Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from US$109.00
from US$99.00
from US$68.00
More Info
All reviews shore excursion booked this tour royal caribbean puerto rico the river would highly recommend this tour granola bars el yunque great hike backpack dan guide rainforest trail flora facts
Reviewed 21 February 2016

Michael was an amazing tour guide! I came to the twilight nature tour with a group of four adults with special needs and he was one of the most patient, and adaptable tour guide we could have asked for. Everyone was engaged no matter the ability level, and we all got to learn and see some amazing things in the forest! We all absolutely loved to see a side of the forest very few got to see! It was an absolutely amazing experience I'd recommend to everyone!

Date of experience: February 2016
Reviewed 7 January 2016

We booked this trip as an excursion from our cruise ship (we had a onboard credit we needed to use up). We decided since we had been to PR several times, that we wanted to do something different on this trip and had always heard about the rainforest being a good option. Our first choice for this tour was supposedly at capacity so we choose to do the same tour, just a little longer and provided a backpack, water and snack for an additional $30.00. Our ship arrived about 1 pm to PR and we we given priority departure since we had booked the tour through the ship. When we arrived on the pier to find our group we were surprised to learn it was such a small group, even the guides mentioned that the tour normally had approximately 40 people normally. Our tour only had 10 so we had lots of attention from the guides. The hike was fairly easy with many stops. Once we reached the waterfall we had sufficient time to take photos and what not. The guides mentioned that the waterfall stop was uncrowded and that was unusual, but more to our benefit. The trip back to the vehicle was well paced with minimal stops. We understood that we were loosing daylight and that the park would be closing, but we did not ever feel rushed. We saw several creatures in the rainforest and even saw a rainforest scorpion which according to the guide was rare, since he had only seen 3 (well now 4) in his 15 years of doing the tour. We were a little surprised with the lack of birds in the rainforest, we could hear them along with the frogs, but we never saw a lot of birds. We had two brief rainshowers while on the tour and the company had provided umbrella in the backpack for us as well. Honestly, the umbrella seemed to be more of a hindrance than helpful, most of the rain was not reaching ground level it was stopped by the canopy of trees, so it was just mainly droplets falling. I guess you have to understand that you are in a rainforest and should expect rain. The guides were friendly and very attentive, not sure if this is because we were a small group or not, but they seemed to generally hope we were having a great adventure. They were very informative about the rainforest and even allowed us to eat some rainforest termite creatures. I did partake in this, and it didn't kill me so I assume it is safe (at least in moderation, LOL). Overall, we would recommend the tour. Our only negative critic (assuming the tour company itself has little control over this) is that the price on the ship seemed a little steep for the tour. Honestly, I would say that if we did not have the onboard shore excursion credit from the ship we would probably not have booked this tour solely on the listing price. I would assume like most excursions while cruising, you can get a better deal working directly with the tour companies, so maybe this would be a better option for someone that may be only visiting PR for a few hours while cruising.

Reviewed 7 January 2016

Initially we had called to book the night time kayak tour along the bay. However, it was booked out for the dates we were there and the woman answering the phone warned us that we probably wouldn't see a lot of phosphorescence and instead recommended this tour which they had just started. The tour group was extremely easy to work with even when we had to make a last minute change as no rental cars were available and sent excellent directions that were easy to follow from the hotel. They provided snacks, natural mosquito repellent, towels, and backpacks for the short hike as well as red lights to help see the trail in the evening. The tour guide, Mike, was extremely knowledgeable, and kept up a friendly banter the entire time. Listening to the forest transition from day to night was a really neat experience, as was looking at the biophosphorescence on the leaves and logs. Mike has a lot of really neat ideas for enhancing the experience of the tour such as an amplifier and laser pointer which I think will help. The tour is still getting the kinks worked out but I think in a year it will be even more popular than the kayak tours, particularly with such knowledgeable and helpful guides. In the mean time, there are still some minor flaws to work out. The hike down to the pool is nice but ultimately only 15 minutes and extremely easy (but you stop a lot to look at stuff) and you're pretty much limited to trees and flora with a few insects thrown in. No "eyes" as one of the members of the group remarked. However, I think I would have preferred to walk a little farther during daylight hours and then turn around and come back leaving the last bit of the trail for evening. The swimming hole is nice but if there are other trails with more to see during the daytime this could be a good option. Additionally, I also suggest that this tour be limited to ages 16 and older as who is on the group makes a difference and talkative or neglectful individuals can be disruptive to the entire group's experience.

Date of experience: January 2016
Reviewed 6 January 2016 via mobile

This is the best nature walk I've ever been on. My guide was Michael. He is very into what he does and it makes going on his trip much more intriguing. His knowledge of the Rainforest is very high, according to him, he goes out all the time to study the things that go on. My trip was more at night than in the day and much more life is active at night than in the day. At the end of the trail there is the only river in all of Puerto Rico that hasn't been tapped into by people. We saw a tarantula that was ENORMOUS, so big in fact that Michael was concerned about why it was at that elevation and had to tell his official people about it. The absolute best part was something that at first was a disaster. I left my phone in a backpack they gave us to use and I was concerned that I was never going to get it back. I called Michael and told him what happened and he said "I'll be there in an hour" and hung up. An hour later, there he was right at the ship port where I was going to my cruise ship. He wouldn't even accept a tip. What a guy. The rest of my cruise I was thinking of that guy and the lifesaver he is. And Michael, if your reading this, thanks again. Highly highly highly recommend this trip.

Reviewed 31 December 2015 via mobile

This was an absolute highlight of our visit to Puerto Rico. Mike is a fantastic host and guide. His knowledge is huge, his obvious love and passion for Puerto Rico and its natural splendour is even greater. The forest came alive as night fell, the range of sounds we heard, and diversity of animals we saw was incredible. We saw a hummingbird, a scissor tailed bird that preys on small lizards, the lizards themselves, bats, a tarantula, glowing beatles and of course Puerto Rico's crown jewel; the coqui frog. Many, many coquis! We also saw bioluminescent fungi. Puerto Rico is the most bioluminescent place on earth. Its forests were surely an inspiration for Avatar.

This tour is just fantastic and very suitable for young children with an interest in the natural world. Mike was great with our three kids.

The tour was billed to last 2 hours, but we spent about 2.5 hours in the forest. Testament to Mike not rushing his guests, and taking the required time to share his knowledge and answer all questions.

If you want to see an aspect of Puerto Rico that many tourists will sadly miss, book yourself on this marvellous experience.

1  Thank John F