“Pretty average.”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 7 September 2021

We have been flying with United for a while. The airline is pretty average. We were flying back home after an amazing vacation. Check-in at the airport was a mess. Flight was delayed by a few minutes. We then boarded our flight to Newark. The seats were average. The cushioning on my son's seat's armrest was taped on. The IFE needs to be updated. We were served a few snacks. The flight was pretty uneventful. In summary, United is an average airline.

• Check-in and boarding
Write a reviewReviews (51,466)

Reviewed 5 September 2021

I recently flew the friendly skies of United from Newark to Paris, onboard the airline’s flagship 787-10. I had always dreamed of flying on this specific aircraft type, but I didn’t think I’d have the pleasure of doing so on my very first transatlantic flight! My ride was spectacular, and it showcases everything amazing that United has to offer.

At first, I was worried I wouldn’t actually make my flight. The flight I took to get into EWR arrived a little late, and as I was traveling with an electric wheelchair, it took longer than expected for that to unite with me. Once I got my chair (which I had to get pre-security), I needed to quickly check in with United, verify my documents, pass security again, and get to my gate.

The check-in process was challenging. I won’t blame the United representative who steadfastly believed I wasn’t allowed entry to Paris as a transit passenger, and got visibly annoyed about my late arrival and my confidence in the legality of entering Paris on a layover. I won’t make that a negative, because I myself was equally as annoyed with her as well. Travel tensions can get high, and I understood that her job required working with some pretty difficult customers, so no problem. Once I proved I could legally board the flight, I ran through security (not literally, of course), and I made it just in time for the flight.

Even though the woman at check-in was surly, all the other United employees were fabulous. The gate agent gave me an upgrade to premium economy (!!), the flight attendants were friendly and laid-back, and the service folks at both airports were professional. That’s real United service there!

The Dreamliner I flew on was unbelievably awesome. It was new, fresh, modern, comfy, quiet, and spacious. It also helped that only around 50 people were onboard, when full capacity allows for nearly 300. It seemed like the entire premium economy cabin was empty except for me! That made it easy for the FAs to serve an unrushed (delicious) meal service and provide the utmost care and attention to every passenger.

Legroom was super generous, even for tall, grown adults. IFE was state-of-the-art, and the responsiveness to the touchscreen was impressive. Lavatories were clean and spacious, as was the plane as a whole. The views out the iconic 787 windows didn’t let me down, even as the panes were locked on their dim setting at night. My favorite aircraft to watch the control surfaces move is undoubtedly the 787, and on approach into CDG, the ailerons, flaperons, flaps/slats, and spoilers put on a great show. Any avgeek’s dream is to fly on modern marvels like the 787.

Flights were on-time, and the process of retrieving my wheelchair at CDG was very simple. I speak proficient French, but if I didn’t, United employees at the airport spoke great English too. And I really didn’t want to disembark the plane!

Thanks, United, for an outstanding flagship 787-10 experience! This is by far their best plane. Looking forward to flying United again!

Date of travel: May 2021
1  Thank bornthatway_traveler
Reviewed 5 September 2021

This was my very 1st flight, my best friend and I booked at the same time. We had seats 5 c and d. There were 2 dudes parked there and refused to move. No one would help us. No one would move those a$$holes. So I sat next to.some woman who was pissed off cause I made someone move so I had a seat. My best friend had to sit next to a heavy dude who hogged the seats and should have needed to purchase 2 cause my friend had no room. The more I think about this the more angry I get. This experience was ruined because of 2 entitled white boys who thought they were better and laughed at it. What united needs to do is deal with them. It was 2:10pm wichita to ohare on Aug 17 2021.

1  Thank JamesH8373
Reviewed 5 September 2021

We normally fly Business or First Class whenever we travel abroad. We usually choose an Internationally based airline when we do. This was the first time since the pandemic that we had an opportunity to travel to Europe and chose an American based airline, in this case United’s new Polaris Business Class. In hindsight Virgin Atlantic would have been a MUCH BETTER CHOICE! There are not enough words to say how poor the Polaris Service experience was for us. We gave ourselves enough time to be able to spend some time at the Polaris Lounge at EWR, only to find it closed due to “Lack of Passengers” we were instead directed to a cafeteria like setting where ALL the staff was rude. That behavior did not stop there. The flight attendants on Polaris Business Class were just as rude if not more. @United Airlines, may I suggest a course on basic manners to all your flight attendant staff? We were treated like cattle, flight attendants were CRASS. I felt the need to point this out to them only to be confronted with an argumentative staff. We payed thousands of dollars for our flights and felt we deserved at least the basic form of courtesy, professionalism, attention and respect. None was given. We adhere to all Covid protocols, yet without any reason whatsoever I was yelled to “Put your mask on” No please, no thank yous, no attention to the passenger’s basic needs, no care whatsoever. That was the outbound flight to Dubrovnik. Inbound was far worse. The Service was HORRENDOUS. Defensive flight attendants in the Polaris section of the plane. Yelling at passengers over the intercom in a threatening manner so bad that would I had been the Captain, I would have had a serious conversation with them. I informed the crew I am diabetic and will probably need something to tie me over until the next meal. Their answer? “Why didn’t you bring anything with you?” Mid-flight I went to the Crew’s section only to be confronted with a “What do you want?” “We don’t have anything for you” I had to bring the trash to the crew as they did not bother to pick it up on both flights.
We finally landed and we thought this horrible experience was finally behind us. Boy, were we wrong! The crew “released” the passengers through the Domestic gate instead of the International gate. We were all stopped and corralled back to the gate where we were literally trapped in a hot and crowded area for “roll call” Social Distancing was impossible the area was so small. This went on for at least an hour and we were finally “allowed” to go through Customs. I was severely dehydrated at this point and no water nor bathroom services were offered. Let alone an apology. We finally reach Baggage Claim and found our expensive luggage had been so poorly handled that I have to send two pieces for repair. Not once did we hear an apology. NOT ONCE! NEVER AGAIN will we fly United. NEVER AGAIN. Zero value for the thousands of dollars we payed for the flights. ZERO

1  Thank Carlos B
Reviewed 4 September 2021

My biggest issue was comfort. I am 5'8" and the leg room was horrible. Not only limited leg room but there was this plastic piece on the back of the seat which jabbed into my knee. I don't have long legs but it was difficult getting them under the seat and when I did they hit against objects which caused pain. On a five hour, five hundred dollar flight I expect more than a bag of pretzels and no seat back screens for entertainment. It was unreal to be so uncomfortable with no entertainment. I'll never, under any circumstances fly United again.

Date of travel: September 2021
    • Check-in and boarding
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.