“Problems but worked out ok”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 15 August 2019

Due to a thunderstorm the runways were flooded in St. Louis and we sat on the the tarmac for a very long time. Missed our connecting flight. Tried to talk to agents who were basically clueless, but fortunately we got a text on our phone that said we had been booked on a flight to Denver and that got us into Kalispell about 6 hours later than originally promised. These things happen in bad weather. Thank goodness for the automated re-booking because the actual agents in Chicago, didn't even know where Montana was.

Date of travel: July 2019
1  Thank Maggie K

Reviewed 15 August 2019

I usually don’t bother reviewing airlines, because most generally don’t care what any of us think or experience. However, for a mainstream carrier, United takes bad to a new level. We all know basic economy isn’t the best on any airline. But for a good ticket fare on a short flight, I’m willing to accept the middle seat and to pack light enough for everything to fit in a personal item. Everyone wins. That’s reasonable...but it’s really the other indignities that reveal just how little United thinks of you. From refusing to let you check-in early unless you are checking a bag, to “inspecting” your small personal item to ensure it fits under the seat in front of you, to refusing to put you on an earlier flight (except for an exorbitant fee) even when there are empty seats, you’re at the airport already with no checked luggage, and it opens up a seat on a later flight for some other paying customer. Everything with United’s particular basic economy fare seems designed to humiliate you, unlike the more reasonable basic economy policies on other carriers. This has happened to me on multiple occasions, and it’s always been a terrible experience - never again. Avoid United unless you are literally desperate.

2  Thank Garrett H
Reviewed 15 August 2019

Hard to believe but in my opinion, United is still learning how to treat people. They offered a 'no-frills' economy fare and I took it. Immediately, their system started to point out in loud voices that I was not going to get this or that due to the fare I selected. I did everything but give blood to prove I understood the lack of amenities associated with the base economy fare but they kept on badgering me about after the ticket was purchased. I received way too many emails reminding me that for X dollars I could get more service. I didn't need it! At the airports for two flights, the humans at United seemed to relish telling me I was restricted regarding seats and baggage storage. I had a conforming under-seat carry-on with me. Two times I was questioned if I knew it MUST fit under the seat. I started to think I had a sign over my head saying ''cheapo passenger!

I have flown Spirit, American, and Delta on their basic economy fares and NEVER got the feeling I was less of a customer the way I felt at United. Even though they got $50 less of my money I did pay for the ticket and should be treated like every other passenger no matter what my fare code. Shame on UAL.

2  Thank Cerph
Reviewed 15 August 2019

This particular flight had a very bad crew onboard! Never assisted my sister out of her wheelchair when boarding the plane and never offered to help her in any way what so ever! In fact, they ignored her altogether! For reasons still unknown, we were escorted off the plane and forced to take another flight the following day! What happened on-board was very upsetting and I try to avoid this airline altogether!

Date of travel: September 2018
1  Thank maporretta
Reviewed 15 August 2019

We were in the back row which has seats that don't recline. There is very little leg or arm room. We were also next to two bathrooms. The lines of people waiting for the Johns, and the sounds of flushing grew tiresome. It was a long five hours. It seems like a "tired airline". The best part was the pretzels and juice.

2  Thank flyer303_12
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.