“Great little loop”

Reviewed 30 August 2018

Planned this as a morning trail "run" (we like to trail run) based on 'moderate' labeling. Made it most of the way up, walked the final bare rock sections. Exposed "treeline" views pre-summit make the steep spots worth it and provide some much-needed motivation. Summit views were lovely given the lack of elevation. Set off at 6:30 am and only saw two others. Great way to spend a morning, would definitely suggest for beginner/intermediate hikers as it's certainly manageable with enough time and determination.

All reviews
"waterville valley"
"an amazing experience"
"tree line"

Reviewed 28 August 2018

This is definitely one of my favorite hikes I've ever done. It isn't too challenging but the views are SO amazing. It's a long loop which I always prefer to "there-and-backs" and you get a stunning new view so many times during this hike. There's some moments where you are basically walking up straight rocks so if that scares you, be warned. It often looks much scarier than it actually is and we didn't have any trouble during the hike. It is a well-marked hike and it would be very difficult to get lost, to be honest, which is a great plus. There were several other groups there when we went, so it is an easy-to-spot hike spot. I totally recommend it if you are in the area. Bring snacks and sunscreen - there aren't any shops in the immediate area and there's quite little tree cover at some times during the hike.

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

This loop gets overshadowed by some of its taller and more famous neighbors in the Whites, but after finally giving this one a shot, my wife and I now count it among our favorites! It’s a steep ascent, and much of the mountain is rock. As a result, you get broad panoramic views for much of the hike. The peak gives you 360 degrees of valley and ridge views. This is well worth putting at the top of your list for a trip to the Whites.

3  Thank LikeItsMyJob
Reviewed 28 July 2018

This hike is labeled "moderate", but was a bit more challenging than I expected! Climbing up the rocks can be steep at times, but it's fine if you take your time. I would probably avoid this trail if it's rained recently, as I imagine the rocks can be very slippery when wet. I was fine without hiking poles (just hiking boots), but I imagine they would be helpful on the knees for the descent. The views from the top are stunning. We probably spent 2-3 hours on this mountain (and stopped for snacks/lunch) as well, but we were going at a pretty fast pace. The trail is clearly marked, just follow the yellow paint.

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 November 2017

This was a very challenging hike for us but it was totally worth it!! My husband and I were recommended this hike by local friends to get fabulous views and they did not disappoint. We are flatlanders so the elevation climb was tough, however if you take your time its okay. Definitely need to wear good hiking boots so you can grip the rock, and watch closely for yellow blazes painted to mark the trail or cairns (rock towers) to be sure to stay on the trail. The climbing wasn't too bad but definitely strenuous. Our poles were lifesavers, especially on the way back down. Beautiful fall colors just beginning and we caught the end of day sun which made the view glowing and gorgeous. Took us a solid 4 hours and we are in our upper 50's, this is with maybe total 20 minutes of resting stops. Be prepared to pay the park fee $3. Beauty of New Hampshire!!

3  Thank Monica G