“Flight diversion handled very poorly”
Review of TUI Airways (United Kingdom)

Reviewed 3 May 2018

Our flight from Lanzarotte to Bournemouth was diverted to Birmingham due to snow at Bournemouth. We all understand that weather is unpredictable, although there must be questions about whether the flight should ever have set off when most of the UK was affected by an amber snow warning. The real problem however was the woefully inadequate service once we had landed. Despite being diverted to an airport where Tui have a base and an appointed ground handling agent, we may as well have been at a military airfield with no customer facilities. Having landed at 22:35, we were then left in the baggage reclaim area for 2.5 hours with no seating, nor refreshments and virtually no information (“your bags are delayed due to operational difficulties”!). My case finally arrived on the belt at 01:10 – how can such a delay possibly be acceptable in a major airport?
Then outside, we were confronted with assorted hi-vis folk sending us in a host of different directions to various “onward transport options” with absolutely no coordination whatsoever. Why hadn’t the wasted 2.5 hours been used making a few plans for heaven’s sake? We got on a coach which finally arrived at Bournemouth airport at 04:40 on Monday – nearly 25 hours after I had arrived at Lanzarote airport. I finally got home at around 05:30 having had no choice but to drive home whilst very tired. At no point had I been offered any refreshments - not even water.
When I complained to Tui, they did nothing for the statutory 30 days – and then contacted my wife as the ‘lead traveller’ to advise her that they had received a complaint from one of her party but would not be responding as it hadn’t come from her! So, because the booking wasn’t in my name, my concerns are of no interest to them. Very poor!

3  Thank CaseyinDorset
Write a ReviewReviews (10,106)

Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Flew for the second time in as many months to the Dominican Republic with TUI.

Good on time performance on this occasion with relatively clean aircraft that could’ve seen a bit more attention such as wiping tray tables.
Very good flight with meals and drinks.

Great service from the crew on the way out, being London Based.
Birmingham crew on the return leg on this occasion, who were equally as friendly.
A much better experience in comparison to my return flight the month before, where the Manchester crew were unfriendly.

Got assigned seats in a set of 3, as 3 of us were flying together.
After witnessing what appeared to be an episode of Jeremy Kyle at check in, where a family had booked separately in a large group, and were complaining that they couldn’t sit together - I can only recommend large groups all booking together on one booking; to avoid such a situation occurring for yourself. This family spent the best part of an hour and a half arguing and swearing over wanting to sit with eachother on the flight. I can only assume that I wanted to sit nowhere near them myself, with some of the la gauge coming out of their mouths; and the several screaming children all misbehaving.

Would fly again, as great flight times offered.

2  Thank Matt G
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Flew from Gatwick to Punta Cana on a 2 week holiday.
The flight was delayed, due to a medical emergency in the inbound flight. Such things can’t be helped - so I stayed in the Airport lounge for an additional few hours enjoying the free food and drinks!

Flew on their newest fleet additional a 787-9 Dreamliner G-TUIK, which at he time was only about 2-3 months old.
The aircraft are of great advance, with not bad legroom, although it does feel smaller than previous years, going back a long time; when legroom wasn’t of such a premium. Seems they’re trying to pack even more people on!

The 2x food services were fantastic, with highly enjoyable food - a great change from the old tasteless airline foods, with free drinks, and tea and coffee offered regularly.

A good ratio of toilet to seats, which did help to avoid queues as people spent the last hour and a half of the flight making trips to the toilet to change and freshen up prior to our arrival - although again, these do seem a lot smaller.

Entertainment had a great choice, although I haven’t worked out why they offer the USB charging points for your phone, when they don’t work?

The only criticism for the airline was that for heir newest plane, I was shocked at how dirty it was.
Seats were spiked with peoples dinner from previous flights, drinks spilt on the tray tables, and evidence of spills up the side of the plane.
Not sure of this was a rushed turn around for our flight due to the delay, or whether cleaning just very thorough anymore.
I don’t think the turnaround was rushed, as we were still delayed over 2 hours, and the plane had landed within that time.

Friendly crew as always out of Gatwick, although our return flight to Gatwick had a crew from Manchester, who were a complete bipolar opposite, it was like the crew had split personality disorder which kicked in both of Birmingham. Blunt, unfriendly, didn’t smile or make you feel welcome.

Some things which would be great to see an improvement on - some crew members attitudes, and cleaning of the planes, and I know TUI only offer 20kg luggage, but competitors offer 23kg, so would be great to see them be more competitive on that playing field; but otherwise great flight, and would fly again.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

Sadly the service on this flight was not up to the normal high standards we expect from this airline. We were left with rubbish from meals, drinks etc. for ages and on one occasion my wife asked for a drink only told she would have to wait as the staff were all having a break.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

The TUI staff on the ground and on the plane were excellent. There was a slight delay due to poor non TUI staffing at the departure gate. They were very helpful, interactive and friendly.