“No major problems”
Review of TAP Portugal

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Flew TAP from London to Lisbon and then to Paris in their Executive Class (Business Class).
Seats were basically same as economy with middle seat free. Leg room etc identical to economy. There was no IFE provided or nothing that the flight attendant told us about. Food was inconsistent for the duration of journey; our leg from London to Lisbon, we had a couple of slices of cheese and 2 pieces of chicken however our leg to Paris, the servings were more generous.
The flight attendants were pleasant enough. They don't do much apart from the meal service spending most of the time in the galley.
Flights pushed back on both occasions right on schedule. Check in procedure was pretty efficient and the lounge in Lisbon was comfortable enough.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (13,145)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I'm not even sure how TAP is operating. I feel like I spent the better part of a two week period being gaslighted by the people at TAP. I caution anyone that is looking into booking with them.

We booked flights on TAP for our family of 4 leaving Boston and heading to Prague. Prices were really good so we decided to give it a shot. We had so many issues with the booking process and customer service alone that we canceled our flights and went with Lufthansa (thank you business saver awards via United and Aeroplan!). Between waiting forever on hold (average on hold time over a 10 call period in 2 weeks was about 37 minutes per call) the impossible and terribly designed website, the conflicting information provided by a variety of customer service representatives, and the total lack of customer service, we couldn't trust them to get us from Boston to Prague without issues. I really wish we did some more thorough research on this airline before booking with them.

We went to TAP's USA site to book our tickets and somehow at the end of our booking the site booked our tickets in Euros. We called to resolve the issue within the 24 hour period and we were told they couldn't do anything we'd have to accept only a voucher for our tickets because we booked our tickets in Euros. When we mentioned this was indeed the technical issue we were calling about the refused to refund our money. I told them I was logged on to the USA site looking at our booking info our profile that we created for their site was all on the USA page and all of our info was set for the US they said we could file a complaint with their tech department but they couldn't do anything else. We asked them why on earth would people in the USA be booking tickets in Euros. They said they had a lot of customers doing that (what?!). During that one phone call we were put on hold several times, switched to different reps, and the entire phone call was over an hour and 40 minutes long. We decided to sit on the tickets for a couple days before making any other moves and ended the call.

I called TAP several other times to find out about canceling the flights and each time I called I got a different answer. I took a couple more days off out of pure exhaustion from dealing with the long waiting periods and the conflicting information. I called TAP 4 days later because we decided we'd need to cancel our tickets anyways because the connecting flight in Portugal wouldn't allow us enough time to go through customs and we'd most likely miss our connecting flight. After all of this there is no way I was trusting them to get us on another flight if we missed our original connecting flight. It turns out we were told we could get our money refunded, not just a voucher as told before, but we'd have to pay a $145 fee and it could take 20-30 days. When we called back again to finally cancel once we found our new flights, the customer service rep had no idea what the cancelation fee would be. Scary.

If you want to cancel your tickets good luck. They make that process nearly impossible. In order to cancel the reservation online the USA site redirects you to the Portugal site and everything is in Portuguese! I mentioned this issue and they said that I would have to talk to a different department about the website issue. They charge an additional $30 fee if you want to cancel your tickets over the phone. Very convenient for them.

I was also told when I canceled the first part of our booking that they couldn't email me a confirmation of my cancelation. Yet that very night I received an email from them, in Portuguese of course, stating my cancelation had been submitted.

When I canceled the final part of our booking after finding our return flights (another business saver award for 57,000 points/miles and $280 per ticket to fly business class on Lufthansa!) the rep was very nice, but when I mentioned the issue of not being able to cancel my reservation/flight online because the USA site redirects you to the Portugal site, he didn't say a thing. No apology, didn't even suggest that I mention the issue to their tech support, just took my $30 and said he could cancel the flight. He also asked to confirm my email so he could have the cancelation confirmation sent to me.

TAP get your act together! You are scaring people away with your terrible website, awful customer service, and overall disfunction. And we didn't even fly with you! That was just our experience over the phone and with your website. I am not confident that I'll get my money back and I'm sure I'll have to file a charge back with my credit card company to get the little bit of money they owe me after squeezing me dry with their ridiculous cancelation fees.

To all of the travelers out there looking to TAP for cheap flights to places other than Portugal, do yourself a favor. Get an couple credit cards that allow you to earn points and do your research and figure out what airlines use code sharing before assuming the best price online is really the best price. It took me about 4 days of research, but I was able to find 4 business saver seats using minimal miles with very minimal fees on a far superior airline. We lost a little bit of money due to TAP's crazy cancelation policy, but overall we're going to be much happier and treated much better.

I really hope they get their acts together, because I really would like to travel to Portugal sometime soon. I cannot speak to the conditions of the airline or the staff onboard, but from what I've heard it sounds like it's hit or miss regarding most the the experience. For now I'll wait for some drastic improvements before trying TAP anytime soon.

1  Thank erinbirge
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

it was my shortest leg of just 50min, the check in was hyper efficient, got my boarding passes for the next two legs on a different airline but same alliance, perfect check in and those two girls doing service on board were rushing to provide even a small snack and drinks during the short flight

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The reviews I read scared me to death! I prepared myself for the worst. I chose TAP because of the direct flight.
Other than a little disorganized boarding process. The flight was on time. The staff were great. The cabin was great. The food and wine were so good. I am returning on Friday and not scared.

2  Thank kakelly2164
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I flew Copenhagen - Lisboa - Ponta Delgada (Azores) and I was very satisfied with TAP Portugal. Boarding was arranged starting with families/disabled then gold members, passengers without small hand luggage and last those with cabin bags. This way the plane filled up quickly without passangers blocking the aisle.

On my flights (less than four hours), no inflight entertainment was offered. The seats were very tight! I couldn't lean forward the least bit.

An alright meal or snack is included on every flight. Staff is professional. Good value for money!