“What a FANTASTIC experience!”

The Local Food Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 6 Food & Drink in Matakana
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Local Food Kitchen is the perfect place for people to come in to our kitchen, taste and learn about the best of our local food products, have fun, enjoy new food experiences, maybe have a food tour and learn more about food and cooking. The Matakana Coast region is only 45 mins from Auckland and is one of the most wonderful food and wine destinations in NZ. We offer a variety of food experiences from 1 hour to 6 hours, for singles and for groups, for New Zealand and International visitors. If you love good food, want to know more about our local food, perhaps want to cook or dine with Chef, then the Local food Kitchen is for you.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 11 February 2016

Every February, I accompany my Japanese study abroad students to Auckland where they partcipate in a variety of activites. This was our first time to to visit The Gourmet Within and will most definitely not be the last! They participated in a 3-hour cooking experience with Chef Mark Griffiths taylored to our request to experience Kiwi cuisine. Mark prepared a 2-course meal consisting of lamb, local veggies, and the iconic pavlova. All the ingredients were fresh and bought at the local Saturday market right down to the herbs! The kitchen was immaculate and the dining area was elegantly modern.

Needless to say, the meal was outstanding, but what really made this experience special, was Mark's attention to detail in the meal and most importantly his friendly energetic approach to interacting with my students (non-native English speakers) who were smiling and laughing throughout the experience. It is an experience they will not soon forget and one I hope my students will be able to experience for years to come!

Date of experience: February 2016
Carmel D, Owner at The Local Food Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2016

Hi Kent
I hope you and your students are enjoying your stay in New Zealand and are having lots of wonderful experiences. Kent I would just like to say thank you for taking the the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor and writing that marvelous review. Much appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your trip and I hope to see you again next year.
Travel well.

"session"
"learning"
"market"

Reviewed 16 November 2015

I took part in a well organised four hour Italian cooking class which was well worth the two hour drive to get there and was great value for money. Although I arrived feeling anxious, I soon felt comfortable under the guidance of such a professional chef. All questions were answered at length and dealt with with patience. I also picked up alot of tips along the way.
Matakana is a lovely town with alot of quality attractions, a great place to spend a weekend.
I can't wait to return!

Date of experience: November 2015
Carmel D, Owner at The Local Food Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2015

Thank you Rhonda for taking the time to write such a great review! It was great to get you in to the kitchen and have you join in the class. Glad you think the 2 hour drive and all that angsting was worth it! Now you know the kitchen and the way we operate, next time will be even more fun !! Good on you for getting out your comfort zone and doing something different. You did a great job and I enjoyed guiding you further on your culinary journey:-) Until next time - Chef Mark

Reviewed 4 October 2015

We spent four hours together enjoying a fun, educative experience making several Asian dishes and learning all sorts of tips and tricks about preserving, preparing and cooking. Finishing off with eating the delicious meals we made was a pleasure! The whole afternoon was great value for money...certainly something we intend on repeating in the future with friends!!

Date of experience: September 2015
Reviewed 10 September 2015

For my friends’ birthday we booked a 4-hour cooking workshop at The Gourmet Within in Matakana. The place was spot-clean when we arrived and as Professional Organiser I could not help but notice the well organised, containerised and labeled pantry. Chef Mark Griffiths was well prepared. He patiently guided us through the preparation of a 5-course Asian dinner. He ran the course very smoothly and there was more than enough time for asking questions. I am a horrible chef but even I managed to prepare and cook a delicious meal that we enjoyed in a private room afterwards. It is absolutely value for money and I can highly recommend this unforgettable experience.

Date of experience: August 2015