Hotels.com
A Pinocchio(Pescia)
  • Free Breakfast
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 July 2017

This was our second stay here. It is amazing value, in a great location on the edge of the lovely old town of Pescia and very close to the beautiful mountains of Northern Tuscany. It was an old paper mill and has been very creatively turned into an amazing hotel building keeping many of the original features. But, and it is quite a big but, the management do not make as much of it as they could do. For some reason they have stopped using the lovely gardens in the evening. On our first stay they put a bar out there and some snacks, and it was a very pleasant place to spend all evening. Now they've decided instead to direct all guests wanting a drink or something to eat to their sister establishment the New York Pub, a short walk up the road. Why would anyone want to visit Italy to spend time in somewhere called the New York Pub, which is nowhere near as nice as the hotel. We were told that this move had been implemented at the beginning of July. Please management, reverse this decision, or we shall not be going back. The staff are mostly helpful - a big thank you to Antonio who is fantastic - but some others definitely need to smile a little more. We guess the garden closure decision is all to do with saving money, so presumably staffing levels are at a minimum, which shows. Please get your act together San Lorenzo before it's too late.

Room Tip: Our rooms at the back were quite noisy
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elfbrook
Reviewed 23 August 2016

I stayed at the San Lorenzo whilst in Tuscany visiting some friends who have a villa just outside of Pescia.

I arrived very late at night, thankfully with a friend who was driving - I'm not sure how I'd have found the place otherwise! The reception is open 24/7 and even past 1am, the welcome was warm and I was offered water from the little bar to take upstairs.

The room was beautiful, with ancient stone walls, wooden beams and shutters, and a marble sink in the bathroom. Much of the furniture also appeared to be antique. I woke in the morning to the most beautiful view down the valley and with the sound of the stream running by the hotel (which used to be some kind of mill - there's still a working water wheel under a glass floor in the hotel lobby)

The room and all linens were clean and plentiful, the only downside to the room was that there wasn't any guide to the hotel and local area, which would have been helpful.

Breakfast was served, continental style in the dining room, which has doors that lead up to an outside patio area. Sadly, the doors were closed at the time of my visit - I would have enjoyed eating breakfast out by the stream.

The hotel staff were friendly, but unobtrusive and very helpful to me, given I don't speak Italian at all.

I borrowed a bike from the hotel to cycle down to Pescia train station for a day out, which was lovely. If I came back to this hotel, I'd definitely make use of the bikes again it was a lovely way to get around.

The pool area at the hotel is next to the Santa Caterina building and is also very clean and nice with a café/bar, but with a sign saying you can't charge food and drinks to the room. I didn't see any pool towels available there, so I'd brought one from the room.

Overall, my experience of the hotel was excellent and I made sure to recommend it to my friends who often have visitors coming from the UK.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2016

Stayed at this hotel with a group and we loved everything about the hotel. The grounds are amazing and they have a great pool and facilities. It is a countryside setting a bit out of town and its very green and forested with a river flowing along the property. The rooms are great and historic, but comfortable. The restaurant is good and the staff is great. If you're looking for a special place to get away and enjoy Tuscany in a historic setting, this place is a perfect choice.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2016 via mobile

Charming place tucked away from the city. Loved the rustic ambience.

The beds in our room were not that comfy and the food was just OK.

We brought wine and food back and sat in the courtyard and enjoyed the evening.

This place is very old and peaceful, I enjoyed my stay.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2016

We spend 5 days on this hotel in oktober 2015.
We absolutely loved the look and the feel of the place, it is a rustic charm which we like :o) amazing waking up and opening the door to the beautiful surroundings. The diningroom was beautiful and the service nice and polite - they do not speak much english though - but they are very friendly.

The food was close to terrible - for every day we stayed there, the breakfast-bread got more and more dry and hard. We had dinner included as well (a very small a la carte menu) - it was okay for me, I am vegetarien and got "special treatment) - but my husband and our kids really didn´t like it.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family