of Pollensa I suggest going to another company to rent a boat.

7  Thank Hoodlm
Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

Long story short...I'd emailed to book a boat, bait and rods a few days in advance. We arrived to be told "I hadn't confirmed the booking, so it wasn't available" utter rubbish as I showed them back the emails we had exchanged, in Spanish confirming....

Anyway...the owner said 'he would sort it' I should have left then and followed my 'don't be a stupid Brit abroad' instinct. Hmmm.

He (the owner) organised a boat for us with another company, which was not what we'd ordered...he then said he would get us the fishing gear....

Fishing gear; well if you call a broken rod with no reel, one hook and only enough line to catch a tadpole in a sink...fishing gear then you are as stupid I clearly was! When I asked for it to be changed, I was told "no problem, we will bring it to you at the boat" unsurprisingly, when we'd paid and where on the boat....we where told no more gear! €20 lighter, and in fact he wanted to charge €40, luckily the lady from the 'new' boat retail company, put him in line!

So our fishing trip turned into a very expensive potter round the port, obviously the only fish today would be from Eroski

Just proceed with caution! Don't be a stupid Brit abroad, as clearly I was....

3  Thank Simon_Givens