Review Highlights
Great Hike

Moderate hike with a couple of slick rock scrambles but overall not a hard hike. Great views and... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Spuddler
Charlottetown, Canada
Great but challenging hike

The hike offers some amazing views, but if, like in our case, it has rained the previous days... read more

Reviewed 18 October 2018
shatiel
Belfast, United Kingdom

All reviews great hike hiking boots challenging hike incredible views white mountains quick hike parking lot well worth the effort in season elevation gain parking fee take your time all ages afraid of heights waterville valley rock climbing an amazing experience
Reviewed 24 September 2018

This was one of my favorite hikes. It was challenging but certainly do-able. Take your time and enjoy the amazing views. The hike is considered moderate difficulty. I saw families with children, some people brought their dog on a leash, a trail runner or two, and mostly couples. The trail is very well marked. Truly amazing views!

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 5 September 2018

We completed the Welch-Dickey Loop trail this past August, and I have to say that the views are well worth the effort it takes to complete the loop. We followed the trail in a counter-clockwise loop, as others have suggested. The first peak is Welch Mt., which gives great 360 views from the peak, but there are also great views at many intervals after you clear the trees around 1.2 miles in. The second peak, Dickey Mt., offers great views looking North, but also great views looking back at Welch Mt. The descent from Welch Mt. to the valley between the the two mountains is a little steep at points, but nothing outrageous. Although rated moderate, I was a little more winded than I have been on other trails marked moderate, especially on the smooth bare-faced rock that ascends steeply near the tops. It took us 3 hrs., with occasional breaks.

Reviewed 30 August 2018

Planned this as a morning trail "run" (we like to trail run) based on 'moderate' labeling. Made it most of the way up, walked the final bare rock sections. Exposed "treeline" views pre-summit make the steep spots worth it and provide some much-needed motivation. Summit views were lovely given the lack of elevation. Set off at 6:30 am and only saw two others. Great way to spend a morning, would definitely suggest for beginner/intermediate hikers as it's certainly manageable with enough time and determination.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

This is definitely one of my favorite hikes I've ever done. It isn't too challenging but the views are SO amazing. It's a long loop which I always prefer to "there-and-backs" and you get a stunning new view so many times during this hike. There's some moments where you are basically walking up straight rocks so if that scares you, be warned. It often looks much scarier than it actually is and we didn't have any trouble during the hike. It is a well-marked hike and it would be very difficult to get lost, to be honest, which is a great plus. There were several other groups there when we went, so it is an easy-to-spot hike spot. I totally recommend it if you are in the area. Bring snacks and sunscreen - there aren't any shops in the immediate area and there's quite little tree cover at some times during the hike.

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

This loop gets overshadowed by some of its taller and more famous neighbors in the Whites, but after finally giving this one a shot, my wife and I now count it among our favorites! It’s a steep ascent, and much of the mountain is rock. As a result, you get broad panoramic views for much of the hike. The peak gives you 360 degrees of valley and ridge views. This is well worth putting at the top of your list for a trip to the Whites.

3  Thank LikeItsMyJob