All reviewsbeautiful poolbusiness tripvisit athensimpressiongymlaptoptaxikiffisiametrobalconygreeceneighborhood
Reviewed 11 June 2017

I stayed in Athens in June 2017, looking for a quiet hotel with a pool where I could work before moving into central Athens for a conference. This hotel proved to be a perfect choice.

Getting a cab from Athens airport to the hotel proved the least painful of all options, I paid about €40 for a Welcome pickups cab and while we struggled a bit to find the place (the GPS showed the hotel to be about 200 metres up the road from the actual location), we got there in the end.

I was welcomed by a friendly gentleman at reception and was in my room very quickly, which was very good as I was anxious to get something to eat and then get working. This proved to be representative of the rest of the staff — all speaking very good English and being very attentive in an unobtrusive way.

The hotel is a relatively modern, built in the mid-2000s, if I recall correctly, and is very well kept. I was told my room was on the first floor, which threw me off a bit, but it seems to be the case that Greece follows the same tradition as the UK, counting floors from the ground floor. The lift took me up with my case and I was installed very quickly in a spacious business room with adequate workspace and a balcony.

The room had a nice marble bathroom with a bath with a shower. The shower had too low pressure to be realistically used with anything other than the massage setting, which wasn't really a problem. The bathroom followed another Greek tradition, providing a rubbish bin for toilet paper; this was emptied every day.

In sum, the room was very nice, the windows and balcony had a great view of the surrounding countryside and it was nice and cool in the mornings to open the balcony doors and work at the desk. The balcony doors have insect netting, which means they can be safely left open. The airconditioning was a bit cryptic to work out, and I would have asked at the reception, but I managed to figure things out in the end.

The major bugbear about the room was that there were too few sockets and the safe did not fit a large laptop. I am dependent on my computer for work and cannot leave it unattended in a hotel room, so it ended up going to breakfast with me.

The hotel provides wifi throughout the hotel itself and even down to the pool, which meant I could sit there and work. While the WIFI functioned adequately most of the time during the day, it seemed to die at night as people joined the network. This is a shame as I really needed to access the network for work.

The rooms had a TV with lots of channels in different languages (Greek, French, German, English among others). This meant I could kick back after a long day with some entertainment.

The breakfasts were fine — not as good as some that I have had in Greece, but certainly not bad. The guys serving breakfast were very pleasant and I found myself eating enough that I didn't need lunch.

I also ate dinner at the hotel every day during my stay, the range of options wasn't huge, but the quality was very good and I enjoyed the food. Again, the service was very good.

The pool is what makes Dekelia Hotel so nice. It really is lovely. The shape is a bit weird (triangular), but it is designed to suit all purposes and does this relatively well. The poolside is also very nice, and I found myself sitting here and working while sipping on freddo espressos rather more often and for longer than I had expected. The poolside staff are also very welcoming and attentive without being overbearing. I had a nice chat with the lifeguard while the pool was empty.

I recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a quiet getaway near, but not in, Athens. Had I had a car, I would have explored the area nearby, which is wooded and hilly.

The worst thing about my stay? The slow WIFI.

The best? The pool and service.

Worth noting that my taxi into central Athens was with a pleasant driver who I got chatting with, he said he had wondered why a foreigner would stay in such a place rather than central Athens until he walked into the hotel and saw the pool and surroundings.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2017

Hotel is modern, very clean, staff is friendly, helpful and high professional, food and vine was excellent. Cleaning of room superb. It was pleasure to stay at this hotel. Conference room availeble for business meeting.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank 12kata
Reviewed 10 December 2016

More or less funktional rooms. No real love in details (e.g. missing basics as the possibility to charge a laptop or mobile phone in the room - only one plug in the hall). The service, bed and breakfast were fine and the location relatively quite even if the closeness to the highway.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

Very nice, clean and spacious room! The cleaning ladies were very kind ! The guy at the pool very nice with kids !

The receptionists were moody and didn't even say good morning which is really unacceptable for this kind of job! The breakfast was ok but not sth special! If you r opting for calm vacation outside the city's noise and value for money there you go !Nearest community is Kifissia about 10-15 minutes by car!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2016

Booked directly on their web site and found out over charged by €100 per night compared to local booking ... Apart from that very clean and pool area very good .... Breakfast options poor considering price

Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business