See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 August 2016

I stayed at the San Lorenzo whilst in Tuscany visiting some friends who have a villa just outside of Pescia.

I arrived very late at night, thankfully with a friend who was driving - I'm not sure how I'd have found the place otherwise! The reception is open 24/7 and even past 1am, the welcome was warm and I was offered water from the little bar to take upstairs.

The room was beautiful, with ancient stone walls, wooden beams and shutters, and a marble sink in the bathroom. Much of the furniture also appeared to be antique. I woke in the morning to the most beautiful view down the valley and with the sound of the stream running by the hotel (which used to be some kind of mill - there's still a working water wheel under a glass floor in the hotel lobby)

The room and all linens were clean and plentiful, the only downside to the room was that there wasn't any guide to the hotel and local area, which would have been helpful.

Breakfast was served, continental style in the dining room, which has doors that lead up to an outside patio area. Sadly, the doors were closed at the time of my visit - I would have enjoyed eating breakfast out by the stream.

The hotel staff were friendly, but unobtrusive and very helpful to me, given I don't speak Italian at all.

I borrowed a bike from the hotel to cycle down to Pescia train station for a day out, which was lovely. If I came back to this hotel, I'd definitely make use of the bikes again it was a lovely way to get around.

The pool area at the hotel is next to the Santa Caterina building and is also very clean and nice with a café/bar, but with a sign saying you can't charge food and drinks to the room. I didn't see any pool towels available there, so I'd brought one from the room.

Overall, my experience of the hotel was excellent and I made sure to recommend it to my friends who often have visitors coming from the UK.

Date of stay: July 2016
Reviewed 21 July 2016

Stayed at this hotel with a group and we loved everything about the hotel. The grounds are amazing and they have a great pool and facilities. It is a countryside setting a bit out of town and its very green and forested with a river flowing along the property. The rooms are great and historic, but comfortable. The restaurant is good and the staff is great. If you're looking for a special place to get away and enjoy Tuscany in a historic setting, this place is a perfect choice.

Date of stay: June 2016
Reviewed 11 July 2016 via mobile

Charming place tucked away from the city. Loved the rustic ambience.

The beds in our room were not that comfy and the food was just OK.

We brought wine and food back and sat in the courtyard and enjoyed the evening.

This place is very old and peaceful, I enjoyed my stay.

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2016

We spend 5 days on this hotel in oktober 2015.
We absolutely loved the look and the feel of the place, it is a rustic charm which we like :o) amazing waking up and opening the door to the beautiful surroundings. The diningroom was beautiful and the service nice and polite - they do not speak much english though - but they are very friendly.

The food was close to terrible - for every day we stayed there, the breakfast-bread got more and more dry and hard. We had dinner included as well (a very small a la carte menu) - it was okay for me, I am vegetarien and got "special treatment) - but my husband and our kids really didn´t like it.

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 November 2015

This is not the sort of place you want to stay if you expect everything to be modern. It's formed out of two old paper mills, about 200m apart, set in a shady valley about 2km from Pescia. Several of the staff speak English. In the public areas there is a lot of the original machinery, including a water wheel. There is a source of free water on the site, that is very good and extremely popular with the locals, who bring their containers to fill up. There are several small rooms for residents to relax, socialise and have a drink. We had a room on the first floor at San Lorenzo. It was comfortable and spacious by European standards, and kept clean by the staff. The furniture was antique but functional, and there was an amazing beamed ceiling. The only lighting came from old lamps so the room was gloomy when it was dark outside. The bathroom was fine and everything worked. The heated towel rail was very useful for drying off towels and wet clothing. There was slow but free wifi in the room.

Breakfasts were fairly typical for Italy, with rolls, cheese, ham, fruit and cereals. They had got in some gluten free products for me, but these were also popular with other guests so there wasn't much left by the end of the week. The coffee (from a machine) was disappointing. We walked over to Santa Caterina for our evening meals. These were simple but well-cooked, and they did very good special versions for me when necessary. Personally I liked the conversion from the paper mill and enjoyed staying there for a week.

Date of stay: October 2015