All reviews honest food proper pub the ritz landlady dorset accommodation
Reviewed 1 September 2018

Booked a couple of nights to make it easy to visit The Great Dorset Steam Fair. Was slightly concerned to read a damning one-star review shortly before going, and if that is still to be seen, would like to add a slightly different view. I was late in leaving home/office, and having pre-warned the owner that I would be around 2130hrs in arriving, actually just made it for 2300hrs thanks to issues with the M27. The owner and wife were the only people in the place, but were welcoming, drew me a pint (£4 lager, reasonable price) and shared, with no charge, some cheese and biscuits with me, having asked when I had called earlier whether they could do some sandwiches to have on arrival - which I had perhaps unwisely declined. The cooked breakfast was standard issue stuff. The odd feature of the place to me, was that whilst peripherally clean - sheets towels sanitary wear etc. all fine, there were aspects of the place that definitely needed a deep clean. The stair carpet was noticeably dark and grubby to the centre and complete with dog-hairs, and whilst those did not reach my bedroom, the carpet therein was ageing and stained, and the iron bedstead plus mattress combination not the most welcoming I've ever used, if not as bad as reported elsewhere. The light fitting rose cover was missing, and whilst you are hardly likely to stick your fingers onto bare wires at eight foot of the ground, this is indicative of a relaxed approach to maintenance. So this is a difficult one.... five stars for welcoming and helpfulness, one for the environment. That said, my last two hotel or B&B visits were £150/night, and £76/night, and whilst the former was certainly more luxurious, and the latter offered a wide-ranging breakfast menu of excellence as well as a little more comfort, when asleep I could not tell the difference! So if you can look past the faded nature of the place, book happily and cheaply, with nice people!

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed 28 August 2018

Stopped in for an impromptu bite to eat in the middle of a rather long countryside walk. Looked very nice from the outside and the menu sounded good so gave it a go. Very nice welcome from the girl behind the bar who took our order and sorted out our drinks. We opted to sit outside since the sun was out and found the outdoor area very clean and tidy and a nice little sun trap.

I had the bacon and cheese burger and my partner had the ham, egg and chips and we were both very impressed. Chips were the best we've had and the ham was clearly hand carved and a very generous portion. Very good value for money, great quality and excellent service. Will definitely be back!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2018

We booked this for a 4 day stay at the beginning of 2018 all ready to visit the area and travel around Cranborne Chase, and include 2 days at the Dorset Steam Fair celebrating its 50 years. Fiona and the team were very friendly and obliging on our arrival and during our stay. Unfortunately the bulb in our room went but when we returned at the end of the next day this had been changed. The sheets and towels were clean, and the room provided all we needed for our stay. We had debated on bringing our own dog, but decided to leave him at home with our daughter, but had the pleasure of the company of their dog. We had two main evening meals which were very good value and tasty - the other evenings were spent at the Fair. The draw back for us was on the Thursday when we spent several hours queuing on the A354 despite only being a few miles away. To counteract this on the Friday we decided to leave at 7.00am so cancelled our breakfast. Fiona and her team provided us with a very tasty breakfast baguette, freshly made, which we ate when we parked at 7.20am! We had a very enjoyable and full day at the show.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2018

Really nice old fashioned country pub great selection of ales food menu and food looks very good but not tasted
Very friendly service and no phone signal too some a disaster to some a peaceful time a real treasure

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2018

As we were staying in Cranborne we stumbled across this little gem. Fabulous menu with daily specials all tasty and hot, really delicious. Fiona and her team do their best to make you feel welcome, has some great food here!

Stayed: August 2017