“Uncommonly good views”

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

This loop gets overshadowed by some of its taller and more famous neighbors in the Whites, but after finally giving this one a shot, my wife and I now count it among our favorites! It’s a steep ascent, and much of the mountain is rock. As a result, you get broad panoramic views for much of the hike. The peak gives you 360 degrees of valley and ridge views. This is well worth putting at the top of your list for a trip to the Whites.

Date of experience: August 2018
"waterville valley"
"rock climbing"
"an amazing experience"

Reviewed 28 July 2018

This hike is labeled "moderate", but was a bit more challenging than I expected! Climbing up the rocks can be steep at times, but it's fine if you take your time. I would probably avoid this trail if it's rained recently, as I imagine the rocks can be very slippery when wet. I was fine without hiking poles (just hiking boots), but I imagine they would be helpful on the knees for the descent. The views from the top are stunning. We probably spent 2-3 hours on this mountain (and stopped for snacks/lunch) as well, but we were going at a pretty fast pace. The trail is clearly marked, just follow the yellow paint.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 4 November 2017

This was a very challenging hike for us but it was totally worth it!! My husband and I were recommended this hike by local friends to get fabulous views and they did not disappoint. We are flatlanders so the elevation climb was tough, however if you take your time its okay. Definitely need to wear good hiking boots so you can grip the rock, and watch closely for yellow blazes painted to mark the trail or cairns (rock towers) to be sure to stay on the trail. The climbing wasn't too bad but definitely strenuous. Our poles were lifesavers, especially on the way back down. Beautiful fall colors just beginning and we caught the end of day sun which made the view glowing and gorgeous. Took us a solid 4 hours and we are in our upper 50's, this is with maybe total 20 minutes of resting stops. Be prepared to pay the park fee $3. Beauty of New Hampshire!!

3  Thank Monica G
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

This was amazing! It was more challenging than expected but worth it. The views are absolutely stunning. There are some ledges and a lot of scrambling. I highly recommend this hike.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 October 2017

A wonderful hike with a little of everything - stunning views. We were lucky to have a magnificent fall day with lots of color. There are some ledges, some easy scrambling and lots of beautiful forest; good hiking boots are recommended and could be low or over the ankle. It was such a beautiful day we took our time and stopped to admire the stunning views -- which there are many. We had lunch on the Welch summit and looked over at Dickey. Definitely recommend.