Review Highlights
Great but challenging hike

The hike offers some amazing views, but if, like in our case, it has rained the previous days... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
shatiel
Belfast, United Kingdom
Amazing Views easy to Moderate hike

I went up with a girl that was recovering from surgery. While she thought it was arduous I equated... read more

Reviewed 13 October 2018
johnm01453
Fitchburg, Massachusetts

All reviews great hike hiking boots challenging hike incredible views rock scrambling white mountains quick hike parking lot in season elevation gain parking fee well worth the effort all ages afraid of heights waterville valley an amazing experience tree line
Reviewed 28 July 2018

This hike is labeled "moderate", but was a bit more challenging than I expected! Climbing up the rocks can be steep at times, but it's fine if you take your time. I would probably avoid this trail if it's rained recently, as I imagine the rocks can be very slippery when wet. I was fine without hiking poles (just hiking boots), but I imagine they would be helpful on the knees for the descent. The views from the top are stunning. We probably spent 2-3 hours on this mountain (and stopped for snacks/lunch) as well, but we were going at a pretty fast pace. The trail is clearly marked, just follow the yellow paint.

Reviewed 4 November 2017

This was a very challenging hike for us but it was totally worth it!! My husband and I were recommended this hike by local friends to get fabulous views and they did not disappoint. We are flatlanders so the elevation climb was tough, however if you take your time its okay. Definitely need to wear good hiking boots so you can grip the rock, and watch closely for yellow blazes painted to mark the trail or cairns (rock towers) to be sure to stay on the trail. The climbing wasn't too bad but definitely strenuous. Our poles were lifesavers, especially on the way back down. Beautiful fall colors just beginning and we caught the end of day sun which made the view glowing and gorgeous. Took us a solid 4 hours and we are in our upper 50's, this is with maybe total 20 minutes of resting stops. Be prepared to pay the park fee $3. Beauty of New Hampshire!!

3  Thank Monica G
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

This was amazing! It was more challenging than expected but worth it. The views are absolutely stunning. There are some ledges and a lot of scrambling. I highly recommend this hike.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

A wonderful hike with a little of everything - stunning views. We were lucky to have a magnificent fall day with lots of color. There are some ledges, some easy scrambling and lots of beautiful forest; good hiking boots are recommended and could be low or over the ankle. It was such a beautiful day we took our time and stopped to admire the stunning views -- which there are many. We had lunch on the Welch summit and looked over at Dickey. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

A favorite for many who have visited this wonderful loop which ascends about 1800 feet to the summits of Welch and Dickey. These mountains which are low by NH standards stand above their higher forested neighbors because an intense forest fire many years ago consumed the vegetation, roots, and soil down to bare rock. What is left is an amazing experience of rock-climbing and hiking above the trees. Best done in autumn.