All reviews short walk ski valet upper village arrange things the ground floor lots of natural light stove top bedroom apartment outdoor jacuzzi laundry room ski gear valet service cooked dinner hirafu gondola on a daily basis washing machine and dryer every other day
Reviewed 29 March 2018

We spent a week at Yama Shizen in March. It's comfortable, well appointed, conveniently located in the village. The staff is bilingual (or not bilingual - simply speaks English!) so super easy to communicate, they arrange things quickly and are very responsive. We had a small kitchenette with no dishwasher and no stove so you have limited options when it comes to preparing food, but I believe the bigger apartments have a full kitchen. 10 minute walk to the lifts.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lifou T
Renaud T, Hotel Manager at Yama Shizen, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear Lifou T,

Thank you very much for taking time to leave a review about Yama Shizen.

I am very happy to hear you found your studio room to be well appointed and convenient. As you mentioned, the 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments all have full kitchens that so you can prepare meals as you wish.

Studios have a kitchenette with a fridge, a sink and a microwave oven and are perfect if you are planning on eating out at the great local restaurants most days.

We all looking forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Niseko.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Super pick-up & delivery service to/from Hirafu Welcome Center for transportation booked by Niseko Central. Stayed in studio – worked very well for 2 adults. Very clean and nicely maintained. Easy ski storage. Within walking distance to everything in Niseko. Distance from slopes not fare, but if travelling with kids, I would not recommend. Studio not recommended if you plan on self-catering for dinner as no dinner table and only micro waveoven.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mette282
Renaud T, Hotel Manager at Yama Shizen, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Dear Mette282,

Thank you very much for your review of your stay in our Yama Shizen studio room.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the central location of the building and the service we provided.

Should you wish to do some cooking, our 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments all come with full kitchens including ovens and dining tables.

I hope we see you soon again in Niseko.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

We had the Penthouse 601 at Yama Shizen West with 3 bedrooms, 3 bathroom and an outdoor jacuzzi and an awesome view of the slopes.

Proximity to the slopes is awesome and Yama Shizen did a few extras for us like express check-in, dropping them off nearby and arranging for private transfer back to Sapporo.

Housekeeping came by every other day, mostly to change towels and clear trash.

Pluses
Apartments were in pristine condition, everything looked new and updated.
Heater worked great in the apartment and the rooms
Jacuzzi was kept to a 39 deg Celsius daily (temperature could be increased to 41) and it was something we made use of on a daily basis to soothe those tired muscles.
We made use of the kitchen a lot during our stay, whether it was for breakfast or dinners. (Thank goodness for the dishwasher)
Loved the fact that the studio had a separate washer.
Great washer/dryer area hidden behind a door.

Minuses
The smallest bathroom was functional for 1, except that the sink was really tiny, so tiny that even doing the simpliest task of washing hands would splash water all over.
The bathroom with the bathtub didn’t have a bidet toilet, which meant cold butts in winter.

Overall a great stay and it would definitely top our list of places to stay in Niseko for future trips.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Renaud T, Hotel Manager at Yama Shizen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Dear JazzyJas,

Thank you very much for taking time reviewing your stay in the Yama Shizen Penthouse.

I am glad you enjoyed the apartment, its location and the services we provided. The mountain views from West 601 are spectacular, especially at night with the night skiing lights on.

We look forward to welcoming you back again for your next holiday in Niseko.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Given the quality of the room and the location Yama Shizen was very good value as Niseko accommodation is expensive in comparison to other Japanese resorts.

All correspondence with Niseko Central (who manage Yama Shizen) before our departure was really easy and our questions were answered quickly via email.

We had a useful introduction to the hotel and the town from a member of staff on our arrival to the hotel. Both the main Gondola and the centre of Hirafu were a short walk from Yama Shizen so perfect for getting around without walking for ages.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Renaud T, Hotel Manager at Yama Shizen, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Dear sjf61,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Yama Shizen.

I am really happy to hear you enjoyed our location, along with the services we provide before and during your stay.

We all hope we see you again for your next winter holiday.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Not much that I can say or add that hasn't already been mentioned. I leaned heavily on TA reviews in making the choice to stay @ Yama Shizen West 201, and our experience was first-rate, and met/exceeded all our expectations. In hindsight, for the tariff paid, I just felt that an onsite onsen was missing from the list of amenities. Clearly we knew this beforehand, but being there and not having one was a slight negative (one of those first-world problems I suppose) for our stay.

Since our arrival was a bit hectic, getting our ski gear and all situated in preparation for the days after, I thought I'd pass along what we did. We arrived and checked in around 3pm, however we did not get a move on to get to Rhythm until around 4. It turns out that that was too late in order for us to get fitted, and up to the NC ski concierge before it closed at 5. So, we had to store our gear, and take it back to Rhythm to catch the free Rhythm shuttle up to the NC ski concierge. Perfect execution on check-in would have been to not dilly-dally, and rush to Rhythm to queue to get fitted (this was the week of CNY), and then take the Rhythm shuttle from the shop to the NC ski concierge before it closed at 5pm.

Although not new, our unit was in tip-top condition, and it clearly reflects the care and attention from NC and its housecleaning services. The beds were extremely comfortable; the bathtubs and showers all had hot water instantly, and at extremely good pressure. What I found was amazing was the cleanliness of the bathrooms - clearly, it wasn't new, and before seeing both bathrooms, I braced myself to anticipate seeing some deteriorating and even moldy grout lines. (I look at grout lines in the bathroom as a proxy for cleanliness in our hotel or Airbnb stays). But the grout lines were 100% pristine! Its almost as if NC knew that I would be focusing on it, and re-did them (?)!

Lastly, I originally booked us on the ground floor, but upgraded to the 2nd floor a few months before our travel date. Glad I did, as the snowfall was so abundant, that our 2nd floor was in effect at eye level with the snow! Btw, we had 201 all to ourselves (family of 2 adults 2 children), and boy, was it big - I would have never imagined saying this about a stay in Japan, but 201a + 201b was way too big for the four of us!

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Renaud T, Hotel Manager at Yama Shizen, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

Dear garcus,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Yama Shizen and also taking the time to leave a review.

I am delighted you enjoyed the spacious accommodation and housekeeping.

As you noticed we had a lot of snow in Niseko this season and I am sure it helped you have a wonderful holiday with your family.

I hope we see you again next winter and we will see if we can work out your ski rental pick-up a little smoother next time.